Rechargeable batteries

Discussion in 'Photography' started by dylan, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Any thoughts on the best AA rechargeable batteries and the best place to buy them from please. For a digital camera.
    Thanks.
    Eileen

2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I,ve had a few digital camera's over the years and each one did not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with Gooney ..

From what I've read, rechargeables don't have the ooomph to recharge the flash quickly..

4. Terry

Terry Funster

5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Rechargeables in a camera will not last nearly long enough, and has been said, will take ages to power up the flash.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There are some strange replies to this.

Just what do you mean by "AA rechargeables" ?

I've never used anything except NiMH rechargeables and they work a treat.

I'm wondering if people are talking about those odd dry cell type rechargeables.

7. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Surprising - my digi-cam was supplied with rechargeable AA batteries and the associated charger. Works absolutely fine for me. Have had the camera for a year or two and the batteries appear to have adequate umph... and last for hundreds of shots between charges. Perhaps, a few less if constantly using the flash.

8. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Yes size AA NiMH rechargeables
    Always used them with no problems but some have a poor rating in the reviews so wanted to know any recommendations or thoughts on the new type of "ready use" ones on the market

9. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi Eileen
    I agree with Brian on this, rechargeable batteries work fine in cameras. The batteries I find best are the Maha MHRAA – 24 which are available from http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/batteries-and-chargers/?page=3 at £12.95. OK not the cheapest but they do hold their charge when not being used, which is more than dedicated batteries usually do. I have been using these batteries for quite a while in my land and underwater cameras as well as an LED underwater torch. I know Maplin also do a similar battery as I am sure others do. I prefer any new kit to use this type of batteries as they are easily replaceable unlike the dedicated ones which always pack up and leave you with some useless gear.
    Mike

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

My camera (Kodak) came as new with rechargeable batteries and there is a charging port on camera plus when its connected to its printer the batteries get auto charged.

So it would seem that even though it can run on ordinary non rechargeable batteries it also designed to run on rechargeable's.

As to the speed of recharging the flash, when my camera is set to "anti red eye" the camera flashes twice with a fraction of a second between flashes

Doug...

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Like Doug, we got a Kodak camera some years ago which came with a rechargeable battery pack. The batteries themselves went wrong some time ago and I've since used Uniross 1300 mAh rechargeable ones in it.

Jill uses AA NiMH batteries in her Minolta camera but more powerful ones (2200 mAh if memory serves without looking). There are quite a few 2450 mAh & 3000 mAh batteries on eBay.

12. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Re-chargeable Batteries

Have always used NiMH rechargeables and have had great service from them. (apart from an odd occasion when they have gone flat after going through a security scanner - although some people deny that this can happen)

My cameras are Fuji and they specifically say that NiCd should not be used - heat generated during discharge can apparently cause problems.

Most batteries I use, and I have about 10 sets of 4, are from 7 Day Shop and are charged with their 1hr charger not had any problems in 10 years of regular use.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I can't remember when I last bought any. so not much help. They were probably off ebay.

I would not go for the very highest capacity on offer, the reason, batteries are made in layers, more layers more capacity but if you push the limit the layers will be so thin they might not be as reliable. I've 2300mAh here that work well.

14. laneside

laneside Funster

My Cannon camera from Comet came with re chargeble ones in and I bought an additional two plus charger, That must be four years ago and they still give good service.

They are Energizer and are silver, green and black.

15. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Go to Maplins ask them for the highest rated 'AA' sixe rechargeable batteries with the correct charger-don't use any old charger, tell them what they are for.
    Nothing wrong with rechargeable batteries in a camera, unless you are professional, a high spec battery should be able to do the job.:thumb:

16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

The longest lasting conventional batteries on a test basis - actually turned out to be Aldi - which outlasted Duracell!

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Was it Aldi? I thought it was Lidl.

18. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Mrs. JayDee gave me a Nikon Coolpix for Christmas 2009 and it came with a couple of Duracell AA batteries to tide me over and a battery charger for the rechargeables of my choice.
    This year I was given a set of 4 x 2700mAh x AA NiMH made by Uniross. They last 7 times longer!! :Eek!: (it's only when you read the really, really small print that it says 7 times longer than Alkalines - no mention of whose) and apparently will take 280 shots. They were bought on Amazon for about £7 and seem to be doing well.

John

19. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

I have several sets made by various manufacturers some expensive, and to be honest the cheapo Aldi ones are right up there with the best and a quarter of the prices.

The blue ones are the highest rated, yellow a bit less I've both and will replace the other brands with Aldi's as needed. :thumb:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thanks for all the good feed back, obviously I was too quick to judge... :Blush:

I've only every tried them once in an Olympus camera and that was a few years ago, .... perhaps I had nicked the wrong type .... :Laughing:

Note to self

Let others put their foot in it first ..