Rotten Front Cross member on Peugeot Boxer

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by barrywi, Nov 10, 2012.

1. barrywi

barrywi Read Only Funster

I suggest anyone with a Boxer older than five years look at the post on the Tech/Mech section regarding the rusting of the front cross member on these vans. On my 1998 Autotrail the removed old cross member could be bent in two parts due to corrosion and it was not picked up on the previous owners MOT a few months ago! It is however very easy to replace so please read the post.

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Yes, it`s a usuall problem with all the older pugs and the fiats,a cross member can be bought quite cheap and is easy to fit

3. 656

656 Read Only Funster

I had an advisery for this last year on the Fiat, changed it in about an hour. Dont forget to Hammerite the replacement:Smile:

4. beelag

beelag Read Only Funster

As far as I am aware it is not an MoT item. It does not form a structural part of the vehicle, it is just for bearing the weight of the radiator and securing the towhook. Some test stations pick it up and others don't regard it as part of the test.
    As said above it is easy and cheap to replace. Did mines this year on a 95 Drifter, added 2 coats hammerite then coated inside and out with Waxoyl.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tofo

tofo Funster

when i changed mine i used
    smooth hammerite on the outside

i then taped all the holes up
    filled it with smooth hamerite
    turned it end to end and over and over
    so i covered the whole of the inside
    worst bit was when paint came out
    round the towing eye bit of platstacine stopped that
    then drained it

a couple of hours to fit it job done

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Hammerite won't last for long as it does rust quickly. Your best best would be to undercoat with red oxide, and then paint with something like rustoleum. Once that is dry, throw some dintrinol, or tetraseal over it and all will be well!

Easy fix, and only about £80 for a new panel.

7. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Can anyone confirm if this Cross Member is the same from 1996 - On please?
    Some suppliers advertise 96 - 02 and 02 - 06 as different units but I have a feeling they're identical.

8. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I agree with all the other comments on here about the fitting of the front cross member.

When I replaced mine, on the side of the road, I found it handy to have someone holding up the radiator etc. This enabled me to slot the rad in place and then lift the whole assembly slightly to enable the mounting bolts to be fitted.

By the way, the previous MOT garage only pointed it out with a note on the invoice. It was not an MOT item they said.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

physically they are more than likely the same BUT......some of the holes may be in a different position...rad mountings and towing eyebolt threaded hole etc.

10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I'm not a MOT tester but I'd say its definitely a testable item and yes it is structural. It ties the front chassis rails together and holds the towing eye, if that doesn't define structural then I don't know what does. They are not difficult to replace, I did one recently but the new ones have a slightly different towing eye which officially needs a new bumper but unofficially you can simply cut a bit of the bumper away to clear. No need to support tthe rad as it will hang on its upper mountings quite happily unless they're shot in which case change them too, again not a big or expensive job.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

It's not considered structural otherwise my van would have failed the last MOT as the member is clearly holed along the bottom.
    It prompted an advisory though along with "Minor Play in Wheel Bearing".

12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Don't forget your sump while you are under there, quite a common failing on Ducattos, thing sheet steel rusting out, sanded mine, 1 coat boiled linseed oil, 2 coats hammerlite

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

GEO !!!!

14. dave newell lvs

Even MOT testers can be wrong you know. I've known testers fail vehicles for slight play in wheel bearings when they're supposed to have slight play in them and I've known the same tester pass a vehicle with play in a front wheel bearing when there should be none at all.

Boxer/Ducato/Relay from 1994 to late 2006 front crossmember under the rad is a structural element in my humble opinion.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Well you could be right Dave, I don't know.
    If doesn't really matter though as I'm replacing it anyway and only wanted to know whether a 2002 - 2006 (advertised) Cross Member would fit a 1998 van.
    I am interested in Solar Panels and a Reversing Camera Kit though, are you the man to speak to??

• Like Like x 1
  16. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I do not know if it is but I agree with Dave it should be

• Like Like x 1
  17. dave newell lvs

Could be, call us:BigGrin:.

D.

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I agree - the test is just the opinion of the tester whom is 'trained' to a certain standard - but it will only be an opinion......as as you all experience on here, opinions vary! No different with testers - some are particular on bushes, some are particular on rust - it is a personal thing.

Not long ago, I had an advisory on the MOT for tyres being perished......at three weeks old....they were not at all, but this tester from what I gather classed every motorhome as having perished tyres, regardless stating that it was due to it being stood up. I made him look a fool being in the trade, but there would be many owners who would worry about it.

The front crossmember TREAT as structural for you own peace of mind. You changed a cambelt at a few hundred pounds for the same reason....so what is £80 and an afternoon once every 5 or 10 years?
    They say it is not structural as the chassis legs are strong enough by themselves to hold the subframe and the front together....the panel beater in me far prefers a front crossmember as dave says, to tie the two together!

On top of which - if you get recovered and are being winched onto a lorry - last thing you want to see is your 30k motorhome rolling off down the road, less it's front end....as there are agents who will use the front eye rather than brothers!

The bearings do have an alarming amount of play in them in comparison to other (most) vehicles - in fact any other vehicle I would think the wheel was about to fall off - but that is the way these french based vehicles are made.

19. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Thanks for the advice and I am going to fit a new one anyway but.......Will a 2002 - 2006 Cross Member fit a 1998 Van??:cry: