Registering a Vodafone Sim Card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Braunston, May 14, 2010.

1. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Purchased one of the Vodafone Sim cards from eBay with £15 credit and 1GB data allowance that apparently won't run out, or its not time limited, but just wondering how do I register it and should I register it now even though I don't need to use it at the moment, any suggestions would be welcome

I have tried the search facility but not been able to find an answer

2. lunarman

lunarman Funster

To register put the sim card in the Dongle and connect to the internet. Then go to Vodafone.co.uk and select my account. You can register from there.

Doing it this way the registration automatically recognises the sim and its mobile number.

You will need to register a credit card so that you can buy additional airtime when needed.

Lunarman

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought one of those and set it up (in unlocked dongle) just over a week ago.

Lunarman has answered the account creation bit but I found I also needed the Vodafone Mobile Connect software for certain features like balance checking. That is possibly because my dongle was originally T-Mobile and thus came with their management software.

I downloaded the Vodafone Mobile Connect software from Here. I think (it's been a long and busy week :Smile:) I just followed the installation instructions (there's a PDF help file at the same location) to set the software up.

Graham

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

have you got a link to the ebay page please.
    looking for a payg sim for my dongle.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Do an eBay search for <Vodafone SIM hsdpa> John.

They aren't all the non-expiring ones so you need to look at the descriptions. Item 220602850300 looks like one of the ones that are OK.

I also obtained two free SIMs from Three Here one of which I use in the dongle. So long as you don't want too high a data allowance you can get 1 month access for a fiver and you get a free allowance with every top up.

Graham

6. pappajohn

cheers Graham,
    i take it the 1gb can be used over any period of time, if needed, without expiring..... once registered and started to use.

at first sight it seems expensive but after paying £15pm for 15gb and not using anywhere near the allowance it makes sense.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's my understanding John. After I had set it up and looked at a few sites last week it reduced the balance by 5p to £14.95. If it expires next month I'll know I've been had but from what others have said the SIMs are genuine :Smile:

Graham

8. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

9. pappajohn