re-maping

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Steve, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

Hi, I read with interest in the 'garage' section that a member going by the name of Jay has had the fuel ecu on a fiat Ducato 2.8 2005 remapped. Having had this done to other vehicle's that I have had, can I find any reports any where done by others that I can read please. I would pm jay but don't know which one it is.
    Steve

2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You will find quite a few members on here have been remapped I am sure some of the will be along shortly to tell you about it

3. monk

monk Read Only Funster

Hi just to let you know I had my Ducato 130 multie jet remapped which gave me a increase to 155 bhp and a better fuel consumption by 8 mpg :thumb:.

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have had all 3 of my motorhomes re-mapped.

1) cheap remap on a 2-0 fiat (2003) ebay job- went like stink, but boy used some juice and squirted some black smoke out. But it did cure the problem of lack of performance.

2) 2-8 JTD (2005) proper remap by WOW, worked a treat, much more power and a marginal increase in MPG.

3) 2.3 Sevel chasis (2008) made one hell of a difference. runs so much sweeter, have had at least 15-20% increase in economy. Once again done by WOW.

If the van I had (which all 3 have been) was underpowered, I would not hesitate in doing it again. :thumb:

5. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We met a fellow motorhomer in France last week who recommended engine mapping so we are going to look in to it. I guess the price varies but can anyone give me an approximate idea of cost. We currently get around 23mpg and struggled to get far in the Pyrenees last week as the engine was having none of it. We ended up much lower down the mountain than we had planned to watch the TDF. Would really like to reach the Col de Menté next year so maybe mapping will give us the extra oomph we needed. Also can we get it done at the Lincoln rally? :Cool:

6. haganap

around about 250-300 for a remap. Wow tuning used to hit the shows but not seen them for a while, others are normally there and do it at the show.

7. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Excellent, will probably get it done at the show. Are they all good and trustworthy do you know or do we have to be careful who we use? :thumb:

8. haganap

the ones at the shows tend to be good and decent.

There are bad remaps though, do your homework when warners publish their list of traders for Lincoln.

9. monk

monk Read Only Funster

We used a company called Remap and the come to my home and did it on my driveway at a cost of £200 :thumb:

10. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Sorry I did not reply last night but was unable to get online.
    Had it done locally by Power4economy, he used to work for TB turbos, very satisfied.

11. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Just a word of caution
    Had ours done by WOW and have burnt out 2 clutches since and I know Jaygee as well as several others have had the same problem. The increase in torque is very noticeable but it is at the cost of mpg ours does about 2 or 3mpg less. For the increase in torque and performance that would be acceptable bit the clutch problem isn't. Have written to WOW but been ignored but intend to sort it when I get back to the UK next week. Apparently they will remove it or reduce the power slightly. Watch this space!!

12. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

When I had my M/H remapped last week, I was told that many remaps increase power and torque across all the rev range, beginning from tick over, that's why clutches get wrecked, too much power too soon, instead of increasing the torque progressively to prevent clutch abuse.

13. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

So who did yours??

14. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Mine was done by an representative of ProTune, a nationwide company with area reps, mine was done by Oliver Wilkinson in Norfolk, but he does travel a lot, he says sometimes putting right other companies faulty remaps.
    He says that he will offer custom remaps for Funsters for £299 all in, normally £350.

I posted last week about my experiences for more information.
    oliver@protuning.co.uk
    www.protune-ecu-remapping.co.uk
    Hope this helps :thumb:

15. jaygee

jaygee Funster

As Rory said, had to get my clutch replaced soon after,if you read my post on the subject of remapping you will get the full story.
    In a nut shell after a WoW remap a very noticeable increase in power all through the range.
    I now have to accelerate gently from stationary and be very aware of the extra power,fine if im the only one to drive it!! but would not be without that extra power.
    Looking back i should have got more details and got a torque/rpm graph to evaluate which company to use for the best

Tony

16. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I was asked what I was looking for from the remap, I replied that I wanted more torque in the upper gears, ie, 4th 5th &6th which is what I received, pulling away from rest is only slightly more lively than before, but is noticeable, some people may want more than I received, but I'm sure it won't wreck my clutch.
    Fuel economy is yet to be assessed.

17. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

anyone heard of or used ECO POWER TUNING believe they are a national franchise and the nearest co that do remapping to me