renting a motorhome before we buy!! (1 Viewer)

pablo 007

Free Member
Feb 16, 2016
stockport
Funster No
MH
on the look out for one
Exp
new boy
I am based near Manchester, and have decided I need to rent a (max 6mt) motor home for a long weekend, to see if its for me, before I purchase one..
so my questions are..
where am I best to rent from within a couple of hours of Manchester, with the idea of just driving the motorhome for a few hours, and then stopping the night in it etc..
and where should I head to... north Yorkshire?,
and if you have a suggested area to head for, any recommendations of where to stop for the night..
thanks in advance
pablo

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What time of year....I am doubtful that hiring a van really helps unless same as one you intend buying...or its not yours it's not the same is it? Welcome and good luck:)

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
To really get the best out of renting you need at least a week away, so you can see what it's like to be so close together in confined space. Then there is cooking, sitting around when it's raining and sleeping. To get a good feeling will not happen in one night away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pablo 007

Free Member
Feb 16, 2016
stockport
Funster No
MH
on the look out for one
Exp
new boy
thanks for the advise, unfortunately I cant manage a week this year, as got holidays abroad already booked..
I am planning on hiring an exact model that I like the look of, so just need a good area to go and have a short valued experience.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry, I can't help......have you searched on Google?

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have seen dealers occasionally offering the chnce to try a new motorhome overnight before buying might be worth a look

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
Hi welcome to Fun. Why don't you try Northern Motorhome Hire - they are based in Elland and hire out Wildax vans (they have a web site) Wildax are panel van convertors and they have 6m vans - we own one of their Constellations which we have had for 6 years, and have been really pleased with. I agree with others that hiring for a week if you have never motorhomed before will give you a feel for whether its something for you or not.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why not have a few nights in The Peak District? Not too far from you and glorious countryside..... failing that Forest of Bowland or The Lakes.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
For me, not hiring before i bought was a good way of finding an extra 700 to spend on my new van. So long as you have some camping experience i'm not sure what hiring gets you really. We just bought instead. Haven't regretted it at all. Layout we picked was also perfect for a family. Although we will probabably change to different layout once kids stop coming with us and we look at fulltiming. Our tanks arent really big enough for that.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If you can afford to hire a van for a few days, do it, yes you will loose the money hiring it but you will loose an awful lot more if you buy then find its not for you!
Hire the one you fancy and go to a campsite somewhere nearby. If you get stuck with anything just find a Motorhomer and ask most of them are friendly and get them talking you'll find out a lot!

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Our friends wanted to buy a camper, so we suggested they hire one similar to what they thought they wanted. They wasn't sure whether it was worth the money to hire for a week as they were sure they knew what they wanted. They did hire a van (a Chasson Flash coachbuilt, if my memory is correct), and at the end of the week, they knew that a coachbuilt wasn't for them. What they did know at the end of the week, was that a PVC would be better for them and they also had a much better idea of what was essential and what was nice to have. The hire fee was money well spent and saved a very expensive mistake

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Before we joined "This Band of Brothers" we hired.
Yes, we were tuggers before, and yes, the 'van we borrowed was nothing like what we bought.
But, (BIG BUT,) it gave us a chance, just a little chance to see what being a motorhomer was all about.
We didn't even, 'do it' in the UK but in New Zealand (think Scotland, with Sun) so it wasn't even a fair trial.

But that didn't stop us from swopping from tugging to driving within 96hrs of landing back in Blighty.

What would I do different?

Buy abroad. We could have saved a shedload of money.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A day or two is not going to give a meaningful impression. These things need getting used to under different conditions, one that is great in the sunshine could be terrible for you when you are stuck inside in a gale.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back