Repairing 12.5mm plastic water pipe

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by atakd, Jan 30, 2011.

1. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

We discovered on Saturday night that our water pipe between the pump and the bathroom has split - presumably frost damage though tank had been emptied and taps opened - it's split at lowest point where water collects. As the split is outside the van, inside the rear GRP skirt, rather than replace a 6 metre run of piping I would like to attempt a repair. Has anyone done this successfully? I've used clamps to repair domestic pipes with mixed success but I assume the pressure on the van is lower at 20 psi / 1.3 bar.
    TIA
    Andy

2. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Any caravan shop will sell push fit fittings, a new lenghth of pipe and 2 conectors. I would be looking to replace the whole pipe though as the cost is minimal and you would have 2 less joints.

3. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

Cheers for that. It's not the cost that bothers me but the effort of having to replace the whole run with what seems pretty inflexible pipe.

4. sedge

sedge Funster

Can't you coil the pipe into a container of hot water to make it bendy and go where you want it to?

5. f6c

f6c Funster

Andy,
    Try connecting the new pipe to the old pipe and then slowly pull it through.:Wink:

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have used plumbers toffee tape in the past,and it works.Get it from any builders merchants.Just wrap it round the break,burst, and leave it.It never sets hard but is completly waterproof.Always carry some in the RV incase of leaks.

7. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

Problem sorted. It wasn't a burst pipe but a plug of ice that melted and let the freshly filled hot water tank drain out through the open valve:Blush: If I hadn't been parked in mud at the time I might have spent a bit more effort in diagnosing this. Thanks for all suggestions - you never know when they'll come in handy.