Recommendations for aires or municipals

Discussion in 'France' started by The Cruisers, Oct 23, 2015.

1. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

On Monday we are going to France through the tunnel for just 4 nights with our fairly new MH. Want to try aires really but municipal sites would be ok. Travelled in France with our caravan in previous years but it has been in the summer.
    As its just 4 nights can't go too far from the tunnel. Where would you suggest as a good first try on aires (I suppose not such a good time of year for a first attempt). We haven't got bikes so we will be walking to places of interest.
    Would appreciate any ideas and tips please.

2. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

Le Crotoy is a good Aire to stay on, not too far from the tunnel. We often use it as a first stop, a nice easy walk into the town, restaurants etc, although I'm not sure how many would be open this time of year. We stayed there December last year and the water was turned off.

3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Brugge & Ypres's You will not find a better short stay

• Like Like x 2
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think you must forget about municipal campsites at this time of year: most, if not all, close by the end of September / early October.
    Have a look at this website for some ideas about aires. It is in French but not difficult to follow. Click in the central disc of the home page to start, then click on the left 'chercher/ajouter une aire' and choose France, or possibly Belgium for ideas near the channel ports.
    CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

5. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

Thanks. Any tips on using aires at this time of year - never used them before?

6. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

Hi Not an Aire but a nice site close to the sea
    Camping clairette, 62215 - OYE-PLAGE 03 21 35 83 51
    We use it as a overnight stop when we have to catch the ferry
    some great nature trails and woodland.

7. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

There are two aires at Le Touquet, about a 30 minutes drive from Calais.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Boulonge has a good aire.. on the cliffs at the eastern end of town. Some grassy level pitches.. plenty of space..
    Bus service into town or walk.. it's not so far.. an interesting and historic city.. the old fortified city is worth visiting.. plenty to see and do..

aire details here ..

http://www.campercontact.com/en/fra...72/motorhome-parking-aire-de-camping-car.aspx

and Google map
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...s0x47dc2c40b157a363:0x40af13e8163fb30!6m1!1e1

Basilique Notre Dame de l'Immaculée Conception de Boulogne-sur-Mer
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Basilique+Notre+Dame+de+l'Immaculée+Conception+de+Boulogne-sur-Mer/@50.725076,1.6141113,996m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x2ad16b107ce0fced!6m1!1e1

Also have a look in CamperContact

you can download the pois for sat nav free , it also has a very good app.. cost about £5 .. but very worth while.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

Thank you for the info. I'm a tad nervous about staying on aires this time of year especially as it's our first time. I've been reading all about break ins and attacks on the forum. Do we stay on one that has no one else on it or find one that has others staying on it? I realise I'm probably worrying for no reason and once we have done it for the first time I'll be fine. Hopefully we will get a gut feeling if it's the right place to stop. What are your thoughts/advice?

10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Your worrying for no reason as long as your sensible you will be fine. . wrong time of year for municipals I'm afraid...

I like both suggestions. Le Touquet OK but Brugge Aire great for a few days. Have not been to Ypres yet...So my choice would be Belgium:)

11. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

I'm sure I am worryingfor no reason. Thanks. Can you drive into le Touquet and park for the day?

12. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

You could try the aire at Equihen Plage, only about 30 miles from Calais, I think it has been revamped since the video was shot.

There is a popular aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine, you park just a few feet from the Seine. Very busy aire about 150 miles from Calais if thats not too far.

Both these aires are within walking distance of towns with plenty of shops etc.

Paul

13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

To the west you've got Honfleur about 3 hours' easy drive from Calais. Huge well-marked aire within walking distance of the quaint town centre/harbour.

I have yet to meet anyone who's suffered theft or damage whilst parked on an aire, and we've been on a good few all over France. Use common sense when locking up - we padlock the driver's door to the steering wheel and lock the important paperwork well out of sight whichever country we're in, including on campsites.

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We visited the equestrian aire at Le Touquet this year in August, but there was a horsey event on and it was closed to motorhomes.
    I actually drove in and got settled down.. plugged into EHU.. there was plenty of space.. but then the 'man' arrived and told us politely that we had to leave..
    We then tried the marina aire.. just down the road.. but due to the fact that the equestrian aire was closed.. it was rammed full.. so we left and went to Boulonge aire.

Other years we have stayed there it was great.. but I doubt if you could park a motorhome in the town.. and it's a fair walk.. we have bicycles.

15. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I would second La Mailleraye, our favourite place in northern France.
    We always feel 100% safe there (we have been alone there in mid winter) two great boulangeries and a new small Carrefour in town plus lots of interest on the river.
    €6 per night but I think it will be free at this time of the year.

Lots of photos on my blog plus a video of the approach on my YouTube Channel.

Richard.

16. Manic

Manic Funster

I agree Equine Plage is nice and last time we were there we walked along the cliff path and come across a big gun in placement and if you then walk further there's an old fort you can walk around.

17. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    If you do go the Belgium route, take a look at the small town of Veurne, just across the border. A typical small Belgian town with a central square, shops, restaurants, canals etc. All a short stroll from well used MH parking spots around 51.07024, 2.66636 (and the other side of the water). Not an aire as such but comfortable overnight parking - I doubt very much that you would be alone. I've used it many times and always felt comfortable there.
    Worth taking a look if only for future reference.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

St valery sur somme and you can get the steam train to le Crotoy and back or cycle too
    Veulletes sur mer
    Le Treport has two

All in my picture galleries via my signature

• Like Like x 2
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

One of our favorites...centre like a mini Brugge. good eateries and bars. a good few vans there when we have visited, always plenty of room. there is water and toilet dump on corner for the boats I guess..

De Plakker a really nice restaurant off the square

20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I can second Le Crotoy, although the aire does get a bit waterlogged when it rains. Fort Mahon just a few km away or ( our favourite in the area) Quend. Lots of good walks, nice towns and lovely sandy beaches. Will take you an hour or so from Calais.
    If you worry about break ins etc on Aires, you'll never go anywhere. We have stayed in Aires all over France for years, at all times of the year. Never had or heard of a problem with any of them, and some have been very remote.

• Like Like x 1