Review of MH Parking at Aldeburgh (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many of you will recall the problems which have been caused at Aldeburgh as a result of excessive use of the area by motorhomes and camper vans for overnight stays. You may also recall previous posts from me regarding how helpful in general Suffolk Coastal Council have been in providing parking for motorhomes/camper vans and in providing information for my parking web site.

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from Suffolk Coastal Council with a report attached - Review of Motorised Caravan Restrictions at Slaughden Sea Wall. I was asked for my comments as a result of previous contact with the Council in connection with my web site.

When I responded I asked if it would be helpful to post the report here to enable comments from Fun members and the Council has agreed. I have, therefore, loaded the report to my web site in PDF form HERE.

What we have here is a group of council officers trying hard to find the most equitable way of meeting the needs of both residents and visitors whilst also protecting vital coastal defences. They will welcome constructive comments from interested parties in order to help reach the best decision they can.

The text of the e-mail I received is
Please find attached an options report that will be considered by Town and District Councillors at an annual review meeting of Aldeburgh Seafront Management Issues. Prior to the meeting I would welcome any comments from you, as an owner of a motor home or camper van, on the options presented and/or any other thoughts on how this issue could be satisfactorily managed in the future.

Please let me have your comments by the 11th of October

Please send comments direct to John Davies <John.Davies@SuffolkCoastal.gov.uk>

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting reading Graham , personally I think the status quo , option 1 will prevail ..

One issue I never quite understood or agreed with was one of the reasons for banning MHs was erosion of the sea defenses. .. This is more likely caused by the boy racers who use it of an evening, I seriously doubt that a slow moving MH would cause any more damage than a speeding car.

Irrespective .. the council are doing what they think best and it's great that they have invited opinion from this forum..

Thanks for your continued efforts ..

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Thanks for the posting Graham, very informative and it's nice to see a local council seeking opinions from their electorate.

As I was one of the original objectors I have sent a follow up e-mail for their consideration giving my thoughts on their latest proposals.

Please let us know if you hear any more from the council.

Thanks
Sandy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting ...

Hi Graham, being reasonably local, we have used the wall for occasional overnight stays.

Discussing it with other locals, apparently much of the pressure came from the 'well heeled' (laywyers bankers etc) members of the sailing club who objected to not being able to park their BMW's etc, during their 2 week summer break. (their words not mine).

Certainly the local traders/pub landlord etc were not in favour of a ban, but allegedly someone on the council was determined to buldoze it through.

The case against the motorhomers was largely fabricated. I've watched many car drivers turn up for a chip supper and throw the rubbish out of their car windows. Not something that is usual for m/homers and i've never seen anyone dumping a cassette.

Prior to the ban the ban, the bigger uniits would go to the far end, but now people stay in the small car park next to the club (max 18hrs) and onto the 'scub' next to the boatyard, resulting in a 'eyesore' next to the town.

It is without doubt one of the most beautiful peaceful spots on earth, visit it if you can.

Keep up the good work,

Regards Richard

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
topic close to my thoughts.
i was a regular visitor for fishing and took my small vw motorhome where my wife/children could enjoy the beach take a nap or at least give us all a bit of time together doing something we enjoyed.and of corse some food/drink,
puting funds into local area by purchaseing local fish from the boats,[actualy took orders from freinds and brought back] drink in the summer.food ect.

i am shure many done the same but pointless unless we can take the van up towards the tower.

never stayed unless we were fishing overnight.

cant say i ever see close to the numbers mentioned and a good number were fishing.so this is just 1 journey up and down.compared to cars driveing up and down most not even getting out of the car.

would it be viable to place a pay barrier or pay/display ???? say £5 for 24 hours. this may stop the people who drive up and down for the sake of it but still allow use for those who realy want to,

nice to see they are looking at situation and good on you graham for your past and future input on this:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back