RADIO

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by 2bob, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 2bob

2bob Funster

Hi i have a sundance l630 would it be safe to fit a radio straight from the leisure battery with a fuse in line .The l/b is under the bed at the rear so i was think of putting a radio at the back in the corner
    thx dave

2. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Cant see a problem with that Dave, but whats wrong with the one in front, surley you can hear it in the lounge area.

Eric

3. ericroy

ericroy Funster

A couple of points to watch out for if you are going ahead with this:
    1. A lot of current radios (if not most) have two power inputs - one is connected permanently to retain settings etc, and the other is controlled by the power switch. As long as your fuse is rated appropriately, both could be fed from the same supply lead. Note that depending on the radio model, you will be probably be adding a small continuous drain on the LB but this would be less than any alarm system.
    2. Check that there is some convenient way of tapping into the battery connections that will provide good contact and security. Poor connections can generate heat and lead to unpleasant consequences. Since any fault in the cables you install could short circuit the battery, have your inline fuse as close to the battery terminal as you can get it.
    We added a habitation area DAB radio (with remote and USB) fed by a roof-mounted powered aerial and have been delighted with results.

(A different) Eric

4. 2bob

2bob Funster

thx ericroy
    what fuse do you recon would a 5amp be ok if be
    thx dave

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Check the back of the unit.....it should state amperage.
    i would think 10 or 15 amps depending how loud you like it as Its the amplifier circuit which consumes most power.

6. ericroy

ericroy Funster

My radio needs 10A on the permanent supply and 15A on the switched power feed - but yours could be different depending on power rating/number of speakers etc.

7. 2bob

2bob Funster

thx you