Radio turns off with ignition

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by steveclecy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

On my car (and I suspect all) if I turn the radio on AFTER turning the ignition off, the radio will come on for a limited time (30 mins or an hour).

My MH radio will not. I have to have the ignition on. Is the capability of running your radio a wiring issue? Has this been installed wrong? Or is it something I have to live with?

The radio is a JVC KD-R311, and nothing in the manual gives any clues.

Steve

2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

On the motorhome is there no Auxiliary position on the ignition switch?

Most vehicles have such a stupid little battery now a days that they have to limit the time you can listen in as your car.

Mike

3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Radio turns off

My understanding is that this is so you dont flatten the battery, but I'm not sure what the answer is. Im sure there is a teccky here who can help, S

4. steveclecy

There appears to be no AUX position on the ignition switch on my X250.

Steve

5. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Unusual but quite possible, I am sure someone with the same base vehicle will be along soon.

6. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

You are correct, In our Swift Escape we have a JVC radio factory fixed (rather than the std Fiat one) This is live all the time, hence swift tell you to unclip the faceplate to turn the power off, as the on off switch just puts it on standby and runs down the battery.All seems abit heath robingson! But works ok.:Smile:

7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi , I have same problem with my 2011 autocruise starfire , apparently swift say that they do this so as not to flatten the battery (they presume that while parked /camp we might leave radio/cd player on , Stupid idea also my 2 aux sockets (i.e. for sat nav cig lighter etc) are wired the same way. I have visited a local electrical workshop about reconnecting they have quoted £75 +vat . plan to get done early spring. Terry

8. steveclecy

That sounds helpful, but does removing the faceplate (which I only discovered today!) really stop all power consumption?

I would be happy to power it off the auxiliary battery if it could be achieved simply.

Steve

9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

There is normally a permanent "live" feed to the stereo connector block as well as the "switched" feed from the ignition.

[​IMG]

This permanent live feed allows the radio to remember preset channels etc, but using only very low power consumption.

A simple "jump wire" connecting the permanent live to the stereo switched live will let you listen to the radio at any time regardless of the ignition being on.

Just remember to switch it off when finished though or you will very quickly have a flat starter battery.

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

This will work but will almost certainly make everything else on the ignition switched circuit live as well. Better to just disconnect the switched one and connect the unswitched one instead.

It is very true about the radio on standby draining the battery, I have experienced this with mine, which is wired to the permanent live. Removing the face plate does the job - only necessary if you're not using the van for a week or so.

11. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

That is what I meant... :Blush:

"A simple "jump wire" connecting the permanent live to the stereo switched live"..... but of course disconnect the "switched live" thereby isolating it.

My radio in the van is also connected to the permanent live, but I always remove the face panel when not in use.

12. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The best solution is to rewire the radio to the leisure battery and then fit a remote switch in the living area which will be in the ign controlled feed. This WILL NOT WORK on standard Fiat Peugeot fit radios in the X2/50 models as they are triggered through the canbus system but it is perfectly feasible with most aftermarket radios. The JVC units mentioned are not standard Fiat Peugeot offerings and therefore should be fine to wire up as described. My own radio is powered from the leisure battery and switched on/off with ignition but also has two remote switches in the living area, one by the sliding door and one over the bed so we can switch the radio on or off from either the lounge area or from in bed.

D.

13. aba

aba

mine has a pioneer fitted again not factory but fitted by the converter.
    i have a 2 way switch next to the gear lever that in the up position is ignition switched
    the middle position is off and the down position is fed from leisure battery.

• Like Like x 1
  14. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Mine has a rather neat system, standard fit by Rapido but presumably could be done by anyone understanding electrics.

The radio (a pioneer, rapido not fiat standard fit) is controlled through the ignition when driving, but when stopped there is power from the leisure battery through a master switch on the control panel.

This is vastly better than my last van, which just had the standard radio which had the fiat / peugeot 20min cutout. It was such a pain that I bought a portable to take with us.

But as mentioned before on these forums, the rapido does have an issue, in that the microphone in the camera is live so when the radio is on you can hear people overtaking you through the rear speaker!

15. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Radio power

Hi all, a tad surprised that most on here appear to have their cab radio connected to the engine starting battery, we have an 3yr old Autotrail Arapaho and the cab radio is wired to the leisure batteries.

Have you checked to see which batteries it actually connected to?

16. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Radio

I also have a 2011 Autocruise Starfire and the radio would only work with the ignition ON. Checked the menu and it was set on 20mins so I checked with motorhome dealer and he confirmed the control panel iabove the habiitation door had to be ON for the radio to work with ignition OFF. Its now OK. The 20 mins switch off time still applies.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. steveclecy

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Rather think my solution is to run power from a fused outlet on the leisure battery, which can be isolated when in storage.

Steve

18. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

re x250 i had an added problem in that the pionear dvd/sat nav head unit i have has no on/off switch.[made to be switched by acc position of ign switch] i got round this by a fused circuit for radio and dash power socket incorperated a 2hr timed relay [to avoid over use]with power "on" dash switch.. this allso has stopped the need to reset a sat nav or anything useing power socket every time you have a short stop ie fuel.