RV parking brakes (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I know this should really be in the nuts and bolts, but I will start one there if there is any interest. I have just sorted my parking brake, which is a quite simple foot brake and cable to a propshaft drum. But now I have just helped a mate with the one that auto goes into brake on when you put it into park, or turn off the ignition. Apparently these are common on RVs after about 1994, and can be both a big problem not being able to move, and costly for replacement parts. Some who have them may be acquainted with the little green switch, and also the little grey one. If fluid is lost thru a dodgy switch, the brakes come on and stay on, and often badly adjusted ones allow you to still drive, but wear out the brake shoes in a few miles. If the dash light stays on, its telling you that the parking brake has remained on. Any one want more info just ask, and I will try and help.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to have the same simple system as you on my old Tiffin. Was not much good at holding it on a steep hill, so always put a block behind it.
I notice you are into bio, am also running 100% bio in my Merc chassis RMB with the old type 2.9 turbo and my VW 1.9 golf. Am now using a mix of bio and cracked black diesel with no problems.

OP
OP
steevie
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Yes the old type parking brake isnt much use on steeps, but I have mine well adjusted, and have filed better teeth on the pawl on the footbrake. It just about passed for the MOT last week. I am also a moderator on the largest bio fuel forum in the UK, vetableoildiesel, and spend a lot of time helping guys make their own biodiesel, or run certain vehicles on just vegoil. I am always confused tho with the term black diesel, as there seems to be a few recipes, and if mineral oil is used in any form, then duty should be paid at 61p, but if it is made from the glycerol that comes from making biodiesel, it is still technically a product from vegatable oil, as long as it doesnt contain any mineral chemicals at the finish. I also do some testing and lab work for Greenworld biodiesel, who produce commercial bio. I have made various types of processors in the past, but just advise others nowadays, and all for free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back