Running costs of an RV?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by errpaul, Sep 4, 2014.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

I know there are lots of factors and a wide range of answers depending on type of rv etc, but if anyone has had a euro motorhome and an rv could you give us an idea how much more they cost to run?
    Fuel will be more depending on engine etc, but what about insurance, parts, servicing of engine and habitation parts etc?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have owned my share of both. Its not just the extra running costs that eat money with an RV, its the depreciation.

• Like Like x 3
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Insurance is a big difference.
    I pay the wrong side of £600....my kontiki was less than £300
    Hab spares are relatively easy to source but its a lot cheaper to buy stateside and import yourself.
    I bought a new electronic onboard charger to replace the old style anologue one the converter salvaged from noah's ark.
    This country ....£265 +p&p. from Chicago......£130 inc postage and import dues.
    Fuel....most are between 6.5 and 8ltrs so 10mpg is realist.
    Engine service parts (spark plugs, filters etc) are readily available at most motorfactors at normal uk prices.
    Chassis spares (brake parts etc) are easy to get from the various UK dealers and not unreasonably priced.
    Electrical appliances are generally very reliable so not a real financial worry.

Tyres can be expensive.......mine are around £300 each....and there are 6 of em but they are proper truck tyres so last a long time

All in all....for the extra room and superior comfort an RV wins every time regardless of running costs

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I am on my third RV and do not consider cost.
    I enjoy all that an American RV offers in comfort space and reliability and am prepared to pay a little more for that.
    If I were totally cost conscious I would buy a tent .

• Like Like x 3
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Having said all that, mine is for sale.
    Sips petrol through a pipette.
    Tyres will last another 100,000 miles
    Nothing will fail on the chassis so no hidden cost.

You know you want it.......:LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  6. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I fancied one years back as I've had many American muscle cars etc and thought it would be a good next move

But to be honest in today's climate the fuel economy put me off as did the fact that I like getting places most motorhomers won't go and an RV would have stopped me doing that.

Don't think you can beat them for space though ......just don't drive them anywhere unless you've money to burn.

7. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Am aware of running costs to a certain degree. Don't want to be afraid to use it or let the cost take the fun away, so weighing up the benefits of the extra space.
    In the last 6 years we have only been a couple of places that we couldn't take an rv so that wouldn't be too much of an issue for us.

8. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Pretty big pipette though yeah?! :)
    What have you got?

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Had a 36ft RV, Georgieboy 6lt Cummins pusher, did about 12 mpg , ( see avatar, George in Sahara dessert)

Owned it for 5 years and lived in it for three.. the biggest drawback was the physical size.. at that length you have to research sites and routes, many are totally unsuitable either because of access and or space to maneuver .

That said we toured all over Europe and Morocco.. so it is possible.. but you are certainly limited where you can go .. that's just common sense. When we reached an unknown site I always walked in and checked before committing myself..

Also bear in mind, that they are wider than European vans.. some are over the legal width by several inches.. so country roads can be challenging...

As Dave mentioned.. depreciation is a killer.. in 5 years we lost almost 60% of the purchase price. It's a buyers market..

You haven't said what length.. if you have decided to buy I would suggest no longer than 28ft .. and even a bit shorter, it would still give you plenty of space with all the home comforts.. such as the C class with slides that Larry has. It will fit on most pitches and access shouldn't be to much of an issue.. It's also the CC max length on many of their sites.

Look for one that already has an LPG conversion. that will help reduce running costs a little.

Final word.. and don't let me put you off.. if you have to ask about running costs or it is a consideration.. like the Rolls Royce salesman said.. If you have to ask.. I'm afraid you can't afford it Sir ;)

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Buy a petrol with an LPG conversion. With LPG. A about 70p. Litre we average equivalent to about 16-17 MPG

Our long wheel based Merc hi top mobile workshop averages 25 mpg and our Benimar Motorhome based exhibition support unit is about the same

So my 32' double slide out RV costs me about 8 miles per gallon which I think is well worth it for all the comforts, sadly lacking on many European Motorhomes :-(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My daughter wants an RV , she thinks they are wicked.

Her Dad doesn't though, he has enough trouble reversing an 8m van and doesn't like putting £100 in the tank, let alone £400.

I really can see the benefits though in comfort and space.

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Physical running costs ie fuel 20%-25% more at most
    Service maintenance costs averages about the same
    Purchase prices for similar size and equipped vehicles 30% less
    Not lost any money to speak of as yet on 2 x RVs 1 x 28 foot European
    I guess I buy em right and sell em good, there are folk who buy new and lose 20K on day 1 driving it home I dont subscribe to that group, There are those who pay over the odds or sell quick at a big loss I dont subscribe to that group either
    Overall the RV is a far cheaper bigger bang for you buck option, leaving loads of extra dosh for fuel if you want it
    I have to agree on them being restrictive though, I can only go where Dustbin Lorry's can get!!
    Do you get those up your street? Well say no more:)
    What I will say is, Its a good job our Professional drivers dont have the "cant get down there attitude", we'd all starve to death
    Most RVers Dont ask such questions anyway, we see, we want, we get, now lets figure out where were gonna park it, how we gonna pay for it, Am I willing to do time? for the next plonker that says how many miles does that dooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:rolleyes: or how many Horses can you get in there
    Go get and worry later, life is not a rehersal and so what if you cant afford your funeral, dont think theyv'e left many on top yet
    Do you see a mind set grinning through here:cool:
    Check out the pic says it all at a glance
    G

• Like Like x 2
  13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

My 9m, 29' RV is narrower than the larger a class RVs and is the same width as most Eurovans , as a result I go everywhere I want with no more restriction than similar sized euro units .
    That's where the likeness ends. I have twin slideouts for extra space, queen size bed, large holding tanks , aircon , genny , 32" TV , surround sound etc plus I run on Eco friendly LPG which equates to around 18 mpg and no LEZ restriction.
    In four years and 22k miles we have travelled and pitched without problem throughout the UK and across the water.
    RV rules OK for us (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

But can you go here ? 14079678300380.jpg

Or here?
    14099039018490.jpg

That's what put me off .......don't think there's enough petrol stations between those two places to feed one never mind the access roads

Depends where you plan to go and how you holiday I guess .....i tend to take my van anywhere , but if your going to use sites and perhaps use a car to get around sightseeing then the space can't be beaten ....its all about compromise somewhere
    Space or practicality

15. eddievanbitz

I'm told all the time that you can't go anywhere with an RV. We toured Corsica with a 36' RV five or six years ago which was great. The same people that tell me that you can't go anywhere with an RV are the same ones that are amazed that Lyn my wife drives our RV as much as me, even with the 27' boat trailer on the back lol

So far, since 1998 when we bought our first motorhome, we've gone Highwayman (Euro) KonTiki (Euro) Gulf Stream (RV) Airex (RV) Georgie Boy (RV) Georgie Boy (RV) Georgie Boy (RV) Benimar (Euro) Benimar (Euro) Concord (Euro) Condor (RV) Winnebago (RV) and our current Gulf Stream (RV)

So I guess that having owned both, we tend to lean more towards what American motorhomes give us than European motorhomes

• Like Like x 1
  16. eddievanbitz

Yes, absolutely no problem! But would I want to ;-) My RV is about as wide as your wing mirrors, so if you didn't smash your wind mirrors off getting there, I could drive there too!

But not every one wants to go to solitary beaches and idylls! I enjoy going to such places, in a car, with our dogs, for a couple of hours, before I get bored.

This weekend we are going to a site, on a beach, where they have super pitches, so we have city water, black and grey dump on the pitch, 16 amp electricity two, or three pubs with excellent ale and locally sourced food within walking distance, WiFi and a fantastic fish and chip shop down the road!

I own a campsite and if you saw what we see with motorhome drivers, you really would come to realise that size for some, isn't the limiting factor as to what they can, or cant do, or where they can or can't go: They are lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

It's not the width you'd have problems with its the hairpin bends and the steep inclines that first pic is a first/second gear climb all the way up and bends you have to do a 4 point turn at to get round

I did say not everyone wants to go those places but if the op does want remote places that he should consider that in his plans

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hairpins and steep inclines, I'd take an RV over a Fiat every time. Climbing and descending.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  19. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I'd love to see an RV on the bealach na ba lol

The driver would be lynched

As i said above I'd love one .....I've eyed them up for years and the prices they can be bought for is great .......but constant wildcamping where I go it just wouldn't go.

When I get old and start staying on sites again (maybe) then I might get one or when I do route 66 for my 60th birthday
    But till then il stick with my Fiat :)

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ah Tambo, so you haven't driven an RV then? But you 'know' where they'll go and they wont. FYI Some 34ft RVs have better turning circles that most Fiats. You cannot just dismiss all RV's as unsuitable for the terrain you suggest because many are much more useable in that terrain than Europeans.

• Like Like x 1