Scotland in August - Madness? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Have annual leave 8th to 20th August and we love Scotland, unfortunatly I have to take this leave in August as it's the way my rota works and it's use it or lose it.

But Scotland, in August? Isn't it gonna be full of midges, kids and other motorhomers?
Alternatives are Ireland but ferry is about £400 so sod that and again still school hols etc, other alternative is France which still means a ferry but about half the price so maybe a possibility.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Scottish schools go back in mid August, the 11th I think. Should be fewer children about after that.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Scottish schools go back in mid August, the 11th I think. Should be fewer children about after that.
According to scottish borders website its the 16th and according to aberdeen council its the 23rd and Dumfries and galloway its the 22nd, so some variation and all too late for my dates :-/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A lot less midges on the east coast,stick to that ,loads to see up that side.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
According to scottish borders website its the 16th and according to aberdeen council its the 23rd and Dumfries and galloway its the 22nd, so some variation and all too late for my dates :-/
Highland schools go back on the 11th and an inset day on the 14th
But our "crowds" are rarely locals

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Mmm agreed Scottish schools go back mid August but a lot of tourist trade is English - local businesses in Wester Ross open and close in line with English school holidays rather than Scottish ones. Saying that ‘packed’ in Scotland is like a quiet day in England 😂.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Have annual leave 8th to 20th August and we love Scotland, unfortunatly I have to take this leave in August as it's the way my rota works and it's use it or lose it.

But Scotland, in August? Isn't it gonna be full of midges, kids and other motorhomers?
Alternatives are Ireland but ferry is about £400 so sod that and again still school hols etc, other alternative is France which still means a ferry but about half the price so maybe a possibility.

We did 3 weeks in Ireland last August. Expensive ferry yes but it was very quiet. Not many motorhomes about at all.

....but personally I would do France. Better chance of better weather. Irish ferries Dover - Calias crossing is very competitively priced and you can use tesco clubcard points if you have those.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
it will still be quite busy (I think)
Yeah I think it will be :-(

Highland schools go back on the 11th and an inset day on the 14th
But our "crowds" are rarely locals
Indeed, I've borne that in mind, ie likely lots of people heading to Scotland adding to the "cons" list of going in August.

Mmm agreed Scottish schools go back mid August but a lot of tourist trade is English - local businesses in Wester Ross open and close in line with English school holidays rather than Scottish ones. Saying that ‘packed’ in Scotland is like a quiet day in England 😂.
Still be packed enough I suspect to impact on finding places to stay from a wilding perspective. I normally have a plan B when turning up to places, might need a plan c and d in August.

We did 3 weeks in Ireland last August. Expensive ferry yes but it was very quiet. Not many motorhomes about at all.

....but personally I would do France. Better chance of better weather. Irish ferries Dover - Calias crossing is very competitively priced and you can use tesco clubcard points if you have those.

Weatherwise I'm not too bothered to be fair, in fact neither of is like it far above 23-25 degrees. So if france was likely be as hot as it is currently it would very much put us off. However £300-£500 for the ferry to Ireland is a lot of diesel or a few nice dinners out. France would be cheaper but even the cheaper £200ish ferry is a bit (but only a bit) offputting.
So maybe some weather watching is necessary and then decide, north or south..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I guarantee you’ll have no issues finding somewhere to stay in D&G, we live here and never pre booked and yet to struggle. We’re off to Portpatrick this weekend and if the sites are full we’ll move on.
As for wilding you’ll find somewhere no problem

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Midges - depends where you're going. We just did a couple of weeks in the Cairngorms, and didn't see a single midge.
Kids - We have those up here. Some of local, some are imported from further afield.
Motorhomers - quite a lot around, especially around the main driving routes (SW300 & NC500).
Note to self - teach midges to feast on cyclists and kids.

Ireland is great, and a lot quieter. Can recommend the Wild Atlantic Way.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Midges - depends where you're going. We just did a couple of weeks in the Cairngorms, and didn't see a single midge.
Kids - We have those up here. Some of local, some are imported from further afield.
Motorhomers - quite a lot around, especially around the main driving routes (SW300 & NC500).
Note to self - teach midges to feast on cyclists and kids.

Ireland is great, and a lot quieter. Can recommend the Wild Atlantic Way.
Aye, don't worry Ireland I'm well aware being a Donegal man myself, always go once or twice a year but keep it out of season and visit my parents. It's the expense in august thats putting me off really.

Scotland id definitely be avoiding the NC500 etc.

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Up the East coast St Abbs have a couple of cc sites you can even stop overnight in the harbour. Then up to Dunbar and around the coast North Berwick etc. Some great spots along that coast.

Have fun

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Up the East coast St Abbs have a couple of cc sites you can even stop overnight in the harbour. Then up to Dunbar and around the coast North Berwick etc. Some great spots along that coast.

Have fun
Yeah, stopped on the Harbour at St. Abbs before, nice wee spot, North Berwicks a bit of a favourite of ours too.

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
There's another one opened this year in the grounds of the café on the way down to St Abbs on the left hand side 5 pitchs looks nice just by the start of the walk to St. Abbs lighthouse

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
There's another one opened this year in the grounds of the café on the way down to St Abbs on the left hand side 5 pitchs looks nice just by the start of the walk to St. Abbs lighthouse
I was all excited until I saw it's a CAMC CL, I've just left them in favour of the CCC :-/

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Woohoo, finally 11 days off, Whitby first then probably North Berwick though just found that they are having the annual festival! So, there's a plan b and c there! After that we think St. Andrews and I can go visit my Brother, his wife and newborn. Once that's done I think we'll pootle over and onto Mull for a few days as we've never been :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back