Say No To Bakers Complete Dog Food

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dawn B, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

[​IMG]

BAKERS COMPLETE ADULT AND PUPPY DOG FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [this is well worth reading if you have any cares about the health of your dog or have a conscience]
    Would you feed your dog a food which contains THIRTEEN E numbers?
    Now, it's the law that dog food manufacturers have to state on their packaging for any bags over 10kg EVERY ingredient. They used to be able to say "EEC permitted colorants and preservatives". Now, here's the list in full:
    BHA, E320
    BHT, E321
    Propyl Gallate, E310
    Citric Acid, E330
    Potassium Sorbate, E202
    Propan -1,2-diol, E490
    Iron Oxide, E172
    Indigo Carmine, E132
    Tartrazine, E102
    Sunset Yellow, E110
    Quinoline Yellow, E104
    Titanium Dioxide, E171
    Carbon Black, E153
    In more detail:
    E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma
    E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being used in infant foods. So bad McNasty's have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.
    E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia
    E172 - Banned in Germany
    E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children.
    Prohibited in Norway.
    E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them
    E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals
    E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.
    E171 - Banned in Germany
    E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.
    And which food contains all these?
    Bakers Complete.
    Please tell everyone you know with a dog to STOP feeding them this food. As you would imagine, it causes hyperactivity - this is often misdiagnosed as a 'behavioural' problem, and I know of dogs who have been PUT TO SLEEP by owners who have assumed they have a 'bad dog'.
    It's disgusting that in these days where we are all very aware of additives and colorants causing bad behaviour in kids, these same colorants are being fed to animals causing the exact same symptoms.
    The only difference is that people don't have their kids put down - sadly, dogs don't get the benefit of the doubt, and the opportunity of a proper diet.
    I've also heard Pedigree is just as bad!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I fed this to Susie for 15 years of her life.
    She had a lot of the problems mentioned.
    I wish I had known about this years ago bless her, she wouldn't have had to use the vets as much and with un diagnosed problems, but lots of visits trying to diagnose,which probably led to her death eventually last year? ?????
    I feel so bad about this.
    Why aren't we told about these things,letting poor animals suffer like this?

3. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

We had never used Bakers until we went to our daughters five years ago, our dog loved it, so we changed. After about six months found her claws had started to become brittle, especially her dew claws, also she appeared to have become more hyper and disobedient. Vet advised us Bakers is effectively cr!!!!. Have changed back to James Welbeloved and she is a different much healthier dog.

4. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I fed Homer (him over to the left) on Baker's from a puppy, right up to 14 when he died.

He was super healthy and rarely needed the vets. Always had a beautiful coat.

But still nice to know potential problems. But also the quantities of the ingredients may be so miniscule as to be irrelevant.

Our new mutt, Elvis, won't touch the stuff :Laughing:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  5. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I've never used bakers, but have noticed the difference to my dogs coat if she's not fed properly.

I use Burns dog food, expensive, but free of additives and bulking agents. My vet also recommended a tin of cheap sardines a week and if your dogs coat is dry, Aldi or Lidl evening primrose oil.

Actually when costed out it's not too bad, anyway, what cost a happy heathy pet...priceless.

http://burnspet.co.uk

• Like Like x 3
  6. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

I changed my two springers feed from bakers about a year ago on the advice of my vet.Apparently dogs love it but it doesnt love them, he told me its like feeding your kids on Mcdonalds take outs for every meal . they are still fed on dry food but on a better quality make with no nasty adatives in it.

7. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

When it was Genuinely Bakers and

a family firm & they were proud of the content.

but since PURINA Bought the Company I has me Doubts:Sad:

• Like Like x 2
  8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As above.

Dawn will not touch Bakers dog food as it really is artificial and not very good at all. For the cost of a sack of complete dog food (if that is what you choose to feed the dog - opinions and habits vary; not wrong, just different) it is much more worthwhile buying one of the premium brands available. The cost per day is not that much in the big scheme of things and your faithful friend will really appreciate it.

Jake's diet is mixed but based on a premium dried food with occasional bits added, plus anything he can steal from the worktop when we aren't looking.......:Wink:

9. moonman

moonman Read Only Funster

A little knowledge is very dangerous and the selective use of so call studies taken from the internet should not be taken as gospel.
    I worked for the parent company of Bakers for over 30 years and was closely involved with pet food manufacture. The company employs both in Europe and the US many food scientists and vets / nutritionists etc costing millions each years to develop tasty nutritious recipes and assess their short and long term effect on pets.
    I have a 10 year old collie that has been reared and fed Bakers without any detrimental effects - quite the contrary. If your animal has a sensitivity to a particular food I suggest you try another rather than go on a rant!
    I might also declare an interest - and add that my pension depends on the on going success of the company. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It is a free country - our choice was taken after looking at all the additives and the actual protein value of the food.

Basically you get what you pay for - a budget dog food will have budget ingredients and budget nutritional values. A quick look on a sack of Bakers complete will tell you all you need to know. No matter what is said in the above post, it is low quality. Other brands have similar low values.

We fed our Springer Spaniel on Bakers many years ago when it was privately owned and she did ok on it but now it is on our list of dog food not to buy for the above reasons. The factory in the middle of Sudbury stinks as well.......... which doesn't help perceptions.

Give a dog a decent diet..... They rely upon you for their health and well being

• Like Like x 3
  11. moonman

moonman Read Only Funster

I have visited the factory many times including a visit just after it was acquired - and can say that it has been greatly improved. So if it smells now it must have also smelt before only more so (but perhaps when it was locally owned that didn't matter so much)
    So your dog thrived on Bakers before you found out the recipe - as the recipe is unlikely to have changed significantly since then I think you've proved my point.
    Yes its a free world and you pay your money and takes your choice and yes there are more expensive and perhaps more complete foods out there - but if you are going to publicly slag off one against the other then please use factual evidence based arguments rather than value judgements

12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The irony is the colouring is not for the dog, which couldn't care less what colour its food is, but to make the food more appealing to the owner.

• Like Like x 9
  13. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

My brother used to eat Bonios when he was younger ,he`s still ok at 61:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I sort of understand the post, as I see it, it would seem that almost everything we buy....including dog food, has "E's" in it. I don't like - but have to eat- human food with "E" ingredients in it, no alternative, I do wonder, what on earth was so wrong with food, before the "E's". And why is it so expensive to buy, food without "E". :Doh:

15. sticky130

sticky130 Read Only Funster

WE feed raw food from Honey's.

When Hari first saw it she kinda looked at us and went 'is that it??' It amazes me how little they actually need, and compared to if she ate dried food, there must be a lot of fillers in kibble to bulk it out, what goes in must come out and boy don't you notice a difference.

Oh and we give her salmon oil for her coat as well.

When we are out and about though she has Lily's dried, as I recognise every ingredient in there and I think this is a good rule of thumb.

16. Mike B

Mike B Funster

My Dawn won't eat it either. :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Whilst I totally respect everyone's right to their own opinions, I do NOT like threads like this simply to 'worry' people and to 'vilify' a company/product based on some article which has been 'found' on the internet. No link has been provided to the site showing it to confirm who actually wrote this article and when, so it is not sensible to react to it in a knee-jerk way.

If you have concerned then do you own 'sensible' research, not just going from one report, look at other products too for both positive AND negative comments, then make an judgement, and then, if you wish, post your finding on here so that the rest of us can likewise make an educated decision too.

:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

Anyone looking for good infomation on on dog foods, and any other info on dogs or any other pet should take a look at www.petforums.co.uk There is a sticky on dry dog food, that uses a traffic light system for best/worst dog foods.

I do find it interesting, that it appears that "Joe public" buy Bakers, by the ton,and yet the "dog world" seem to consistently slate it.

I would not feed it, because there are so many foods that are so much better, and my dog is worthy of the best I can do for her.
    On another forum recently several people reccommended a particular dry food, because it was cheap! When I checked the ingredient list, the main ingredient was wheat at 47% further down the list was other grain products bringingthe total to well over 50%,might as well feed your dog on Rabbit food.

Dogs will eat most food that is put in front of them, they are scavengers by nature, but surely that doesnt mean we have to feed them rubbish.:Eeek:

19. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i assumed the research was already done with other countries most of these e numbers in 1 country or another is that not research enough if in doubt keep feeding a animal who cant say this is no good for me these e numbers :Smile:
    or better still take em yourself and save the dog the pain job done

• Like Like x 3
  20. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I didn't think that in the day and age, folk still believed that E numbers are automatically poisonous :Rofl1:

Have a read of this to put your mind at ease :Smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/food/2010/08/are-e-numbers-really-bad-for-y.shtml