Refillable Gas - 1 bottle or 2?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Candapack, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Will be changing to this, and was thinking one 11kg bottle would do. It should last a week off hookup, we'll always be moving on by then, even if not it's not a huge faff to go to a filling station.
    Keen to have just one so I can also use the gas locker for ramps and EHU leads.
    But I bet someone can tell me why that's a silly idea.

2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I have been topping up after around 10 nights with the tank (fitted) taking 7 to 8 litres. That is with the water heater on for around 30mins and the heating around the same, plus cooking. I believe 8 litres is around 4kg, so you should be OK. Most panel van conversions with a fitted tank seem to have one of around 21 litres.

I forgot the fridge, that was on most of the time. This was in the Mosel area in Sept.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

It all depends on your usage pattern and time of year. We have just returned from 6 1/2 weeks in Italy and France. We use the gas for cooking, heating (water and space - but not in summer obviously) and the fridge. Rarely hook-up - in fact just one night during our trip. we stayed on camperstops so no campsite showers - we used our own with the consequent water heating requirement. We have 2 x 11 kg Gaslow bottles and set off full. During the time away we used one and a half bottles so did not need to refill at all.
    In contrast, during January with temperatures below freezing, we have used a full bottle in a weekend - three nights.
    I would not want to be without the flexibility of switching to a full bottle when one runs out. It is also important if you get a fault on one of the bottles and have to isolate it - hopefully not a common problem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Refillable gas is about convenience............. if you only have one bottle you have NO choice but to find a gas station before it runs out. If you have two bottles you have no worries:) Either you can double your duration or buy gas when a gas station is on route/closer/cheaper.

We have two, when one runs out I simply refill within a period of time equal to half the time the first one lasted(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

If you have room fit 1 x 11kg, and 1 x 6/7 kg. Not too much extra cost, and well worth it.
    Phil

6. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

We have 2 11kg bottles and I just wait till one is empty, I know then I have got 2 or 3 weeks to top up again. If you only have one bottle and it runs out your stuffed especially if you are running a fridge and freezer on gas like us.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our gas locker is large enough to take two 13Kg Calor bottles which meant there was plenty of room for Alugas. As we already had two 6Kg Calor bottles we decided to have just a single Alugas bottle fitted initially and carry a 6Kg Calor just in case. Some months later we gave our Calor bottle to our son as he needed it in a hurry, which meant that we needed a second Alugas bottle before we next went away so we had a second bottle fitted. We went for the manual changeover system as it is possible to have both bottles or either open and the filling system is such that both bottles are topped up as necessary.

8. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

You could go for a tank fitted under your van thereby freeing the locker space completely.

This is the most expensive option, depends how much you need the space and how long you are keeping your van for etc.

I know of a Funster who bought a system second hand for the same price as new gas low.

We have 2x 6 bottles, second hand bargin and are very happy with them.

We tend to try and keep both full.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have a single 11kg bottle and have only had that for the past 5 years without a problem. We wild camp all the time, doing trips for our summer holidays or 5-7 weeks at a time and just keep an eye on the gauge so that when it starts to move we think about topping it up, usually we have at least a week's gas left! What you could try is just having one refillable and a small Calor cylinder too as a backup until you are confident that just the refillable is sufficient, however if you do want to store stuff in the locker too make sure that any escaping gas can easily drop down to the bottom of the compartment and out through the vent holes ... don't block them or the 'route'!

10. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Thanks all, food for thought.
    If using van in cold weather for any more than 2/3 nights, we would go onto EHU. So I think I'll stick to one 11kg bottle, and as Mel suggests also carry a smaller Calor bottle until I get to know the new system.
    Cheers,

11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

have always had 2 in the past but in a panel van, with our usage we find it overkill. Now have 1 x 11kg and one lightweight 6kg Calor as a back up

• Like Like x 1
  12. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

From the description of your camping style one cylinder will do you adequately. We only have 1 11KG cylinder and so far it has done over 30 nights away this year with only one topup in August. We have a compressor fridge so that obviously doesn't use gas but all cooking and heating is on gas. Just be careful about how you store other "stuff" in the gas locker so that it doesn't block the floor vent.

D.

13. brynric

brynric Funster

We have an 11kg and a 6 kg. We use the 11 till its empty then we know we have a fixed amount left. It means that we don't have to refill immediately but we're on the lookout for LPG?

14. Candapack

Candapack Funster

These extra replies have changed my decision, I'm not going to bother with the spare Calor bottle.
    Yup, that's me, livin' life on the edge. :D

15. toyota

toyota Funster

one refillable one local bottle happy days no problems,works for me no matter how long i am touring.

16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Great replies as usual, like the large to use and the little as backup.

17. kglblue

kglblue Funster

Just back from a 6 week tour of Germany, France, Belgium and Netherlands, I have 2 x 6kg gaslow bottles, used for cooking, fridge and heating. I used one in the 6 weeks, as we arrived back in the UK it switched to the second bottle. Didn't use the gas heater very much so it was mostly cooking and fridge.

18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just a word of caution................ we have emptied an 11kg bottle in 5 days in winter.

19. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Well you should of slept in a hat and put a jumper on then..:reel:

• Like Like x 2
  20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Now you tell us.......... ;)