Recommended stopovers Genoa to Montpelier? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Looking for recommended aires and c/s en route to Montpelier from Genoa.
We'll be stopping off to follow the M6202 and M2205 to Isola to ski for a few days then heading back most likely to take the low road to Montpelier and towards. home provabky on the A75.
Not particularly looking for sight seeing opportunities as we need to get home but happy to stop the odd day here and there.
Any advice welcomed. Thanks in advance.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
How many days are you going to take over Genoa to Montpellier, and then how many days from Montpellier to La Manche (Calais?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In which case fill your boots in Provence.

I just copied and pasted this from another thread.

We ve done South of France last 4 Easters (wife works in school) and as per @sedge the weather has been very warm on occasions. Seriously burn going to sleep in Rodez about 3 years ago. Last year Easter was March and very wet, the year before I think it was quite wet but remember a couple of days absolute heat in Arcachon (West coast) As well as Riez, Sault, Moustieres, Greoux les Bains, Sillans La Cascade, l'isle sur la sorgue, Monteux (if the huge new water park is open), Vaison La Romaine, Sisteron (but dont park in the one in the aires book. there are others) and Pernes les Fontaines have all been visited and are free aires (Apart from Moustiers Greoux Vaison) and I would definitely stop at all of those in any Aprilas there are things to see or soak up.
You can also stop at the top of Mt Ventoux and set the alarm for sunrise. It is supposed to be spectacular as the "le geant de Provence" is quite a bit higher than anything near it so you are nearly 6,000 feet high looking down in all directions. (I have failed to make it here in my motorhome yet - and definitely failed on the pushbike) You need to check the history out of Tommy Simpson and le tour c1967 ?) but remember if you do it then check the wind levels. If there is a slight gust at the bottom then its possible ! Last year at le tour the riders were coming down on 14/7 saying it was minus 4 at the top and cyclists were being blown off the mountain literally. They cut the race short by 6 miles.
Gorges du Verdon should be quite quiet and make sure you take your time and go on the Southern road for fantastic views with a 3,000 foot sheer drop. not for the fainthearted driver or passenger but stunning. Up the top of this road look out for le styx which is a sort of open canyon and it may be open but you will need a wetsuit. There ar ealso numerous "clues" about. So if you see on your map "Clues de esteron" or "Clues de un autre river" this means that you can have access to pretty rock formations in the river that are sort of like mini canyons. In the summer it is possible to swim in them. It will be possible in April but water levels will be higher and a dam site colder
Oops Entrevaux, another free stop Just park in the railway car park. historic fortified town.

I am bias but Provence is lovely. Even better in the summer with lake swimming to St Croix and Esparron and numerous rivers and other lakes. If you can do aires do them. I find them very social, the dutch, belgians and germans always want to practice their anglaisey as do the french. 20 euros a day saved over a fortnight is ....erm .....hold on ...... quite a bit.
Any more info required let me know

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When going across to the main motorway northbound i would head out of provence via Orange (or near to it) then sort of head North west including Bagnols sur ceze, Roque sur ceze, Barjac, Vallon pont d'arc, then across to Florac and visit St Enime before Mende then montpeyroux before making way home possibly via Fontainebleu (less touristic Versailles but still very touristic).
Basically you cant really go wrong all the way through Provence, Ardeche, Cevennes and Languedoc, there are so many villages which are just stunning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back