Satellite Tv basic questions! (1 Viewer)

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
1990 Hymer B544.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the lunchbox so apologies if I am sounding stupid here!
So, I have a Camos Flat Sat Crank Up Satellite Antenna on the roof, this is connected to the rotational handle in the van. There is a co ax cable coming out which I think is connected to an Ftype Connector? Inside the van there is a 240v plug next to the tv bracket, which is next to a slide out draw. If I want to watch tv when on EHU is it ok to use a normal tv with a freeview box, with both of these plugged into the 240v? Can I use an ols sky box with the card swapped over? Do I need any other plugs/connectors? Obviously I couldn't do this without EHU, and don't necessarily want to either.

What would you do? I'm not that bothered about it really, but it might settle the kids down a bit on a wet day.
Is there anything I have missed?
Many thanks!!

Attachments

• aerial.JPG
    aerial.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 57
  • connector.JPG
    connector.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 54

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes you can use a sky box but the card needs to be paired to the box. You can also run the box and tv on 12v using an inverter
the f-plug goes into the back of the satellite decoder or sky box then use hdmi or scart to connect the box to the tv

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would think your sky box would work fine, only thing I'm not sure about is if your card would work in a different box from its intended one. I know in the past this was fine but something tells me this has changed. If you have sky in another room then just take that box and card.

I'm sure someone will be along with more info

I see the big1 posted as I was writing reply so this confirms about card and box

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Marcus75

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
Many thanks both, sorry if this sounds like basic questions, but this is all very new to me and I don’t want to fry anything!

What I am worried most about I think is both a small tv and the freeview/freesat/old sky box (whatever it will be) both being plugged into the one particular 240v socket in the van. I would only do this on EHU. That would be ok wouldn’t it?

To be honest I can’t imagine us doing a lot of camping off grid and if we did then I wouldn’t even use the equipment as I would be worried about running the leisure battery down.

I can’t see the point of myself of tv in the van but the kids might like it occasionally.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What I am worried most about I think is both a small tv and the freeview/freesat/old sky box (whatever it will be) both being plugged into the one particular 240v socket in the van. I would only do this on EHU. That would be ok wouldn’t it?
absolutely no problem with what you want to do. neither the tv nor the box draw much current

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
As I understand it, and bearing in mind I've not tried it yet ... UK EHU provides 16 amps at 240v which equates to about 3600 watts. Most equipment has a label on the back that tells you how many watts it draws so you can add up anything that will be running simultaneously eg tv, satelite, fridge if it's electric, heating if it's on and draws, phone chargers etc. too. It doesn't matter much which socket these are plugged into, it's the total watts that matter. In Europe the EHU is often 10a equalling only 2300 watts, so less to play with.

Please feel free to correct this, anyone with more experience :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just spent 2 days on a CL with only 6A EHU so was only used to charge batteries. Guy thinks it would stop all the heaters and kettles being constantly used. Varies throughout the UK and Europe.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just spent 2 days on a CL with only 6A EHU so was only used to charge batteries. Guy thinks it would stop all the heaters and kettles being constantly used. Varies throughout the UK and Europe.

I think the calculation is Amps x Volts = Watts ... so 6A would give about 1380 watts, careful with that toaster Eugene ;)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
@Marcus75 you mention freeview i'm sure this wont work with your sat dish it will have to be free sat or sky,

OP
OP
Marcus75

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
@Marcus75 you mention freeview i'm sure this wont work with your sat dish it will have to be free sat or sky,

Oh. Why wouldn't freeview work then? The aerial on the roof is just an aerial surely, plug the co ax cable out of the aerial into a freeview box and then to the tv, or straight into a free view enabled t.v?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh. Why wouldn't freeview work then? The aerial on the roof is just an aerial surely, plug the co ax cable out of the aerial into a freeview box and then to the tv, or straight into a free view enabled t.v?

A sat dish is not just an aerial, it's a whole miniature receiver tuned to satellite frequencies.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

Without getting too technical, a Freeview/TV aerial works in the RF wave band. Satellite dishes work on a different band and your Freeview wouldn't be able to use it. If you point the dish directly at a TV tower you might be able to pick up some of the terrestrial TV stations, but the same is probably true of the wire that leads to the dish ;)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I assumed you had a sat dish and not an aerial, if this is the case you wont get any pictures without a sat box. A freeview is for normal TV aerials which of course you might have its just you mention Sat in the original post.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Freeview - UK TV via a TV aerial.
You cannot use a Freeview box in conjunction with a satellite dish,. as they are two different transmission types.

A Sky box, even with no viewing card will still be able to receive all the free UK TV satellite channels (BBC ITV C4 5)

You can use a Sky card in ANY Sky digibox and still receive most sky pay channels.
The card only need to be paired to the box for the premium Sky services (Sky Sports, Sky Movies, BT Sports, Sky HD channels, and recording Sky Pay channels on a Sky+ or Sky+HD box)

OP
OP
Marcus75

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
ok cool, i think i get it. The satellite I have is to be used for a freesat box or my old SKY box, with my existing viewing card. Or if i wanted freeview I could get a freeview tv or box and use an indoor aerial.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Ok silly question time: the motorhome I have just got has an all singing and all dancing satellite system fitted. I do not have Sky tv or Freesat so does that render it useless ?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Ok silly question time: the motorhome I have just got has an all singing and all dancing satellite system fitted. I do not have Sky tv or Freesat so does that render it useless ?
Your all singing all dancing system may well include a satellite receiver, Name, type of system and a few pics would help you get a better answer.
Cheers
Ed

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

What kind of TV do you have? It may have a satellite decoder built-in.

If not, you need a free to air digibox between the satellite dish magic box and TV.

Edit - as @Sheddy said, you probably have a satellite receiver tucked away somewhere.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you I will have a better look

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not at all useless, you can use it with freesat. depends if it is already installed or you can add a cheap decoder box or built into modern tv's

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Remember, you can buy a Sky box off of Fleabay, better if it is the same type as you have at home, and install it in your motorhome.. Then each time you go away just put the card in the box in the motorhome and pair it up. When you return pair it back to your home box. Simples and saves all the faffff of unplugging and moving boxes. Here is the pairing link.......................

www.sky.com/quickfix

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Trouble is I don't have Sky at home I only have paupers TV ( freeview )

Deleted User
Hi,
Have been a moho owner 18 months, all and everything, the most, thee most difficult item to master is watching TV. In any format.
Bought a 2nd hand Kathrien German made sat system, original price and new avaiiable price of £4200. Supposed to be the most advanced and 800 channels etc.
Road Pro at Daventry, originally supplier, and fitted to my van a year ago. Worked on site, 2 months later nothing, hours and hours of trying to get this to work to no avail.
Back to Daventry today, and the man Olly did his magic and needed the GPS re aligning on the work bench. I say all this, in that all of these systems are so technical, that are way way above anyone who has no knowledge of higher electronics, sat data etc. It's costly, I'm out nearly a £1k and seen 3 hours TV in 15 months. Trust the experts, pay up and keep the paracetamol in the bottle.
Either that or go the wifi netflix and amazon way. Last resort watch DVD.
Stay sane:D

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many TVs now have built in satellite receiving capability. E.g. The popular 12v Avtex range. That should allow you to simply plug in to you satellite dish and tune it to all of the free-to-view channels. Alternatively get an inexpensive satellite receiver like this 12v one for £27:
Free TV (Lite v2) Full HD Free To Air Satellite Receiver, PVR Via USB,Video/Music Pl... Amazon product ASIN B06XSW5G8D
I have a twin LNB 85cm Oyster dish connected to my skybox, powered by a PSW inverter ( so it runs on 12V) connected to the Avtex TV, connected to wifi via a 4G Mifi, so we can get Sky on demand. Also an Amazon Firestick which also connects via the wifi. The TV is connected to the cab radio via a Bluetooth sender so we get the better sound from the radio speakers. What did we tune this extravagant system to last night? BBC Radio 2!

Deleted User
I just wish I had the brain power to learn this stuff, but my 1970 Collins Dictionary doesn't know.
twin LNB ? Oyster as compared to a? PSW Inverter, Avtex TV, is this better than Cello, Sony, etc?
Then there is wifi via a 4G Wifi, connected by and purchased from? Is SKY on demand different than standard contract?
TV and Cab radio via a bluetooth sender?
No criticism intended, but like I said, unless you practice and use new technology daily, it changes beyond OAP comprehension yearly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back