Renault Master Spare wheel ???????

Discussion in 'Renault' started by FrankCoffi, Aug 27, 2016.

1. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

Hi all, can anyone tell me how they expect a poor old codger to get the spare out,on a Lunar Premier H 592 on a Renault Master chassis. Having just had air suspension fitted at my local garage ( Harewood Garage Andover ),I was just curious to see how the spare wheel is released and to my disbelief I found that you have to crawl under the MH and unscrew two nuts to lower the cage and lift ( Drag ) the spare out ?????
    I now come to the part where someone will reply JOIN THE AA let them do it. This is fine but I'm at a loss to understand how this could happen in the first place,surely Lunar would have given more thought,as to how anyone is to get at the Spare ??
    I now realise that maybe I should have seen this problem before purchase,but I was stupid enough to assume that this arrangement would not be there and some form of quick release,accessible from just under the side would be fitted ! Just to add insult to a complete mystery,I have a towbar fitted which adds to the problem.
    Has anyone come across this problem before and come up with a solution, apart from the AA,RAC,Green flag or any of the other breakdown services,say maybe making some form of slide out side compartment ?
    Have your fun but any sensible answers would be appreciated. Regards to all Frank.

2. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. andy63

andy63 Funster

Sounds really difficult ..but whatever mechanism is fitted the wheels are quite heavy and difficult to manage..
    My mk 7 transit has a wheel cradle that winds down but still requires a crawl around to get it out..
    The new mh doesn't have a spare . I've got to buy a spare and try and fit it somehow.. sorry no help to you but thought I'd comment..
    Andy

4. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I have a Master on an Alko chassis god knows how you get the spare out. I was thank Ng of getting rid of it completely save some weight.vbut we know exactly what happens then.

5. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

We have the same set up on our Master, it's a proper PITA. It's worth having a go dropping it down "in the comfort of your own home". First time I tried ours, everything was seized up. I had the van jacked up on axle stands and had to spray everything with release oil. If you do drop the wheel, be aware that it is quite heavy so keep your hands etc out of the way as you lower it. You can buy an extension hose to connect to the tyre valve and fasten the end somewhere accessible to make checking the spare's pressure easier.

6. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

Andy,Porkster,Jock,thanks for your replies,the best idea I've come up with so far is to remove the wheel,measure it and get a cradle made up and bolt it so as I can carry it on top of the extended part of the towbar and purchase a cover to make it look right ?
    Any other ideas are welcome.Thanks Frank.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jtp890

jtp890 Funster

A chap near Goole, East Yorkshire sells a wind down mechanism he recovers from Master chassis when converting to tippers.
    Winder locates on side member. Will try and find details.

8. FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi Funster

Thanks for that jtp,any help is appreciated.Regards Frank.