Renewal time !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Stephen & Jeannie, May 20, 2014.

1. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Currently with Caravanguard !! Looking around, who are you with ????:thumb:

2. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

caravanguard too :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ring around and then give AIB a call Steve, unless you have a really expensive van they seem to be able to undercut most others, and they are offering a 15% discount to Funsters. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We went with CC this time. Having either LH drive motorhomes or German Tugs limits your choice of insurer drastically.

5. Stephen & Jeannie

So far !!!

caravanguard £389-50

Adrian Flux £435.00

Comfort £700 gulp !!!!

Awating AIB !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

NFU :thumb: ... I have three vehicles, motorhome, Ford Ka (toad) and a high performance Volvo all on the same policy and after a little :Wink: discussion each year, they always come up with reasonable prices.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

just upgraded to fully comp in europe on my insurance to cover france etc as my fully comp reduced to third pary only when we go to france in july and european breakdown cover for £83.00 extra,,,,dont think thats bad ....but sure you people will tell me if i have got a good deal......:Smile:

8. Stephen & Jeannie

That's not good, you have an accident and you are in the merde moneywise !!! and maybe no van !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

GULP... !!!!!!!
    MHF. ( hangs head low ). Same policy as Comfort, cant believe your quote is so much.. Mine is around £350 with European cover and the Morocco green card..

have been with safeguard for years and price about the same, only moved as there is meant to be a Breakdown "claim back" for Morocco.. Luckily had no reason to test it....

10. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

no i have upgraded to european fully comp....:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

mhf fully comp + european/breakdown [platinum] £273.39, seem,s fair to me

12. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Annual premium £220.49 Chaucer via Caravan Club and Devitt.
    Left Hand Drive,
    fully comp,
    270 days European cover in any one year (fully comp)
    300o miles annual limit (can be extended at a cost of course)

13. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

2000 Reg van, Ducato 2.8, Bessacarr E745.
    Comprehensive (£100 Excess)
    270 days foreign use p\a

Scenic (Axa Motorhome) £202.34

14. glyndwr

glyndwr Read Only Funster

I am with Adrian Flux , my T25 was renewed in Sept and was £140 agreed value , my Compass policy is due for renewal in October so have not had the price yet but that was with A.F. too and on an agreed value policy .

15. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Simon we did 2600 miles in Morocco alone so if you're going over there this year you'd better up the mileage bud

16. dabhand

Thanks Ken well spotted, I did exactly that a few weeks ago, was with Chaucer, very reasonable price, but on checking they DO NOT cover Morocco at all, so cancelled and went with Aviva via the CC and Devitt with a 7000 miles limit.
    ADAC?
    You going in Jan btw?

17. Nigel67

Nigel67 Funster

Mine just came for renewal, MHF(aviva) 1995 Hymer 644 lhd. Full comp me and wife to drive, inc uk/euro breakdown . £304. Strangely £3 less than last year.

18. canopus

Still up in the air as to whether we are going or not. Issues with elderly outlaws, so undecided as yet.

Why is insurance a bloody jungle? I tried to join ADAC last year and they wouldn't let me pay over the phone. Cos it was last minute, I had no alternative but to go without and rely soley and the Green Card. When we got back to UK in the April there were three letters and membership cards from ADAC.

Insurers are out to trip people up, house, travel and motorhome. If you leave the house unattended for more than 30 days you're not covered. Be careful cos the buggers can access ports to check when you left/returned to UK. Better if you have rellies who can live in the house a few days each month, but then I bet they'd wriggle if you had to claim, say for a burst pipe whilst you were away.

19. dabhand

Agreed, it seems though that people are getting cover with ADAC for repatriation mainly, but as far as I can tell repatriation only covers the EU and anywhere else they MAY offer a discretionary service.

Can't find anyone that's been repatriated from Morocco to Spain, and getting towed to a garage is a discretionary 200 euro max. If this is the case it would seem doubtful if the cover is worth the hassle of trying to contact them whilst there?? Don't think anyone has a definitive answer, is ADAC worth having?

20. canopus

We took the chance. The Moroccans are an erstwhile people. Im sure you could find somebody to fix or tow your van. However there are MB main agents in Casablanca and Agadir but Im afraid their rates are not dissimilar to UK MB dealers.

Suggy had his EGR valve pack in last year. He did a botch job using a coke tin which sufficed for a while, but he lost power and only just made it up the Todra Gorge. Eventually he limped back to Agadir and went to the Ford Agents. They got him the part the next day or so from Casablanca and fitted it fairly quickly. I think he'd been quoted £1000 approx over the phone but was relived when the final bill was a good deal less.

If you're going to be in Tagazhoute, Mike (Makems) has had extensive work done on his previous Rapido and also his current Burstner by Mustafa in Agadir. He did a lot of work for people, ourselves included, whilst we were there. Dazzlin had some bodywork repairs done by Mustafa and I must say they were pretty damn good job considering the small cramped premises.

• Like Like x 1