Recurring punctures on Brompton bike: how to solve the issue? (1 Viewer)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Had issues in the past where the rim profile was sharp and cut the tube on the inside.
Cured with a couple of layers of insulation tape to cover the bare metal

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'd change to tubeless tyres if you can.All my MTB's are and no punctures for years
I agree that tubeless is great, but the Brompton rims aren't tubeless compatible and there aren't any skinny 16" tubeless tyres either.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I agree that tubeless is great, but the Brompton rims aren't tubeless compatible and there aren't any skinny 16" tubeless tyres either.
Apparently it is possible to put Tanus airless tyres on a Brompton but rolling resistance may be increased.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Check the inside of the tyres for splits or cracks, I had several punctures on a motorcycle, eventually tracked it down to a small split on the inside of the tyre, constant flexing caused the split to nip the tube.

Think he changed the tyre as well as the tube.

Dec 16, 2017
AlmuƱƩcar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Just squirt a sealant into the inner tubes - Joe's, or Slime for example, pump up and forget about it. Then small punctures self seal. http://www.joes-no-flats.com/ or https://uk.slime.com/products/bike/sealants/ When we had the activity company here I had 18 mtbs out (before tubeless tyres were popular) regularly in thorny conditions and after we started using Joe's we went from 3 or 4 flats a day to 1 or 2 a month - so I know it works in tubed tyres as well as tubeless.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Lots of answers but

1/ check the inside of the rim so you can be certain the spokes are not fouling the inner tube

2/ Change the tyre for a puncture resistance one and a heavy duty inner tube

I have recently done this on our bikes with good effect

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I was fed up with getting punctures, so thought I'd try some tyre liners (Zefal), and they've been great šŸ¤ž. They sit in between the inner tube and the tyre, to prevent thorns etc getting into contact with the inner tube - well that's the theory anyway!

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Thanks everyone. Went to cycle shop in Javea, very helpful. It all came down to fault on pump pressure gauge. Pressure in tyres was low and wife's seating position wasn't helping. Pressure increase seems to be working. Got a new gauge.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We put Schwalbe Magic Mike BMX tyres on our folders as they have kevlar reinforcement and a chunkier tread like a mountain bike. No punctures since and far better handling on slippery bends and corners.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Can you get a solid tyre for the Brompton? ;)

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Reading this thread is there the opportunity to run tubeless?
If not, Not exactly for a folding bike, but there must be something like it availableā€¦..I run one of these in my mountain bike rear tyre (in winter) to allow me to run lower air pressure and not pinch damage the rim or casing. My bum only has so much inherent suspension before my heft is transferred to the rear tyre. I have to say that it works well.
Tyre Insert

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Fitted our Bromptons with Swarbe Marathon plus tyres. Not cheap but no more punctures. šŸš“ā€ā™‚ļøšŸš“ā€ā™‚ļøšŸš“ā€ā™‚ļø

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I'm on the tools and most of my advice has already been covered..... Marathon tyres usually used on the Brompton's only usually puncture through the sidewalls assuming the tyre tread area is not too worn out or in decent condition. If the tyre is clear of thorns and debris then nine times out of ten the rim tape is damaged or you maybe pinching the tube on reassembly. I usually replace the tape with Velox stick on tape if they look dodgy. Sadly there is nothing in this size tubeless unless you consider Tannus tyres. I am doing tubeless set up's week in and week out now, the tyres are more mature now and there are some terrific sealants out there too.

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
What type of Moho is that in the background?

I live full time in a 1989 Bedford MJ. Click on the Instagram link in my footer and you can see a bit more of it.

Mark

IMG_3163.jpeg

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I believe it was one of the twelve Ptarmigan communications trucks. I didnā€™t know when I bought it but a friend who served in Germany recognised it and I Googled to find out more.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone. Went to cycle shop in Javea, very helpful. It all came down to fault on pump pressure gauge. Pressure in tyres was low and wife's seating position wasn't helping. Pressure increase seems to be working. Got a new gauge.

Excellent šŸ‘šŸ» youā€™ll be fine with regular tyres and correct pressure. You may get an odd puncture here and there but have to say Iā€™ve only had 1 puncture in 4yrs on mine and it was most of the time on slick (Kojak) tyres.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
If the punctures are around the valve I've had that problem and you need to take great care to seat it properly to avoid pinching, especially over rougher terrain.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Marathon Plus tyres came with my Brompton. As mentioned, they were glass magnets. Through the tread. They were also heavy, slow and really hard to get on and off the rim each time. But Continental Urban Contacts don't seem to pick up glass at all. No punctures on a couple of years (although I'm mainly using the bike for errands, shopping and van duty now, not commuting).

Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Just squirt a sealant into the inner tubes - Joe's, or Slime for example, pump up and forget about it. Then small punctures self seal. http://www.joes-no-flats.com/ or https://uk.slime.com/products/bike/sealants/ When we had the activity company here I had 18 mtbs out (before tubeless tyres were popular) regularly in thorny conditions and after we started using Joe's we went from 3 or 4 flats a day to 1 or 2 a month - so I know it works in tubed tyres as well as tubeless.
Totally agree, used to get punctures on our little foldups especially from pine needles on forest tracks ,got slime from halfords we never got another even after 5 years. One bottle did the four small tyres. It's easy to squirt in with Schrader type valves but when we go bigger bikes with presta type it was more difficult. I now get the tubes with the stuff already inside šŸ˜€

Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
I live full time in a 1989 Bedford MJ. Click on the Instagram link in my footer and you can see a bit more of it.

Mark

View attachment 823323
Drove the older version MK when stationed at Kiel in the 70s it had twice the range of the Bedford RL petrol AND it had a heater unlike the RL whoohoo šŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back