Satellite tv

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Apr 15, 2013.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

2. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

I'm no expert! But have been considering options for Europe. Problems seem to be:

Where in Europe you planto go, Spain and Portugal will require around 120 dish

Changes due to Astra footprint. May become narrower in future and result in no or poor reception further from UK

I'm at Peterborough show this week so will let you know if I can get better information for you.

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

A portable dish on a tripod will give a perfect picture however this one is very expensive.....
    I used to use an old sky dish on a tripod. The tripod cost me £15.
    A sat box can be bought for £20 or £30, a 12V HD Box for £50. I used an old sky Box so total cost to me for this type of system was £20.

Without the box you can buy this dish, tripod, quad LNB and cables with connectors for £40.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZONE-1-PORTABLE-SATELLITE-DISH-KIT-SYSTEM-WITH-CAMPING-TRIPOD-QUAD-LNB-BNIB-/360636876750?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item53f7a207ce

add a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grundig-Freesat-SD-Satellite-Freeview-Receiver-Set-Top-Box-Replacement-for-Sky-/310429543603?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item48470aecb3box

Total cost for this system £65... If you want a signal meter you can buy one for a couple of pounds, but after a few practices you will not need one....
    As to how far south in Europe you can receive a signal will primarily depend on the dish with whatever system you buy.

We now have a Road Pro Dome on the roof. Perfect on a rainy day, as at the press of a button its working within 30 seconds, without faffing about in the rain. More expensive of course.

:BigGrin:

4. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Pretty sure this is identical to a recently purchased set-up - bought from a local retailer rather than e-bay, was listed at the same price but got £30 discount. Haven't tried it properly yet but it seems OK apart from a few teething troubles. The parent company (if it is the same unit) have a very good helpline and were most helpful with initial setup. One or two niggles - the storage bag zips failed, that has been replaced free of charge, the retaining clip that secures the arm in its socket on the dish has vanished, though it seems fairly secure without it, and the sat receiver unit seems a bit flimsy. The satellite dish and tripod, however, are really well made and solid. The easyfind system works well - there's a light on the transponder unit (on the end of the arm that fits to the dish) which turns amber then green when you're on the satellite. All in all I'm reasonably satisfied with it, though as I say it hasn't had a real trial "in the wild" as yet.

Hope this helps :BigGrin:

5. Scarrow

Scarrow Read Only Funster

I have one very similar to the one on the link. The price seems slightly less than what I paid. This company claims “NOW WITH EASYFIND! The amazing new system to help you get a satellite lock in seconds”:Rofl1: Well that is a slightly bold claim. It’s quite a delicate operation locking onto a satellite even with the ‘easyfind’ light system. But considering the cost difference between having a fixed self seeking mounted dish and the one on the link, it’s a very good cost saving alternative option.:thumb:

6. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Edit:::

Actually for a 80cm dish with the Easy-Find LNB and compatible receiver it's not a bad deal. It saves arsing around with one of those squealing sat-finder boxes.

I too have moved to an automatic roof mounted system. Which reminds me I must sell my old kit on the MHF classifieds.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

8. dshague

dshague Funster

this is only £75 Satellite Suitcase
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/27728985/667369127/Satellite-Suitcase/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315%7Ccat:27728985%7Cprd:27728985&kw={keyword}
    works fine in uk france and parts of spain :thumb: