Reversing onto ramps?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Touchwood, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Just bought some Milenco quattro ramps (great service from Kenwood)

On the cardboard wrapping there are pictures showing the proper way of using them, and, more to the point, ways in which they should not be used - stacked on top of each other, etc.

I'm puzzled, however; one of the pictures shows a MH reversed onto the ramps, and it shows this as incorrect - the "proper" way it would seem is to drive forward onto the ramps. I'm at a loss to understand why this is. My very few uses of my previous ramps has taught me to try to let gravity help when getting onto the ramps, if the rear of the 'van is low I would have reversed onto the ramps so that initially the slope was helping me onto the ramp, rather than position the ramp in front of the rear wheels and drive up.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ramps

I don't know about a right and a wrong way but i suppose letting the slope help is a good rule of thumb so long as you can drive off easily.

I bought some window alarms from Milenco, but I don't think that I would take too much notice of what Milenco suggest. Only because they say,

"This alarm has been specifically designed to protect you in your Caravan or Motorhome and also to combat the problem of sleeping gas attacks that are becoming more common at Motorway services on mainland Europe."

I also have the ramps, both they and the alarms are great products, it's just a pity the information with them is not better.

I did contact Milenco and explained I was concerned that they were perpetuating the myth of gas attack stories, but they insist that gas attacks do happen ! I suppose they would wouldn't they.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The high end of your ramps should face uphill.
    Having the tall end facing downhill runs the risk of the ramp tipping over if you are parked on the tallest wheel location!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

I always placed the van on the pitch..checked me spirit level and went forwards onto the ramps to level it all up!!..So comong off the ramp was take off the handbrake and let it ease off gently!! Under control of course...

5. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

my rear mud flaps prevent me from reversing on to the ramps they jam in the way
    i always drive forward on to the ramp

mind go too far and then some problems i cracked on of mine :Angry::cry:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Just move to a leveller pitch :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  7. wasp

wasp Funster

I reverse backwards on to mine cos I carnt reserve forwards:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:Sorry but I couldn`t resist

• Like Like x 2
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

ah .but you can to the right ,left turn.
    well if military you can .
    or to the left ,right turn.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wasp

wasp Funster

Would that be the military two step then??:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Or even 'advance to the rear'. An Italian Army speciality I believe. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I have these and I reckon that it is because they reckon mose people reverse onto their pitch. Then if they drive forward onto the ramps the logo is facing forward for all to see. Or is that too scynical of me........spil chucker voot usseed

• Like Like x 1
  12. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Funnily enough, there just may be some truth in this! I became aware of Milenco by seeing the logo on a pair of ramps in use whilst on a site a few weeks ago - so it worked in my case!

13. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

I suspect you have the answer - I hadn't thought of this.

Having said that, some simple maths tells me the angle of the slope would have to be quite extreme, more than 15 degrees, before this became a risk. Assuming the ramp length as 900 mm and the end height as 160 mm gives a "tipping angle" of about 10 degrees - but this assumes the centre line of the wheel to be right on the end of the ramp, which of course it won't (or shouldn't!) be. So I don't think I'll change the way I use them - unless on such an extreme slope.

14. JJ

JJ Funster

In over four decades of motorhoming I cannot recall every using any sort of levelling equipment at all.

But then, as an off-site motorhomer, I am rarely directed to unlevel pitches and instructed to "park there" by a "Jobsworth." :Wink:

Actually the only time I can remember being instructed where to park is at Funsters' meets...

JJ :Cool:

PS. a compressor fridge helps of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Oh come on!! Compressor fridges may be great at keeping your beer cool but I reckon they're rubbish as levelling ramps :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

My MH is higher on the rear than the front so i drive the front to higher ground.
    Judge the ground when driving in--park up --as long as the bicardi and coke glass does not fall off the table all is ok :thumb:

17. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We don't have ramps as tall as the Millenco ones, but I almost always reverse up our ramps when levelling off. If disturbed during the night, it is much easier to drive off (with a slight steer left or right) and leave them behind, especially if wild camping.

Regards,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Same with mine, the back is 6 inches higher than the front so can usually get reasonably level by parking the right way round. It does mean there is an internal slope of about 1in55 if on an exactly level spot, could always let the air-rides down a bit, though it doesn't make much difference in practice. Mind you I don't like Bacardi (only proper brown rum)or coke(rust remover unfit for drinking), and G&T is notoriously tilt tolerant.:thumb: