Satellite tv

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GAUDIE, Sep 22, 2011.

1. GAUDIE

GAUDIE Read Only Funster

I intend travelling to Spain early next year and would welcome some advice on what satellite tv system to cover Spain and in the future possibly Italy, although Spain is the priority.
    I have had a quote for a Road Pro 40 cm dome but although it covers France well ie most GB channels it is very limited in Spain ie ok just south of Barcelona.
    If anyone has any advice on a system they have found to be reliable and able to cover Spain and possibly Italy, I would welcome their input please.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You would need a huge dish to get UK channels south of Barcelona .. 1.5mt or more..
    I had a 65cm .. that's about as big as you can comfortably carry or mount on the roof.

Further south you will get the Astra 2 southern beam with quite a few English channels. The ones I recall are BBC News, Euro News, true movies , men and motors ... you should get this with a 40 cm dome..

If you Google 'Astra footprints' it will show what satellites and size of dish required..

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ditto what Scotjim has said..
    Once you get down past Barcelona you loose the signals for the main British channels like BBC, ITV etc... In reality nothing you can buy and carry with you is practical.
    Personally I have a 66cm Maxview crank up and that does fine for me.

Many going further south and doin long stays buy big dishes locally and fit them up for the stay and re-sell afterwards. Also some campsites have cabled in systems where you can plug in and sometimes give you channels like BBC that they receive on a large dish..

4. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Found this pretty picture giving dish sizes for Spain :thumb:

Attached Files:

5. wander

wander Read Only Funster

We live on the Costa Blanca and need a 2.4metre dish to receive UK TV and then its not always picture perfect, often depends on the atmospherics.

Wouldn't fancy bolting it to the top of the van either!!:Rofl1:

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Gaurdie
    I was thinking of a 1 metre Autosat fully auto matic dish mounted on the top, But I am now thinking of just taking my 1.2 metre free standing dish which gets all we want, subject to the weather and asking other campers what they have on their fitted dish or domes, no answer to your question I know but a bit of info, we go to Lamanga and Bonterra park which are both south of barceloner. Pete

7. majo

majo Read Only Funster

Only ever winter on the Algarve, where it is possible to rent a 1.3m dish. This will receive most UK television channels except in really bad conditions. Cost 40€ to set up then 15€ per month.

Does no one do this on the Costa's.

I have picked up ITV and BBC in Caceres north of Seville on an 85cm Oyster auto skew.
    :BigGrin: