Scam?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hollyberry, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I replied to an ad on the Caravan Club site, van for sale. I specifically asked for location as I don't want to travel to Other end of country to view a van.

Reckon it's a scam.

Reply:
    I`m still selling the van which comes with new MOT and Road Tax, HPI report, low mileage and full service history, never involved in any type of accident, excellent condition, looks and drives great. The final price is not negotiable: £3500. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it and an unpaid mortgage that is due next week. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. This way you will actually pay for van after reception and inspection, considering that the funds will be held and released to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery. Do you think a 7 days inspection period will be enough? Within this time frame you have to decide if you purchase it or not. If you decide against the purchase you will be fully refunded without any added charges to your account. The vehicle will be returned to me if you reject it upon inspection, but I honestly doubt this will happen.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

And nowhere can I find it on Ebay........

3. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I think you're right to be suspicious about this one Hollyberry, the wording doesn't sound right somehow, not for a recently widowed lady. 'The mortgage becomes due next week?' What's that about. I may be totally wrong but as always............. Buyer Beware!

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I can understand someone recently widowed panicking over money--it's a common trait, even amongst those who have sufficient money.
    But all the Ebay clap trap sounds false--and pay before I see it? I don't think so.......

I can't work out how yo trace an email origin on an ipad--I'll have to dig out the old laptop & try on that.

5. Bertie Bassett

Very wise.(y)

6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Another sleepless night!

Just digging around found this from CC website: for a caravan for sale and it looks ever so familiar.......

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email. This van has a full service history and all documentation is present including CRIS, all registered in my name I did the change of name just a few weeks ago. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it and an unpaid mortgage that is due next week. The final price is not negotiable: £2800. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it including a HPI check, they have checked and saw that there's no finance or other problems with it. In this sale I will include all the accessories that we have it it. eg. gas bottle, water tank, new awning that we didn`t even unpacked £300 value and a lot more.As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed you are interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

7. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Definitely a scam. Stay well clear. If you see a van thats too far away then post and hopefully a local funster can make an initial viewing. You could then go and view it if all was good with it.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

9. Bertie Bassett

It looks a bit 'organised' to me. The person 'writing' this has a goodish command of english but every now and again the formation of a sentence/wording just isn't correct nor an it be put down to a typo e.g. 'new awning that we didn't even unpacked'; 'they have checked and saw that there's no finance' . There are others but it simply doesn't read true.

10. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Trust your gut feeling and steer well, well away from this utter garbage !

11. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

As said definitely a scam and a pretty common one

12. Terry

Terry Funster

SCAM,SCAM,SCAM :Dthey will send you a false ebay page and details to pay -prob a Barclay;s bank (always a favorite;))the money would disappear within mins of you paying it in and you would see neither your money or a van :)
    No comeback on ebay because it was not a ebay transaction (false page)and the banks don't care :eek:
    Don't go near it :eek:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  13. mike9jr

mike9jr Read Only Funster

Agree. It IS a scam!
    No doubt. Ignore it and move on.

14. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

You see the CC have a better class of scammers, they can almost write English! :ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
  15. simbadog

simbadog Funster

[​IMG]

16. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Would not touch it with a barge pole. You should inform the caravan club about this one.
    Phil

17. simbadog

simbadog Funster

18. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Haha! £5000 ... that's a giveaway for a start ...

19. chaser

chaser Funster

20. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

That's something else I noticed. Ad is on CC site, link to caravans forsake.co.uk and there it's an ad for a van to hire.

Reported it to CC. I reckoned it was a scam as soon as I saw the pay now and it'll be delivered by Shiply.

Thanks, expert panel, for all your views!