Sat dome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mart grump, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

We have a sat dome and struggle to get a signal in Europe is a dish better or are we doing something wrong :Sad:

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

What dome do you have? And what size?

3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

With satellite domes in europe - SIZE is everything !!! :Eeek::Eeek:

(well nearly) :thumb::thumb:

4. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

Road pro 30cm ....had it fitted at purchase on recommend by dealer ( thinking not best idea)!

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We have a Neta dome , very good in UK and as far south as Northern Spain but not beyond.
    I have considered changing to a dish specifically to cover for Spain but no point until satellite changes are complete .

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

IMO 30 is to small, I would of gone for the 40.

I have a 30 too and it works fine down to south of France but gets patchy any further, it works in Germany and mostly anywhere else. So it depends where your heading :thumb::thumb:

7. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I have a 40cm rooftop disk and it works well down towards Limousin in France. After that it is pretty useless for UK TV.

We never picked anything UK up in Spain or Portugal. I have been on top of a mountain in Potes and on the beach outside Barcelona. But nothing.

Since I was last in Europe they have launched new satellites with a tighter beam and now I suspect it wont work in Limousin :cry::cry::cry::cry:

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have a Camos 40 (predecessor of the Roadpro models and from the same factory). Previously, I could get UK FTA channels as far as south of France, east into the western part of Germany and in Holland.
    BUT - don't despair; once the SES Astra satellite reassignment (currently underway) is completed around the end of February, there may not be much difference between a 30 and a 40 Dome in terms of receiving UK FTA channels. The prediction is that reception will fail somewhere south of Paris but we may be lucky. Of course, you will still be able to get the new Astra 2 European beams and Hotbird further afield, but the familiar access as far southeast as northern Italy to BBC/ITV/C4 is predicted to be a thing of the past, even for quite large dishes, never mind domes. I am not an expert and there may still be some way of tuning into UK channels via a Sky box but I have no experience of that.

9. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

So what's best?

We spend quite a bit of time south of France and Italy (North) as soon as we are post mid France signal pretty much non existence - is there an answer? What would be the answer to these problems or am I expecting too much!! :RollEyes:

10. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

Sky??

Interesting thought ref sky box.... Anybody have an idea on how this made be done?

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My answer is not to watch TV. If you want to know the news there is the internet, or a paper delivered daily to your Kindle.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I am surprised you get a poor signal south of central France, unless you are already falling foul of the new Astra2. However, all bets are off until the new satellite set-up is established. I would not buy anything until there are decent reports of reception performance after March. As I mentioned, it may be a lost cause expecting any normal sized dish or dome to work in southern France or northern Italy. SatandPCguy (funster) is probably the expert in terms of what you may be able to get - he lives in Spain. I think the only way to get UK FTA channels will be to tune in to the Astra2 Euro beam, but that is not the one that carries the standard BBC/ITV/C4 signals.