Route to the South

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by M and M, May 12, 2010.

1. M and M

M and M Read Only Funster

:Laughing: Hello all motorhomers. I apologise if this is a question asked before, but this forum is new to me. I need a toll free route using good roads through to the South of France to the North East of Spain, avoiding Paris, as I got stuck in a jam on the Peripherique for three hours at Easter. I am in an American RV, so wide roads are easier, but nothing is impossible!!! Also, any good sites for en-route stops!!! Thanks peeps :Wink:

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. bushman51

bushman51 Read Only Funster

Now, is it that you want to avoid Paris or toll roads in general? Driving the Péripherique (which I did many, many times - and which is free) is not of a problem if you avoid peak hours. Supposing you start your journey on the continent in Calais, I suggest to head for Clermont-Ferrand (play around with the map here). Then, an absolute must is the A75 which is free and VERY scenic at the same time. Overnight at Millau (leave the autoroute just before entering the bridge), there is a free aire in town, but you must arrive early since pitches are limitied in size and numbers. Then, hit the A75/N9 again down to the Mediterranean, follow the N9. Roughly 10 kms after Narbonne, turn left, overnight at Peyriac-de-Mer, several aires, look around, you'll like this little hidden paradise (water tab to be found behind club house of tennis club). Then, head to Spain on the N9. Have fun - and don't forget to send us a postcard :Smile:

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Anyone have a non toll route for going down the west cost of France to Spain please.........my sat nav seems to go way around the houses if I take of tolls:cry:

4. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Sounds like a good route but unless there are 2 aires in Millau the OP will be pushed to get an RV in - lots of wooden fence rails to clobber :Doh: from memory.

5. JQL

JQL Read Only Funster