Rep of Georgia - anyone visited?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by veevee, Dec 28, 2012.

1. veevee

veevee Funster

Prompted by this evening's as yet unseen tv program Worlds Most Dangerous Roads, wondered if anyone here had visited the Republic of Georgia at all?

We have this idea of driving all around the Black Sea and always felt that Georgia could be the the jewel in the crown, but haven't researched it too much as yet.

Old Mo, if you read this don't give up yet, hang on until 2014 and come with us and then leave motorhoming with an adventure.

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    after watching the programme, we can see it would make a really good drive----not nearly as tough on a motorhome as last nights----providing you do it with a sensibile vehicle-------a lot of the terrain looks like Norway-----I wonder how the costs compare:BigGrin:
    Nigel & Pamala

3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I've read a blog of someone who's been to Georgia in a motorhome, but I can't seem to find it!

4. veevee

veevee Funster

If you can try please Addie

5. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Just saw the last 30 mins of the programme but we visited all the places in Georgia featured last year in a 4wheel drive vehicle last year whilst travelling overland from the UK to Singapore .
    Quite a bit of the filming was not correct for example we visited the monestery set in the hillside by a perfectly assessable track (2 hour drive each way) not accross rock strewn hillsides . We also travelled to Mestia and Kazbegi and the roads were awfull , it was a 12 hour tortuous journey to Mestia by the only road so the only way out was to turn round and go back down , the same with Kazbegi .
    The scenery was amazing but i cant see how you could possibly access the national parks by motorhome certainly mine would have been shaked to bits . We were their in early may so a fair amount of snow and ice up high . One big plus is Georgian wine which is excellant and very usefull for bribes to cusoms/border guards in dry countries such as Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan.
    The Black sea journey would be possible and a very good trip for you , hope you make it happen.
    Feel free to ask any further questions