Renewal of C1 D47P/D4 application forms 56 days before 70th birthday not 90 (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I have been researching the process to renew my C1 licence as I approach my 70th birthday. Contrary to most googled “information” the DVLA site states that they will send out the above Applications to renew the C1 license 56 days before the applicant‘s 70th birthday, not 90 days as stated by Moneysaving expert and “Martin Lewis’” website. I think most of the links I found related to the application for a C1 licence, not a renewal of one.
Do others more knowledgeable that I agree with my findings?

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Conal

I was waiting for my C1 licence renewal at 3 months before my birthday as had been previously published, but my renewal arrived approximately 56 days before my 70th birthday which agrees with your findings 👍. Medical completed today and forms now in the post to DVLA

Cheers

Trevor

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Hi. My 70th birthday is 2 March. I received my renewal notice end of December.
My friends birthday is 26 March, he had renewal last Saturday. He doesn't need C1 so renewed on line, he messaged me yesterday to say he'd received his new licence.
With regards to mine. I had medical to renew C1 on Saturday (failed on eyesight) Had eye test Tuesday morning and posted everything to DVLA that afternoon, we will see how long it takes.
Frank.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just had mine d2-d4 ordered on line birthday in June,2 months wait for a medical with my doctors 78pounds but they have my records,I've had a by-pass 18 years ago so we have some hurdles to go over regards

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Don’t send your renewal in too early though, otherwise it will be dated from when the application is approved rather than the expiry date of your existing licence. I’ve lost 2 months validity because of it and the DVLA won’t reconsider. :mad:

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Within the 56 day period prior to expiry appears to be okay to avoid any loss of entitlement.

Yep, just checked the letter I received from the DVLA when I queried the early expiry and it states:

“When a renewal application is processed during the 56 day invitation period the anniversary of the previous licence is preserved.”

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don’t send your renewal in too early though, otherwise it will be dated from when the application is approved rather than the expiry date of your existing licence. I’ve lost 2 months validity because of it and the DVLA won’t reconsider. :mad:
You don't lose any time provided you don't apply before 90 days before the due date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
The DVLA took 5 months to renew mine due to a mix up at their end. You can still use your vehicle while waiting. Fortunately this gave me 5 months extra on the new licence.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
You don't lose any time provided you don't apply before 90 days before the due date.

I beg to differ.

The letter I received back from the DVLA after querying the loss of the 2 months entitlement makes it clear that the cutoff point is 56 days prior to the original expiry date:

“If a customer submits a renewal application and it is processed earlier than the 56 days before the expiry date or after the entitlement has expired, then this is considered an independent application and the licence renews for 3 years exactly.”

The RAC agree that this is the situation:

“According to the DVLA, you can apply to renew your UK driving licence two months before its expiry date. You can find that out on the back of your photocard.

However, your new licence will be valid from the date the application is approved instead of the expiry date of the previous licence.”

That’s not to say that some renewals might have been processed outwith the DVLA rules/guidance above, and the lucky applicant hasn’t lost any period of entitlement, but if anyone wants to avoid any possibility of it happening then don’t submit the application before the 56 day cutoff.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That’s not to say that some renewals might have been processed outwith the DVLA rules/guidance above, and the lucky applicant hasn’t lost any period of entitlement, but if anyone wants to avoid any possibility of it happening then don’t submit the application before the 56 day cutoff.
Then you have to send a new photo.
Renewed both of ours outside the 56 days licence renewed from expiry date.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
They only send a rewnal notice and form for a standard B licence. For a C1 you have to request the D2/D4 pack on the DVLA website or get them from a main Post Office (if you can find one).
We used the Gov website link to get the D2/D4 forms

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I initially realised that the 90 days may not be for renewal when I tried to book with SpecSavers for an eye test and they asked for an “Mxxxxxx” reference. A little research led to the DVLA site where I found that that reference is on the letter the DVLA send out 56 days before the applicant’s 70th birthday. The website is not by very clear as it also states that the DVLA send the letter out of curtesy, not because it is a requirement. Again, I think this is because they are not specifically referring to those of us who are applying to renew our C1s.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We used the Gov website link to get the D2/D4 forms
Just for general clarity, you can order the forms on line but you can't print the D2 form on line. It has to be their own preprinted version, by post office or posted to you.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, as an earlier poster said it is not just paper but has a sticky oblong on page 1 to affix a photo.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
D2 - Just be prepared for one of the most diifficult, badly designed forms ever. The DVLA should be ashamed for designing forms that are so vague as to what they want. I had two days of Google headache trying to unravel the mysteries of the D2 form. You really shouldn't have to resort to google and youtube to find out how to fill in a form, especially when the DVLA provide 3 forms of explanation. (unfortunately all of them contradictory).

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
D2 - Just be prepared for one of the most diifficult, badly designed forms ever. The DVLA should be ashamed for designing forms that are so vague as to what they want. I had two days of Google headache trying to unravel the mysteries of the D2 form. You really shouldn't have to resort to google and youtube to find out how to fill in a form, especially when the DVLA provide 3 forms of explanation. (unfortunately all of them contradictory).

All they need is a letter to confirm that nothing has changed and 'I apply for same categories, here is my D4.' End of!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back