Roof cleaning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ShiftZZ, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Guys

Whats the best and safest way to clean the roof over cab bit of the van?

Powerhose?

How do I get rid of the black marks?

Ta

ShiftZZ

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Traffic Film Remover, soft brush (car brush) to agitate, rinse off with hose. You can use a power washer, but don't go too close to the roof and keep on a wide fan. Try to stay well away from edges, fixtures (roof lights, mast bases etc) and seals.

Sometimes you can break these if too keen with the pressure, and end up with a leak!

Whilst you are up there, and the weather is nice - check the sealer around skylights, etc for age and cracking. If it needs replacing go for it!

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

4. gogocrosby

gogocrosby Read Only Funster

For the big bits of flat roof I've used my power washer patio cleaner, vicious but effective.

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Would use a hose but never a power washer have seen the resultant damage done around seals etc.

If you doubt the power of water from a power-washer and the damage it can do I have seen the walls of tyres stripped of a layer of rubber.

Dave :thumb:

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Grandson.. works for me !

7. wp1234

wp1234

Ladder to roof, protect the GRP when you rest ladder on it with short section of pipe lagging insulation tube on each vertical ladder ladder side . Use Fenwicks cleaner with brush , agitate and leave for 10 minutes before hosing off

Perfik !

8. tick59

tick59 Funster

Best way is to send the mrs up there to clean it:Rofl1:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I use a 10 foot stepladder to stand on and a long handled brush to reach over onto the roof. That way I'm able to reach most of the roof from one side - which is next to our neighbour's lean to car port so not far to fall :Smile:

Ordinary car shampoo deals with most of the muck. The awkward bit tends to be getting the flies off the front of the Luton in summer but I can manage to reach most parts from the stepladder, placed either side of the van, and use one of those magic sponge cleaners.

Graham

10. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

The Wife .

11. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

I brought a Gardena brush & lance from B&Q which will reach the whole roof when stood on a ladder at the side. Also useful for giving the walls a quick scrub down when a full wash & polish is not necessary / or I don't have the time.

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi ShiftZZ pressure spray with a good squirt of Stardrops,1 part bleach to 3 parts water--- spray on good rub with either a soft sweeping brush or one of those extending brush type things followed by a good rinse :thumb: cheap as chips
    terry

13. Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo Read Only Funster

We are fortunate that the "new" MH we have now, came with "PaintSeal Direct" applied by that company. I was told it's expensive to apply, but I think it's worth it. Our MH is 23' long & after using the power washer on soft spray to loosen the dust/muck etc. & just using a very cheap detergent in a bucket of cold water (advised by the company) applied by a long handled telescopic type brush, I can do the entire job in well under 2hrs.
    The cursed black marks just fade away without any extra attention. Finish the job with the power washer nozzle on a wide spray to rinse off. Job done.:thumb: