Recommendations for a 10 day tour in Poland (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We are leaving Berlin tomorrow for about 10 days in Poland. We will be visiting Auschwitz, but really have no other plans. Any funster recommendations would be appreciated. (y)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We are leaving Berlin tomorrow for about 10 days in Poland. We will be visiting Auschwitz, but really have no other plans. Any funster recommendations would be appreciated. (y)
Look forward to how you get on. Poland including Auschwitz is on our to do list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We’re on our way into Poland in the next couple of weeks. We will also be visiting Auschwitz.
were entering from Dresden.
Were have you been so far ?

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We’re on our way into Poland in the next couple of weeks. We will also be visiting Auschwitz.
were entering from Dresden.
Were have you been so far ?
We eventually only stayed for 3 nights before moving on to Czech.
Our main purpose was to visit Auschwitz which we did.
Is your van over 3.5 t ? If so and you are going to use toll roads make sure you are aware of the new procedures which came into effect on the 1st of July.
The toll booths are closed and payment must be made on an App after registering the vehicle.
3.5 t or under then no problems no tolls required.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We eventually only stayed for 3 nights before moving on to Czech.
Our main purpose was to visit Auschwitz which we did.
Is your van over 3.5 t ? If so and you are going to use toll roads make sure you are aware of the new procedures which came into effect on the 1st of July.
The toll booths are closed and payment must be made on an App after registering the vehicle.
3.5 t or under then no problems no tolls required.
We live in Poland and our MH is over 3.5t

I suspect that Sheddy only used the A4(E40) for which the procedure is different from the e-Toll system which operates on other M/Ways and Trunk roads - all very confusing.

MotorhomersRus let me know if you are over 3.5t and I may be able to help.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We’re over 3.5 ton

Then you need to go to this page

[EDIT Although it comes up in Polish, When I clicked on the link it went straight to the English page]

We use our phone as the GPS device rather then their special box.

You have to remember to turn the App on before entering a toll road.

It is a PIA and costs us about £30 from German border near Goerlitz to Katowice and maybe a bit more according to where you get off A4 for Auschwitz (Oschwiem).

Personally I never understand why anyone wants to visit the place. We live about 30km away and I know enough about the horrors committed there. Basia as a teacher had to take her pupils there and will never go back.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

[EDIT Although it comes up in Polish, When I clicked on the link it went straight to the English page]

It is a PIA and costs us about £30 from German border near Goerlitz to Katowice and maybe a bit more according to where you get off A4 for Auschwitz (Oschwiem).

Personally I never understand why anyone wants to visit the place. We live about 30km away and I know enough about the horrors committed there. Basia as a teacher had to take her pupils there and will never go back.
There is a reason:
To witness how humans can be so inhuman.....
I couldn't believe the amount of human hair taken from victims shown in a glass tank-and how over time it reduces...
You might know what happened there - everyone needs to know....and remember or be reminded....
I have Polish family connections

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were away in France when Sheddy asked for recommendations about Poland.

Obviously Krakow is worth a visit, if you do not mind too many tourists. I am told Wroclav is also attractive, but never been.

My impression of SW Poland after 11 years is that it is pretty boring. We enjoyed our time in the national park in SE Poland and I am told the lakes area near the Baltic coast is also nice.

If we go locally we tend to go 100km into the Slowakian Tatra Mts. Otherwise we go to France, where we have just come back from after a 10 week trip, and in 3 weeks will be off to Greece for another 10 week trip.

Now Basia's Mother is no longer with us we will probably moving out of Poland somewhere west.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp

Many thanks will download it although it says on the reviews it doesn't work.
We hoping to avoid the toll roads.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were away in France when Sheddy asked for recommendations about Poland.

Obviously Krakow is worth a visit, if you do not mind too many tourists. I am told Wroclav is also attractive, but never been.

My impression of SW Poland after 11 years is that it is pretty boring. We enjoyed our time in the national park in SE Poland and I am told the lakes area near the Baltic coast is also nice.

If we go locally we tend to go 100km into the Slowakian Tatra Mts. Otherwise we go to France, where we have just come back from after a 10 week trip, and in 3 weeks will be off to Greece for another 10 week trip.

Now Basia's Mother is no longer with us we will probably moving out of Poland somewhere west.

We went to Wroclav ... It is quite attractive in the city centre but we didn't find much to do.

We drove from the NW Baltic coastline to Wroclav ... It was interesting to see some of the history along the border that has changed several times with Germany and it was nice to see the bison reserve in the north, Wroclav and some of the hills of the south but if we go back, wed go east.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Totally agree about Auschwitz, although, what man can do to man must never be forgotten but it's still happening, in other places, in our lifetime? 😢
How one can achieve that without memorials like this, I don't knows?

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp

Do you know which bits of the A4 are free.
As we’re entering at Goerlitz as you did in your post.
We need to get to Częstochowa.
Don’t particularly want to spend it all on a toll/motorway.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do you know which bits of the A4 are free.
As we’re entering at Goerlitz as you did in your post.
We need to get to Częstochowa.
Don’t particularly want to spend it all on a toll/motorway.

Now on the new e-Toll system the A4 charges start as soon as you cross the border. The only free bit is several kms passing Wroclaw. The e-Toll website has a map of which roads are tolled.

We have always used the A4 because of time constraints to get to France/UK so cannot comment on off-motorway possibilities. However be careful to use only trunk roads as some of the minor roads either side of the A4 can be rough - recently, enough to slow me to 30kph.

If you did use the A4 Goerlitz to Częstochowa is doable in a day. Better not on a Fri or going the other way on a Mon/Tues as it is full of HGVs going to/from W. Europe/UK. Otherwise it is quite easy.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Now on the new e-Toll system the A4 charges start as soon as you cross the border. The only free bit is several kms passing Wroclaw. The e-Toll website has a map of which roads are tolled.

We have always used the A4 because of time constraints to get to France/UK so cannot comment on off-motorway possibilities. However be careful to use only trunk roads as some of the minor roads either side of the A4 can be rough - recently, enough to slow me to 30kph.

If you did use the A4 Goerlitz to Częstochowa is doable in a day. Better not on a Fri or going the other way on a Mon/Tues as it is full of HGVs going to/from W. Europe/UK. Otherwise it is quite easy.
Many thanks
E toll worked perfectly although I put it on my phone which meant I couldn’t use it as it didn’t like me doing so.
A4 was great but the A1 was horrific worse rode at present that we’ve been on …..it was like being on a roller coaster and I’ll swear blind our wheels left the ground a few times with the bounce effect 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back