Recurring punctures on Brompton bike: how to solve the issue? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
My wife's back wheel on her brompton bike has had 5 punctures in 14 days. I've replaced the inner tube and even the tyre but it keeps happening. She has a bad knee so has dropped her seat into a position where there is no weight going onto the handlebars. Because of the inactivity caused by the knee problem she's piled on the weight and must be close to 15 stone. It looks to me like too much weight on back wheel is a problem, telling her this is another.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Are you definitely clearing any thorns or grit out of the tyre when repairing, as that sounds like there is still something causing the punctures.
You could try inflating slightly harder which would help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Does you’re lovely wife read MHF😳

”You’ll have to sew them back on again first” comes to mind😂

So if you’re replaced 2 out of the 3 key parts it can only be wheel related and i‘d guess Thornebt could well be right although also worth just having a look inside the rim carefully with a torch and carefully run your finger around the inside of it, plus on the rime base. A moving spoke can be hard to spot.

We’re all 5 in the same spot 🤔

Beyone that are you inflating the tyre correctly (80-90psi) ? Pinch flats may be the issue.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
i haven’t used it so I don‘t know if it’s any good/affects the ride etc, but could you try using foam/gel in the tyre?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Are you finding thorns in the tyres at all ? Is she a "nervous rider" in that she hugs the kerb/gutter where all the trash ends up ?
We used "Slime" puncture preventative in our son's tyres when he was younger, worked well against thorns, especially this time of year when they were cutting the hedges. We also fitted Schwalbe tyres to our ebikes that have a Kevlar strip just under the tread and they seemed to help too.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Are they “snakebite” punctures, if so then pump the tyres up rock hard. I put slime in our tyres this year (for the first time) before our recent trip to France. Covered nearly 400miles each so pleased with no punctures - we usually get one or two.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When our son used his bike for work along a cycle track with thorn bushes next to it we had a lot of problems with punctures but with the kavlar tyres had none.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I used to get regular punctures on my Brompton while commuting. I'd normally only repair once or twice before replacing the tube. Often just because I was late for work. With the Marathon Plus tyres, they seemed to attract glass. I normally had to remove a shard every time I repaired a puncture. Most of my punctures were on the front, I think I tend to scrub the tyre when I track stand at lights... I also got a snakebite puncture once when I let the pressure get low. They need to be rock hard, at least 70psi.

When I wore out the Marathons, I put on Continental Urban Contacts. They are lighter are stickier, so I thought I was going to get loads of punctures... Not had one yet. And they feel less draggy and more grippy.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
My wife's back wheel on her brompton bike has had 5 punctures in 14 days. I've replaced the inner tube and even the tyre but it keeps happening. She has a bad knee so has dropped her seat into a position where there is no weight going onto the handlebars. Because of the inactivity caused by the knee problem she's piled on the weight and must be close to 15 stone. It looks to me like too much weight on back wheel is a problem, telling her this is another.
Nothing to do with her weight, Im 17 stone and never had a puncture on my brompton.

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I have two Bromptons, an Electric P line on Urban Contacts and a super lightweight T line on Schwalbe Ones, one or other is used daily and at the risk of jinxing things I haven’t had any punctures for a while. I have Tubolito inner tubes in both, not the cheapest but highly regarded for puncture resistance.

About a week ago I strayed onto a very bumpy path into Geneva which actually damaged a tyre, splitting the sidewall and causing it to bulge. The tyre was a right off but the inner tube is still on that wheel.

I would add that I am 17 stone and run at 100 psi.

Mark

IMG_3156.jpeg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can buy a puncture proof strip that you fit between the inner tube and the tyre, bought ours from Decathlon a few years ago.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I used to get a lot of punctures on my hybrid bike. Was advised to drop the tyre pressures which i did, been fine since.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I ride an electric Brompton 30 miles at a time and have had four punctures on the front wheel. All were due to the inner tubes being trapped between the rim of the tyre and the wheel. I am annoyed that the spare inner tubes supplied when we bought the bike are of a larger diameter than the wheel. I have now been taught a better way to fit inner tubes and hope this helps, but will try to buy smaller inner tubes. Interestingly, with all the different inner tubes, the front tyre looses air when stored but the back doesn’t.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've swopped bikes and when she's rode mine she gets a puncture. Have examined spokes and tyre closely.

What pressure are you using in your tyres ?

I’m guessing too low and one heavier ride (yes I’ll get my coat…) it’s the only thing i can think of that can explain these results.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I used to get a lot of punctures on my hybrid bike. Was advised to drop the tyre pressures which i did, been fine since.
Bromptons need high pressures because the wheels are tiny and pretty narrow. I run 90psi on my Brompton. I run 26psi on my gravel bike and 20psi on my mountain bike... but they're tubeless.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
tyres have a pressure range marked on the sidewall. I always pump to the maximum pressure on my road bike... ~ 90psi ,, but softer on my hybrid for rider comfort

tyre pressure will be higher for heavier riders, or for riders carrying loads on their bikes, and lower for lighter riders.

A very rough guide..
  • Road bike: 90psi / 6.2 bar.
  • Gravel/cyclocross bike: 40psi / 2.8 bar.
  • Hybrid bike: 50 psi / 3.4 bar.
  • MTB: 30psi / 2.1 bar.
Good advice here

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Kevlar strips and heavy grade inner tubes - Tredz are a great online retailer

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
I have two Bromptons, an Electric P line on Urban Contacts and a super lightweight T line on Schwalbe Ones, one or other is used daily and at the risk of jinxing things I haven’t had any punctures for a while. I have Tubolito inner tubes in both, not the cheapest but highly regarded for puncture resistance.

About a week ago I strayed onto a very bumpy path into Geneva which actually damaged a tyre, splitting the sidewall and causing it to bulge. The tyre was a right off but the inner tube is still on that wheel.

I would add that I am 17 stone and run at 100 psi.

Mark

View attachment 822752
What type of Moho is that in the background?

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I'd change to tubeless tyres if you can.All my MTB's are and no punctures for years

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
When my wife used to cycle quite a distance to work she had a spate of punctures. I found the cure was to fit two rear tyres, a bit of a bugger to do, but she never had another puncture. It was slightly harder to peddle. That was on some 16" rims.
Mike.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Check the inside of the tyres for splits or cracks, I had several punctures on a motorcycle, eventually tracked it down to a small split on the inside of the tyre, constant flexing caused the split to nip the tube.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back