Running in

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brian and Jo, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Im one of the old school that still firmly believes the a new vechicle should be run in for the first one thousand miles.We have just turned over 1000mls in our N+B so i can now open it up a little (y).My question is do people still run in their new vechicles? or is it just me:cool:
    Brian & Jo

2. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

The theory is with modern build tolerances there is no need to run an engine in, so I don't, but if it was a N+B i just might!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

I still set a rev limit for the first couple of thousand miles however, I am told that it is no longer necessary. interestingly some marine engines do require a running in period, in these engines synthetic lubricants must not be used as they inhibit the bedding in process. I still believe that it is not just the engine and transmission which benefit from a sympathetic induction.=

• Like Like x 2
  4. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I feel that its still a worthwhile practice but only if the oil is changed after the first 1000miles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Running in isnt neccessary today.
    Much finer machining tolerances dont leave the microscopic imperfections on mating surfaces which careful running in got rid of.
    Modern oils are far, far better at doing their job than the old days of 20/50....one oil for all.
    The general idea today is varied revs and loads even up to and beyond motorway speeds from day one, but never to put the engine under excessive strain..

• Like Like x 3
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I was talking to a bloke in a pub one night who was in the haulage industry.

He reckoned that the Diesel engines that were thrashed when new performed better than those that were run in.

I think that's what he said anyway:D

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I've heard that there is a school of thought that running in within a limited rev range, which varies little over the course of the early life/use of a new engine (e.g. sitting at low revs for long period on largely uninterrupted roads) can cause more harm than good. The theory being that the new engine should be exercised through the rev range across gears on a variety of terrain. Others now also "break" engines on a bench in a similar manner but at high revs for equivalent of the first 100-200 miles, after which they allege modern engines are run-in.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but here's an example:-

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This will possibly depend on engine types and other variables.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Well they're not all correct Bri because I've just bought a brand new motorbike and BMW even put a rev limiter on it so it had to be run in properly, think they probably know best eh! Had to get the miles done and first service before I could head off to Italy and open it up.
    Enjoy (y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Without a doubt, once it has done 500 sensible miles, give it plenty of thrashing and you will get better mpg and unlikely to use any oil and clean exhaust.
    Modern engines do have some smoothing off to complete but nothing like the old days where the tolerances were quite poor causing excessive heat if thrashed and possible seizure.
    DO NOT however treat it as if you are really trying to break it.
    If any issues do occur - very unlikely, the warranty will cover it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I'm a steady driver anyway Brian :rolleyes:;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Just got to 1000 miles in the new car, took it easy for a while but there again it's a 3 litre turbo diesel and if I don't take it steady I would loose my license.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  12. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The best way to run an engine in is for the first 1000 miles use slightly higher RPM but with low loads. So hold the gears a little longer than you would normally but no foot to the floor thrashing, let it accelerate gently. Constant speed running for extended periods during running in can lead to glazing of the bores which can lead to high oil consumption. I'm just in the process of "refreshing" the motor in our latest fleet acquisition, a 1998 MX5 1.8. Its done 183,000 miles, still had the original Mazda clutch in it and no measurable bore wear. The oil control rings were worn and the valve seats were all tired but other than that it was like it had been assembled last week (well apart from the 19 thou warp in the head after the previous owner cooked it big time), even the oil pump clearances are still well inside the tolerance. New shells, rings, gaskets and head skim plus about twelve hours of grinding the valves in (should have got the seats recut I think) and its all going back together nicely.

Modern machining and lubrication technology has improved the longevity of engines by a factor of at least four from when I started in the motor trade in late 70s. Back then life expectancy of an average family car was about 60,000 - 80,000 miles.

D.

• Like Like x 3
  13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

With the added advantage that it just about matched the life of the body shell ............:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i ran two austin a40 devons for several years . they were old when i bought them . but looking at their service books and workshop manuals . it must have been really profitable in the garage trade in the 50,s heafs off decoke . etc at oil change milage these days .
    i knew there was a reason i liked vw,s .
    i remember my dad in a devon porlock hill head gasket blown . next year scotland . head gasket blown . yet we took vw splitscreen campers all over europe turkey greece . only ever put petrol in them. mind they didnt have the british quality or was it british lack of quality.
    i did like the aircooled vw,s . but have to say jap trucks are superb .

• Like Like x 4
  15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just drive it!

It won't do even a fraction of the mileage of one of its cousins that got built into someone's work van.

I have done well over 500k in newer work panel vans and not had an engine problem yet. Never have run one in.

16. airwave

airwave Funster

You carry on my friend . Year's ago a company i worked for , gave me a brand new 18 ton scania rigid , with less than 1000 km on the clock , the other driver's said that i didn't need to run it in , it's not worth the effort , it was a small engine (blown 8.2ltr) so it wouldn't pull the skin off custard anyway . Anyway , i did run that motor in , carefully for the first 10000km , made sure it had it's service's on time , often arranged them myself . Then returning from holiday , one driver turned to me and said , " i had 77 outta your motor " ! . I wont tell you my answer , but you can probably guess , it was happy to cruise at 65 , fully loaded , and became the fastest motor in the fleet . I always run new or rebuilt motor's in . Your not alone .

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I have always "run in" all engines, but it isn't so much about rev limits because of the extreme tolerances possible in engineering these days. Just keep the load down, so drive gentle for the first 1,000 miles. So don't do massive acceleration and cut offs causing the turbo to 'dump' excessively.
    Smooth and steady wins the race :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Smooth an steady but not not afraid to motor on.

19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Agree with the above .

Throw away your old school theories and just drive.

Don't rev it hard and don't allow the engine to labour. Just drive it it will be fine ! Engines simply do not require running in like they used to things have moved on ..

20. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

When I worked for Castrol, they used to sell "running in oil". I don't think it contained as many additives and was recommended for trucks which had high oil consumption due to glazed bores, or had just had an engine rebuild. You hadn't to run with it for too long a period, but we did sell quite a bit to truck and fleet garages.