scooter choice (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I'm struggling to find the specs for scooters.
I think I'm looking for one about 100 cc, possibly up to 125 cc. And as light as possible, got to think about payload, overhang etc.
I know it wont be as fast as my VFR 750, but nipping in and out of St Tropez have you seen the traffic ?
Has anyone been through this exercise recently, and can perhaps save me a bit of time ?

regards

Allen

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Scooter

I had several Peugeot 100cc Speedfights over a 10 year period. All very good and never let me down, having said that all were below 5000mls when sold. Carried on a 3500 van all over europe.
Total weight of me and passenger about 23 stone.
Ron W

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
scooter

Hi Allen went through this about a year ago ended up selling my 900 Ninja to get a 125 Piaggio Fly 106kg but had to upgrade chassis to take the weight most 125 are 100kg to 120kg its good for 70mph 2 up in about 1 year lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I have a Peugeot 100cc Luxor looks like a scooter but has proper size wheels and is ok for us.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I've got a Gilera 180 Runner which reputedly does 0 - 60 in 5.6 sec.
It's certainly fast for a small scooter and will carry two up at 75/80mph.
I think it weighs about 130kg.
I bought it when we had our previous m/home but then we swapped to this one which won't take the load on the tow bar. It's done less than 500 miles and I might be tempted to sell if you're interested.

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
I have just got rid of my Honda Lead nhx 110cc, it was great for carrying on the back of the m/h and with the storage under the seat we could get 2 crash helmets stored under there, we also had a top box fitted which increased our carrying space.

With me at 13 Stone and the wife at ??? we could still do 50-55 mph.

Kev

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
As an ex VFR750 owner I can advise against Piaggio. I had a Skipper from new and the build quality is appalling compared to Hondas and Kwackers. At the first service I had to pay for a replacement stand buffer which had fallen off as it was considered a "consumable" by Piaggio.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Honda Sh125i. Great piece of kit. Reliable, both rider and pillion have a comfortable seat, 120kg, large wheels giving better stability on the road than small wheel scooters.

Ours is used with the standard back box and a pair of bag type panniers which are strapped across and under the seat. This means we can use a trolley for supermarket shopping and know we can bring it all back. Also have been known to carry upwards of 65 litre of water in a mixture of squashy bags and 10 and 5 ltr water carriers. The bike remains stable and corners well with the weight unlike our previous 100cc Speedfight which got decidedly hairy with the same weight.

We are "comfortably built" and the bike gets up to 60mph on the flat and performs well on hills.

richyork

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
york
Funster No
MH
not sure ??? c?
Exp
6 months
the honda and pugeot scooters share the same engines the only thing to watch with these really is the cdi can cause problems ,avoid chinise built scooters as the castings more or less dissolve what with road salt ,aprillia and gilera 50 and 125 are ok especially the runner

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Allen

Have a look at the Piaggio Liberty 125. Bought one 5 years ago as I wanted a big wheel scooter with enough power to take two on longer journey's in comfort as well as the daily jaunt for baguettes. It weighs 96kg and to date hasn't missed a beat.

The ride is very comfortable and the larger wheels cope with pot holes, poor road surfaces and tram tracks much better than my previous scooter. Handling is excellent and the bike stays very stable during low speed turning and braking. The big wheels seem less skittish in the wet, and the rear suspension has four adjustable pre-loads. Takes two easily on a very comfortable seat and will hit 70mph. The front panel gives good wind and weather protection

Fuel consumption (unleaded) is around 90mpg and there is space for one open helmet under the seat. I have put a Piaggio top box on which takes two helmets and a security chain. There is an immobiliser fitted as standard.

The engine is the 125cc Leader fitted to millions of Vespa's and Piaggio's and service is very easy using a Haynes manual. It is a lovely engine, pulls strongly at low speeds in traffic and is not fazed, two-up, with Alpine roads.

Insurance is £80 fully comp with Carol Nash, £15 RFL.

It is a brilliant bike for short and long journeys and EBay usually has a few for sale. It seems to be very popular with potential London cabbies doing the 'Knowledge'.

Buying a Piaggio was a leap of faith for me as I am a past Honda owner but must admit to have been won over by the Liberty. Ticks most of the boxes, costs peanuts to run and fits onto an Easylifter rack with ease.

Pat

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
If you are tall people and like a bit of discomfort but have a super versatile great fun handling bike not scoot try a Yamaha WRX250 106kg. its a pukka enduro but can get road legal bits like lights etc . Alan

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Scooters etc

We have used a Chinese Jincheng (110 Honda Cub Engine) similar to the Honda Innova for about 4 years.
Can't comment on salt problems but to date it has been faultless, still even on the original battery. The plastic bits are a bit flimsy but I paid £600 new agains £1800 for an Innova. Cruises at 50mph two up with all of the shopping stored between my knees.
It has been up and down the Alps a couple of times with no problems so far, granted its not quite the same as was my BMW or Triumph but we couldn't get then inside the Garage.
Be cautious when knocking Chinese I am advised some of the more poular machines are no longer manufactured in the Country of Head office origin. My last Suzuki was made in Mexico.
I would have purchased a new Royal Enfield a couple of weeks ago but just couldn't work out how to get it inside the garage, a smidjen too long.

Steve

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I have just bought a new Bennelli pepe lx only a 50 cc but they do make them bigger. So far its a great wee bike and weight is just under 90kg its to take me back and forward to work not for the motorhome, they are made in italy has big wheels and good storage and nice and comfy for me at 6foot. Also looks very nice and not like a boy racer :ROFLMAO:

Gerry

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Peugeot Speedfight II at 95KG. Love ours to bits.

good points - 125 performance but 100cc weight. Handles really well, reliable.

Bad points - small petrol tank (just over a gallon) can be a pain in France or where there are not many stations, firm sporty ride gets tiresome after 50 miles+. also if you get one (and this is probably good advice for other scooters) take a spare drive belt with you. Ours snapped in the mid Pyrenees this summer and after going to 7 bike shops including Peugeot dealers the fastest the French could get a belt was two weeks+. I had to get one shipped from the UK! Made it to St Tropez eventually though and it didnt look out of place!

BD

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
We have a piagio zip 50 had no probs to date dont think build quality is any worse than most other makes. Anyway they do various models in various cc's so thats my 2 peneth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back