Reversing bleepers, are they legal?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by vindiboy, Sep 30, 2009.

1. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

At the Lincoln Show people were buying for about £2-50 a replacement lamp which had a beeper built in for their reversing lights.I understood these beepers were illegal on smaller vehicles and also couldn't be used after certain hours at night, am I wrong again ???:Blush::Blush:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

think you will find not to be fitted to lightvehicles under 2tonor to motor cars. also not to be used brtween 11.30pm and 7.00am.
    can be fitted to passenger carryingvehicles with over 9 seats
    hope that helps .they will sell you anything thesedays nobody cares. cheers alan.

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Does that mean I can't reverse between 11:30 pm and 7:00am?

How does it stand legally if you're reversing, Hypothetically, at that time of night and you hit someone,,, because they didn't see you coming.....Reversing lights working ok of course?:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Always possible if the person hit is partially sighted or has no sight at all.Say in a 24 hour supermarket car park....

Just wondered whether it has actually happened.In these days of litigation and placing the blame
    :Doh:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

Properly installed bleepers fitted to HGVs are cancelled when the lights are turned on.

Just imagine the noise in ASDA if everyone had bleepers fitted,any blind person would be totaly confused

5. Stroudwaterboy

Stroudwaterboy Funster

There seem to be some interesting conceptions here.

Yes if you consider them to be a warning instrument then they must be off between 23:30 and 07:00.

There seems to be some suggestion that if you have reversing bleepers and hit someone when reversing it mitigates your responsibilty, not sure how this can work, my wife is deaf and yes she is more careful when crossing the road or a car park but does this mean that drivers can ignore her?

These are a good idea but not a replacement for good driving, as was pointed out at a local inquest recently.

6. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

AHA!

I recently bought, and fitted, one of those 'blind spot' mirrors, the type that looks down. Now being sold for fitting to rear of typically people movers etc I wanted it for the offside front of Winne looking down, left hooker remember, for that bit of extra vision/confidence, and because being sold for rear use came with two of them beepy reversing light thingys.

I have a cunning plan, I wanted to fit an additional reversing light low down on Winne just in case of night reversing, lets face most reversing light are pretty usless, especially when they are 28ft behind you. New plan, fit two. one fully automated (comes on in reverse) but one that I could manualy switch off, with a beeper in it. Logic, general reversing these beepers are annoying, like on a camp site, after dark etc etc but have the ability to envoke one when needed actually appeals. Had to do a three point turn into a car park entrance and dispite reverss lights on the amount of numpties who still insisted on walking behind me:Eeek:

7. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

this is an interesting thread and it may explain an issue we have with our car.

We have a Toyota Prius and this has a reversing beeper..... but it can only be heard inside the car. What bl@@dy use is that ?

8. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

I saw those bleeping bleepers at Lincoln and my first thought was " there goes my morning lie in when some smart bleeeeeeper reverses out of their pitch"!!

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When we bought the RV it had one fitted.. it was soon disconnected...

how NOT to win friends and influence people.. should be banned from motorhomes.

jim

10. vicdicdoc

vicdicdoc Read Only Funster

I've had them fitted to my motorhome for over 18 months now - if every other B** can race around,revving up without anything being done, then I'm sure I'll risk imprisionment for for having these fitted - anyway they are not that loud.

11. WillH

WillH Funster

Our bin wagon has a beeper fitted, it works before 7:00 a.m.

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i have driven bin wagons etc usually have a switch to turn it off. as for kerb mirrors they have been around for years .legal requirment on newish trucks. the mirrors for reversing seem to have come over with the japanese people carriers. but but a proper kerb mirror usually very cheap in truck places. campers if under 3,5ookg it is ilegal to have reverse beepers. best always get someone to watch saves alot of bother usually.

13. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

As most of you know I work for the local council and my car is fitted with a reversing beeper (beeper cancels if you select reverse twice) there is also a strobe light fitted to the rear and a flashing orange magnetic bar on the roof as my job is to visit all the schools in Cornwall.

Being deaf myself and a signer (BSL) I visit the deaf schools also and they are a great warning instument.

All this by the way is fitted to a Peugeot 307 car.

My last motorhome was fitted with a reversing beeper which I found to be one of the best accessories :Smile:

Boo

14. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Ive got one fitted on my mobility scooter,definitely lighter than 2 tonne:Rofl1:

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

but some scooters look like they are carrying more than 2 ton :Laughing:

16. paul&stella

paul&stella Read Only Funster

We've had our old BMW estate from a year old, its now 13 years old and still going strong complete with bleeper - after all this time I don't think I could reverse without one! However I am not sure if you hear it outside very much, the bleep sound seems to come from the dashboard - now theres a technical reply!

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Whilst I am sure the legal bit says they are a no no, the reality is that those particular bleepers are hardly going to waken the dead.. in fact they would be hard pushed to waken a highly strung cat with hearing aids fitted

They are just loud enough to attract the attention of those not completely comatose to your presence..

Any decent police officer ( and believe me most out there are ! ) will see them as a simple accident device which may save a pedestrian related accident and would certainly not be interested in giving your a producer or rectification notice for having one fitted :Smile:

And nooo,, they are not covered by any MOT regulations, merely use and construction rules :Smile:

18. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Cheers Ian....I wasn't aware of that.

With these units that would not be possible.:Doh:

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

one thing confusing me steve,

why would a totaly blind, completely sightless person be in a supermarket car park without a 'seeing eye' person.

they cant 'see' the goods to be buying and they certainly cant drive...or do they have a clever, driving dog. :BigGrin:

20. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

If your avatar is a true reflection then I must say it's the sexiest bin wagon I've ever seen.

Love Derek.XXXXXXX :Wink: