LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Our Pilote G600 has the above fitted, this is the first van we have had with a Schaudt electroblock all our other vans have had Sargent units. Is there any way of switching off the battery charger while still having 240 volt plugged in (I keep the heating on frost guard) On the Sargent units there is a switch for the charger, but I can't see one on the Schaudt. Am I missing something simple here, (it doesn't take much):confused:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If none then pull mains lead on front of ebl. Thats only way on our van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Elektroblock is fine to be left permanently on but if you really want to turn it off just pull the IEC mains plug out of the front of it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have the same unit.... in the manual there is a diagram and I think you can either pull the appropriate fuse or disconnect the lead . I don't bother, to be honest

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Could be, why switch off the charger ?
There are two trains of thought re leaving on charge all of the time, was just wanting the option of having heating on frost guard without charger being on all of the time

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After looking into Schaudt Electroblock chargers and the way they work. I found out that they can give too much charge when on hook a long time, this can kill batterys especially Banners if not topped up regularly. (Thanks to AandN caravans for lots of sound advice).Since fitting two new Varta LFD batterys to my Pilote I now pull the kettle like plug out which means the mains power is still live to power a small heater.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Our Pilote G600 has the above fitted, this is the first van we have had with a Schaudt electroblock all our other vans have had Sargent units. Is there any way of switching off the battery charger while still having 240 volt plugged in (I keep the heating on frost guard) On the Sargent units there is a switch for the charger, but I can't see one on the Schaudt. Am I missing something simple here, (it doesn't take much):confused:
If you have a fused consumer unit then you should be able to isolate the EBL there. In my MH I have 4 fused isolator switches, EBL, 240v sockets, Alde boiler and Air con unit.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The Elektroblock is fine to be left permanently on but if you really want to turn it off just pull the IEC mains plug out of the front of it.
NO Its not designed safe to be left permanently on according to Udo Land at Schaudt

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Don't see why not, it reduces to a maintenance voltage once the batteries are charged, no mention of it in either Schaudt or Hymer manuals.
Because they burn out. The manufacturer advised me about this when I emailed them. They get around £300 every time they rebuild one so that maybe why they dont say so in the manual. Udo Lang is their chief technician so I will take his word as correct.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Because they burn out. The manufacturer advised me about this when I emailed them. They get around £300 every time they rebuild one so that maybe why they dont say so in the manual. Udo Lang is their chief technician so I will take his word as correct.
Not fit for purpose then, I rarely ever plug into EHU so not a problem for me.
Udo also told me the Gel setting was fine with Banner AGM batteries!!!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not fit for purpose then, I rarely ever plug into EHU so not a problem for me.
Udo also told me the Gel setting was fine with Banner AGM batteries!!!

Their argument is that they are not designed for permanent use. In my opinion they are either deliberately designed to fail, creating extra profit in repairs and replacements or they are indeed not entirely as you say "fit for purpose"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back