Satellite Tv basic questions!

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Marcus75, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

1990 Hymer B544.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the lunchbox so apologies if I am sounding stupid here!
    So, I have a Camos Flat Sat Crank Up Satellite Antenna on the roof, this is connected to the rotational handle in the van. There is a co ax cable coming out which I think is connected to an Ftype Connector? Inside the van there is a 240v plug next to the tv bracket, which is next to a slide out draw. If I want to watch tv when on EHU is it ok to use a normal tv with a freeview box, with both of these plugged into the 240v? Can I use an ols sky box with the card swapped over? Do I need any other plugs/connectors? Obviously I couldn't do this without EHU, and don't necessarily want to either.

What would you do? I'm not that bothered about it really, but it might settle the kids down a bit on a wet day.
    Is there anything I have missed?
    Many thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

yes you can use a sky box but the card needs to be paired to the box. You can also run the box and tv on 12v using an inverter
    the f-plug goes into the back of the satellite decoder or sky box then use hdmi or scart to connect the box to the tv

• Like Like x 1
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

I would think your sky box would work fine, only thing I'm not sure about is if your card would work in a different box from its intended one. I know in the past this was fine but something tells me this has changed. If you have sky in another room then just take that box and card.

I'm sure someone will be along with more info

I see the big1 posted as I was writing reply so this confirms about card and box

4. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

Many thanks both, sorry if this sounds like basic questions, but this is all very new to me and I don’t want to fry anything!

What I am worried most about I think is both a small tv and the freeview/freesat/old sky box (whatever it will be) both being plugged into the one particular 240v socket in the van. I would only do this on EHU. That would be ok wouldn’t it?

To be honest I can’t imagine us doing a lot of camping off grid and if we did then I wouldn’t even use the equipment as I would be worried about running the leisure battery down.

I can’t see the point of myself of tv in the van but the kids might like it occasionally.

5. TheBig1

absolutely no problem with what you want to do. neither the tv nor the box draw much current

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

Many thanks, very helpful!!

7. Vanman

Vanman Funster

As I understand it, and bearing in mind I've not tried it yet ... UK EHU provides 16 amps at 240v which equates to about 3600 watts. Most equipment has a label on the back that tells you how many watts it draws so you can add up anything that will be running simultaneously eg tv, satelite, fridge if it's electric, heating if it's on and draws, phone chargers etc. too. It doesn't matter much which socket these are plugged into, it's the total watts that matter. In Europe the EHU is often 10a equalling only 2300 watts, so less to play with.

Please feel free to correct this, anyone with more experience :)

8. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Just spent 2 days on a CL with only 6A EHU so was only used to charge batteries. Guy thinks it would stop all the heaters and kettles being constantly used. Varies throughout the UK and Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vanman

Vanman Funster

I think the calculation is Amps x Volts = Watts ... so 6A would give about 1380 watts, careful with that toaster Eugene ;)

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You don't like bacon ?

Apart from that your only problem is lining up the aerial.

11. Vanman

Vanman Funster

There's always this ...

• Like Like x 1
  12. lorger

lorger Funster

@Marcus75 you mention freeview i'm sure this wont work with your sat dish it will have to be free sat or sky,

13. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

Oh. Why wouldn't freeview work then? The aerial on the roof is just an aerial surely, plug the co ax cable out of the aerial into a freeview box and then to the tv, or straight into a free view enabled t.v?

14. TheBig1

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A sat dish is not just an aerial, it's a whole miniature receiver tuned to satellite frequencies.

16. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Without getting too technical, a Freeview/TV aerial works in the RF wave band. Satellite dishes work on a different band and your Freeview wouldn't be able to use it. If you point the dish directly at a TV tower you might be able to pick up some of the terrestrial TV stations, but the same is probably true of the wire that leads to the dish ;)

17. lorger

lorger Funster

I assumed you had a sat dish and not an aerial, if this is the case you wont get any pictures without a sat box. A freeview is for normal TV aerials which of course you might have its just you mention Sat in the original post.

18. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

Freeview - UK TV via a TV aerial.
    You cannot use a Freeview box in conjunction with a satellite dish,. as they are two different transmission types.

A Sky box, even with no viewing card will still be able to receive all the free UK TV satellite channels (BBC ITV C4 5)

You can use a Sky card in ANY Sky digibox and still receive most sky pay channels.
    The card only need to be paired to the box for the premium Sky services (Sky Sports, Sky Movies, BT Sports, Sky HD channels, and recording Sky Pay channels on a Sky+ or Sky+HD box)

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Marcus75

Marcus75 Funster

ok cool, i think i get it. The satellite I have is to be used for a freesat box or my old SKY box, with my existing viewing card. Or if i wanted freeview I could get a freeview tv or box and use an indoor aerial.

• Like Like x 1