safety t bars.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Keypresser, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

I am just in the process of selling my Savannah and buying a new Apache 634.
    The Savannah has a rear t bar fitted and i am considering removing it and fitting to the Apache.
    I expect that the good side is the t bar protects the rear plastic moulding and the down side is it weighs 80kg. That is a big chunk of my payload without a suspension upgrade (about ?xxxxxx cans of beer).
    Any views????

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't really know the ins and outs of this, but will it fit your new van, will it take value off your old one, if you need one would a new one be a better bet, ?just asking:)

3. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

Dont think that it will matter on the trade in and could adapt it to fit somehow.
    I will have a rear camera just as the Savannah.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if the new van is 2012 or newer, you cant fit anything non model specific like a towbar/safety bar

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

Is that due to warranty?

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Don't have a clue about t bars but you have one cute little dog.. (sorry for digressing).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

The OP was only using it for protection so there is no requirement for a type approved bar, you can use any sort for protection or for a cycle rack. You need type approved for towing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Padraigpost

Padraigpost Funster

On post 2012 vans you can fit a towbar/ safety bar but it can only be used for a towball mounted back box or bike rack, what you cannot do is tow a trailer with it, if you want to tow with your van and it is 2012 or later it must have a type approved towbar.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  9. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

Thanks Movan, love her to bits.

Re: T Bar. I only want it for rear protection (if you know what I mean) but as the reversing camera is very good and the weight of the t bar is high I will probably miss it off and let it go with the Savannah.
    As we put all the gear in the Apache I will be weighing it all (Laborious task) to get an idea of how much we carry, better than taking it to the weighbridge as I can tell my wife when we are nearing the limit (once all my gear is packed!)

Just to clarify, does the MIRO mean a full tank of fuel, 2 gas bottles and a full load of water?

Many thanks for your replies and clarification.

10. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

Just found the answer.
    It means As the motorhome left the manufacturer with a full tank of fuel and a driver of 75Kg.
    No water, no gas (including the weight of the bottles), no grey water and NO BEER!!!

11. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

Final correction (from Autotrail).
    As the motorhome left the manufacturer with a full tank of fuel and a driver of 75Kg, a 13Kg bottle of gas and I assume a leisure battery (but this is not stated).

12. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

A place I worked at had those T bars on some of their vans. T bar and reversing sensors, and the drivers still managed to find bollards etc and bend the T bars. To be honest it appeared that any accident that would damage the standard bumper, would also bend the T bar.

I wouldn't bother, much better to have a decent camera and just be careful when reversing! If someone runs into the back end of your van the T bar won't do a thing.