Recommended suspension parts manufacturer? (2 Viewers)

Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Just had my elderly (98) MH mot'd with no problems, however, couple of usual advisories on front suspension (Ducato), these being perished rubber on bushes dust covers etc, being a glutton for punishment and always looking forward to lying under the van in rain, frost, snow whatever to prove I'm still alive (y):smiley::smiley:

The question is, given the large choice of manufacturers, what experience have you had with and who would you recommend for the parts?

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Personally I use GSF for my vehicle spares.

They do a cheap range ie Drivetech but also do oe or oe quality.

Never had an issue with this supplier.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just had my elderly (98) MH mot'd with no problems, however, couple of usual advisories on front suspension (Ducato), these being perished rubber on bushes dust covers etc, being a glutton for punishment and always looking forward to lying under the van in rain, frost, snow whatever to prove I'm still alive (y):smiley::smiley:

The question is, given the large choice of manufacturers, what experience have you had with and who would you recommend for the parts?
As they are only advisory, why not wait until it gets warmer and do them before next MOT?
Perhaps you're younger than me? šŸ˜„

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Recently got an Hella LED light set from Autodoc very good price but came from Germany so took nearly a week but good service and answered queries quickly.

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Personally I use GSF for my vehicle spares.

They do a cheap range ie Drivetech but also do oe or oe quality.

Never had an issue with this supplier.
I do use GSF locally but still struggle with deciding on the actual manufacturer.

As they are only advisory, why not wait until it gets warmer and do them before next MOT?
Perhaps you're younger than me? šŸ˜„
Common sense says wait, after all they are not that urgent and to be honest I think they would be advisories for another couple of MOT's I just like making life hard! I have semi retired but not at "retirement age" some time later but still in the "I'm not giving in" mode despite the pain!
Recently got an Hella LED light set from Autodoc very good price but came from Germany so took nearly a week but good service and answered queries quickly.
I have been trawling through Autodoc and have used them before, almost too much choice, for the parts I need there are 60? odd manufacturers listed! it will be a case of wittling things down.

Jan 23, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK/ Torre del mar ES
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftain
Exp
Since 1983 motorhoming ,got the bug in a T2 in 76.
i have just done a full refresh on my ducato 244 front end ,although its only done 38 k things were looking shabby and i noticed it wasnt as smooth as it used to be
Most of the parts i used were febi bilstein (german manufacture) .the list included top mounts and bearings with seals ,bottom ball joints,drop links,dust covers,arb bushes and top spring caps
All from autodoc, ,one parcel ,free postage.
I used uprated motorhome front springs 21mm wire diameter (std was 19mm)from a company called Killen ,via aceparts on ebay.
The dampers came from monroe off ebay.
The result is astounding ,no more crashing ,no nose down attitude (it was slightly down )
My moho now drives like new ,even on the horrid roads of uk,
The total cost of parts was around Ā£475 and it took me 2 full days on my own.
Hope this helps
G

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would get prices of original kit from costal motorhomes first. Rarely is aftermarket stuff better than OE.
I swapped front suspension on my X250. Original parts and ok prices. Stuff from GSF is shockingly poor quality.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Really šŸ¤”

Did you buy the cheap stuff then.
Really interested in which make you bought.
Drive tech brake parts for wifeā€™s VW. Utter shite, that I wouldnā€™t fit. Canā€™t see why itā€™s of interest to you though.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Drive tech brake parts for wifeā€™s VW. Utter shite, that I wouldnā€™t fit. Canā€™t see why itā€™s of interest to you though.

If you check my previous post I said donā€™t buy drivetech as they are cheap parts.

Itā€™s of interest because you was slating GSF for parts when I recommended them.

Still buy cheap buy twice as they say šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you check my previous post I said donā€™t buy drivetech as they are cheap parts.

Itā€™s of interest because you was slating GSF for parts when I recommended them.

Still buy cheap buy twice as they say šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Yes. Hence I recommend pricing up original equipment first. Itā€™s not always as expensive as people think, and the quality is higher quality than most aftermarket.

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
i have just done a full refresh on my ducato 244 front end ,although its only done 38 k things were looking shabby and i noticed it wasnt as smooth as it used to be
Most of the parts i used were febi bilstein (german manufacture) .the list included top mounts and bearings with seals ,bottom ball joints,drop links,dust covers,arb bushes and top spring caps
All from autodoc, ,one parcel ,free postage.
I used uprated motorhome front springs 21mm wire diameter (std was 19mm)from a company called Killen ,via aceparts on ebay.
The dampers came from monroe off ebay.
The result is astounding ,no more crashing ,no nose down attitude (it was slightly down )
My moho now drives like new ,even on the horrid roads of uk,
The total cost of parts was around Ā£475 and it took me 2 full days on my own.
Hope this helps
G
FB are one of the manufacturers on the short list at Autodoc, have had good service from them in the past
Along with the name and picture it will tell you if itā€™s oe or same quality.

Delphi parts are good šŸ‘
Delphi have come up elsewhere as recommended
I would get prices of original kit from costal motorhomes first. Rarely is aftermarket stuff better than OE.
I swapped front suspension on my X250. Original parts and ok prices. Stuff from GSF is shockingly poor quality.
thanks for that, certainly worth pricing
Suspension bits i normally go for bilstein or meyle
Will look at Meyle, they have been recommended particularly for up market cars.

Thanks to all, its shortened the list somewhat and given me some comparisons. (y)

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Have had a look at CM and the prices are very good for oe parts, some that are not I would need to check out. Decided that I may do a front suspension refurb and leave it until next years warmer weather - you know it makes sense (me talking to myself) or I may just replace it with this:

Used to have a Scania :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Have had a look at CM and the prices are very good for oe parts, some that are not I would need to check out. Decided that I may do a front suspension refurb and leave it until next years warmer weather - you know it makes sense (me talking to myself) or I may just replace it with this:

Used to have a Scania :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I'd go for the Scania! šŸ˜„

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The OEM parts are supplied by Febi Bilstein and easily available. If you feel rich, upgraded parts from Goldschmidt are available, especially better front struts. Rear leaf springs, I always recommend Jones springs as better than OEM. Alko torsion bar suspension, there is no beating Frazer Brown engineering to refurb the axle

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The OEM parts are supplied by Febi Bilstein and easily available. If you feel rich, upgraded parts from Goldschmidt are available, especially better front struts. Rear leaf springs, I always recommend Jones springs as better than OEM. Alko torsion bar suspension, there is no beating Frazer Brown engineering to refurb the axle
When I did my fronts a few years ago in 2019, Fiat sent me some called 'Ricambi Originall' from Italy for my X250 Ducato? šŸ¤”

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
The OEM parts are supplied by Febi Bilstein and easily available. If you feel rich, upgraded parts from Goldschmidt are available, especially better front struts. Rear leaf springs, I always recommend Jones springs as better than OEM. Alko torsion bar suspension, there is no beating Frazer Brown to refurb the axle
Thanks for that, interesting, need to look at this properly, I tend to get carried away in refurbishing and need to take a reality check.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Coastal Motorhomes were very helpful with my Ducato front end suspension replacement and very knowledgeable about the different chassis numbers/maxi model etc....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back