rocket wi fi

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Welsh girl, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I have just had the rocket wi fi hi power outdoor USB adaptor delivered and after some hassle getting the drivers to work, windows 7 didn't recognise the driver, got compatibility assistance to get it working but it still is making no difference to my signal, what are you supposed to see, the signal meter is showing exactly the same as before and it hasn't shown up any more wi fi than I had already??

The shortcut icon on the desktop just brings up the the words " realtek wireless LAN configuration utility Realtek semiconductor corp, copyright (c) 2003 to 2007", with the numbers RTL81.

Am I doing something wrong, can anyone help on this?

2. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Are you on a laptop
    are you on wifi now
    look at the bottom to find your wifi signals
    look for another small icon looking like a Vdu may be flashing
    look were it shows all secured and unsecured in range
    see if it shows all the same as you would normally have, but with another name..maybe a 3 or a 5 on the end of it...it may even look as if is showing less strength than the normal one that will be ok

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Make sure your built in WiFi is turned off.

4. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

wi fi

Check the adapter is 'enabled' :Smile:

Andrew

5. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

hi
    try turn off the internal wifi, to be sure it is off , open web browser and you should have no connection
    then connect the rocket wifi to computer, and open the applicaion. if you get internet connection then you know for sure it is working

6. Welsh girl

Thanks for the reply guys, I have tried all the above and still nothing, it is "enabled" and there is no VDU flashing, I have turned off my inbuilt wi fi but nothing shows.

Just 3 three connections showing with inbuilt wi fi turned on and nothing with wi fi off, even though the rocket is "enabled" and I am on a laptop.

I have now emailed the supplier with a screen shot to show them what is happening, perhaps it just wont work on win7, just have to wait for them to get back to me now

7. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I got one during the week and it picked up 7 secured connections all around me in a rural area.

A couple of them were BT hubs that offered me access for a price.

Quite impressed with it really though there are a lot of potential configurations and setting I will have to get to grips with.

How many users have found the can piggy back onto unsecured routers on the continent..........for emails etc.

If you have 3 connections showing select 1 preferabley your own from a distance and see if it connects> ..I just put my password in and there I was connected from over 100 yds away no prob.

Could not connect to others that were secured and Im not computer savvy enough to crack them

barry

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

It might just be that you've got a duff one.

9. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

The rockets do work, and do work well, but my dad has had a faulty one.

SOme laptops stick the rocket into power save which can confuse it, and more than once I've had to remove it from device manager and plug it in again. WIndows 7 should detect and install core drivers.

My suggestions:-
    - plug it into a different USB port
    - Bring up a command prompt, and type NETSH WLAN SHOW NET - and this will either give you a list of networks or tell you that the rocket is powered off
    - Go into device manager, and expand network adapters, and remove it from there (it will be the RTLxxxx one). (It will only appear in there if its plugged in* - so plug it in before removal)

* OK not true, for the geek wannabies bring up an admin command prompt, type SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 then DEVMGMT.MSC then VIEW-->HIDDEN DEVICES and you can see older and non present devices and remove them and any historic junk. Be waery though...

10. Welsh girl

Richard at facultyx couldn't be more helpful, windows was blocking the email attachment as it deemed it to be potentially unsafe.
    He sent me another email (5 in all) with windows 7 driver and now its working great thanks for all the advice guys.:thumb:

Got less now than with my inbuilt one but never mind will be better when I use it further away from the source.

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I can't work that one out.

Prove your theory, go for a walk.