Ryan's Dream - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by RyansDream, Mar 7, 2011.

1. RyansDream

RyansDream Read Only Funster

I am calling out for help from anyone who may be able to assist me in piecing together a dream for my family but more especially my eldest son Ryan who is living with a life limiting illness.

Ryan is 11 years old & has been diagnosed with a condition named Juvenile Batten Disease, a neurological degenerative illness. Ryan has lost his sight & is suffering from seizures. At present we are unsure for certain of his life expectancy, one thing we are certain of however is that we are going to make the most of the time that we have together as a family.

Ryan is our eldest boy & has 1 brother & 4 sisters.

Ryan has expressed a great desire to travel across Europe in a camper van on holiday.

I have hunted high and low to try and find a vehicle that could not only sleep all 8 of us, but seat all eight of us whilst travelling, and I have struggled!

I have found vehicles that can sleep eight but can only seat 6, or I have found huge RV's but I don't have a suitable license, or a wallet big enough to rent it as well as to fuel it!

If anyone has any suggestions my ears are pinned open.

Thank you,

Loynes Family

2. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I would be looking at a self build, if that is not possible search ebay and the like you may find a self built M/H that fits the bill.
    What class license do you hold ? are you limited to 3500kgs.

Andy

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I wish you well in your quest to fill Ryans dream But he has set you a task and a half
    Even the biggest of the American Rvs only usully sleep six
    There is one who's name escapes me(may be a Safari Trek) built for the hire market that does accommodate a family of eight but quite rare over here
    I dont think any Euro sized van will have the carrying capacity for eight persons and equipment
    Your best hope would be a coach conversion that could be driven on a car licence subject to when you passed your test
    Geo

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just wrote a very lengthy reply to this thread but it dissappeared :Sad:

basically it read.....
    doubtful you'll find anything with 8 belted seats suitable for travelling.
    most euro motorhomes usually only have 4 belted seats inc driver and passenger.
    it is allowed to travel in rear facing seats (dinette) without belts but not advisable.
    some have side facing belted (lap belts) seats but, in my opinion, they are more dangerous than no belts at all.

even the big americans usually only have two forward facing belted seats...driver and passenger...plus possibly dinette seats, mine has free standing dining chairs so just the two belts up front.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Pity this ones sold

However shows that such a thing does exist

http://www.caravans-for-sale.com/16619

Alternatively you could see if you could modify something. I once looked round a old 6 berth Glendale that had extra bunks put in all over the place and could sleep 12 !

Another possibility is something like a Kon-tiki 640 which sleeps up to 6 but will seat lots (though lacking seat belts), and tow a caravan for the extra sleeping accommodation. not the most mobile of combinations.Or tow a caravan behind a minibus.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If you do find an eight seater motor home consider towing a small caravan too
    Not the best solution but doable:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

My understanding is Ryan's family are looking to rent not buy, so self builds and coach conversions are out of the equation.

I have found vehicles that can sleep eight but can only seat 6, or I have found huge RV's but I don't have a suitable license, or a wallet big enough to rent it as well as to fuel it!

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

9. pappajohn

i see seating for eight, at a very tight sqeeze, but 'bed' sleeping for only four.
    very poorly worded and confusing advert.....eight berth should read seating for eight. :Doh:

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ithink there is a 'dropdown' over the front seats and the side settee probably makes a double. I know thats only 6 but perhaps thers some more somewhere else that we can't see in the photos.

Edit Just found the fourth double which is a pull out over the main bed. Thus is 8 berth though in 4 doubles, not ideal for kids but luckily the're still quite small.

12. pappajohn

13. pappajohn

Sorry, they are overhead lockers :Wink: so we're back to beds for four.

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't like to argue with you pappajohn but description says;
    Here for sale we have our much loved motorhome.

The layout of the motorhome is as follows:

Driver and passenger seats are both captain seats and swivel right around to face the rear. [HI]There is a small double bed above the front seats[/HI] (matress not included).

The living area has a [HI]3 seater settee which pulls out into a double bed[/HI] and two rocking/swivel arm chairs with seatbelts. There is also a small table between the two seats. The seating is covered with matching throws as the original upholstery is showing signs of age however there are no tears or stains.

The kitchen has a sink with double drainer, microwave and four burner hob with extracter hood and a full sixe fridge freezer. There is plenty of cupboard space in the kitchen area and hot and cold running water.

The bathroom has a half bath, shower flushing toilet and hand basin. There is a new shower curtain and mirrored vanity cupboard.

The rear of the camper has had the cushions removed and been replaced with a[HI] new kingsize matress[/HI]. [HI]There is also another small double which pulls out from the cupboard above[/HI] (matress not included). There are two wardrobes one full size and one half size with five drawers underneath.

That makes 4 doubles (even if 2 of them are lacking mattressess:Smile:

15. pappajohn

Ooops...my sincere appologies.:Blush:

should have read the discription instead of looking at the pictures :Doh:

16. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

I reckon our Kontiki 640 would sleep 8. The rear lounge bed is massive and would easily sleep 4 kids long ways in sleeping bags as long as they werent big kids. 2 more in the front dinette double berth and 2 in the double over cab bed.

As you say though seat belts would be an issue as you would have to seat two in the rear lounge which has no belts. Dont know if it could legally be adopted.

Its a big van with loads of seating but 8 people in it long term?

17. RyansDream

RyansDream Read Only Funster

Thank you all.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, but unfortunately I don't have the money to purchase an RV/Camper Van.

Thank you nearlyretired I will look into that one that was for rental, although slightly more than I think I can afford I will still enquire.

Thank you.

18. pappajohn

if you're think of hiring for just a week then one week to travel across europe just isnt long enough unfortunately.
    it can take 2 or 3 days just to travel across france if you want to stop off anywhere.
    we took four days to drive through france to barcelona, driving maybe five hours per day.

it may be long enough to venture into northern france/germany/belgium or northern spain but you'll be driving all day.:Sad:

19. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

:Smile: Have you considered, two vans for maybe two / three weeks?

Andrew

20. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would think about Barryd's suggestion of the Kontiki 640 because as he suggests, the four girls could probably all sleep on the kingsize bed at the rear.
    The KonTiki is much more reasonable on fuel consumption than the RV (my old 650 used to give at least 25 to the gallon) and will be cheaper to hire. In addition they are usually rated at MGW of 3500kg and so can be driven on a car licence, even a new one.

Hope you find a way :thumb: