Quiet rural roads face 40mph limits

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jul 14, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Good proposal .. ?

I think so, what say you.

Full story

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I am from a very rural area and I think this proposed limit is a crap idea.
    Getting around a county like Lincolnshire with no motorways and few dual carriageways is a pain at the best of times.
    Slowing everyone down to 40 mph is likely to cause even more frustration and subsequent accidents than happen currently.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

For the likes of Devon & Dorset...

Not before time...

Twisty Roads uncut hedges, Farms Tractors and the like....

Yes a good idea....

Journey may take a little longer but at least I`m more likely to reach my destination with my wing mirrors intact. :thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Speed limits are just that, limits. Whatever the maximum nominally allowed the law requires that people drive safely.

On roads such as the one pictured in the article (narrow and twisting) it may well be unsafe to drive at more than 40 mph anyway. Indeed, if HGV drivers are driving legally then the limit will be a de facto 40 mph.

Problems arise from people whose concept of safe driving and, consequently, speed exceeds their actual capability. If lowering the limit encourages safety then why not?

We have just had a 20 mph restriction introduced on virtually all estate/residential roads within Middlesbrough. Most people on the estate we live on drive at a reasonable speed but there are the odd few (not just Asda delivery drivers) who drive too fast for the conditions. The fact that there is little or no enforcement other than signage means that the limit is easily open to abuse but hopefully the signs will encourage some to slow down.

5. Pikey Pete

Devon Dorset and Cornwall have some of the lowest death or serious injury, per 100,000 people in the whole country.

Dumfries and Galloway have one of the highest rates.

I still disagree that a 40mph speed limit will reduce these figures and it could even make it worse.

More revenue for the treasury for the additional speeding fines and the Police spending most of their time trying to catch speeders in rural areas rather than trying to catch villains, is the most likely result.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

But doesn't it always seem that its the locals who drive crazily in inappropriate areas.

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We live among hundreds miles of single track roads and narrow 2 lane B roads. To the unwary it might seem an idyllic and safe place to jog or cycle, however its not. I think 40mph is too fast, 30mph would be better.

• Like Like x 4
  8. old-mo

Other than Motorways/Duel Carriageways and some bigger "A" roads the roads down here were built for horse and carts..

And off those little or nothing has been done to bring them up to date..

And all are a recipe for disaster.. as we find out especially this time of year... extra traffic... holiday makers not knowing the roads, and think they can drive at the same speeds from whence they came... Wide roads, Duel Carriageways, a reasonably wide "A" roads and even "B" roads...

It`s a totally different ball game down here.... as previousley said..

And altogether different from Flat.. Little or no hedgerows, and being able to see what is coming from some times hundreds of yards, Lincolnshire....

And yes I have lived in Lincolnshire.. so I do know what I`m talking about.. :cry:

And as a by..... Lincolnshire have some of the worse roads for fatality`s in the country...

I forgot the actual statistics...... But the majority of fatality`s in Lincolnshire were from...

"Speeding"
    :Angry:

• Like Like x 3
  9. old-mo

"Yes".......... that is a lot of the problem...

The locals think they know where they are safe to drive like maniacs....:Doh:

And are to thick to think about drivers who are not familiar with the area... :Sad:

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agreed, around our way in rural Suffolk the locals are the worst, familiarity breeds contempt... even the tractors speed....:Laughing:

Visitors are also guilty, the forget it's a 'working' area with a lot of farm machinery on the road.. huge bits of kit that take up most of the road.. meet one of them on a bend head on and there is only one winner.... it takes no prisoners ..

11. Pikey Pete

If what you say is correct and it's easier to drive in Lincolnshire and more difficult in the west country then why are the accident figures much higher in Lincolnshire than down there? By the way much of Lincolnshire is far from flat.

Speeding isn't the killer it's the inability of the driver to drive within his or her capabilities and within the capabilities of the vehicle. Putting a 40mph speed limit in rural areas isn't going change that.

A lot of the statistics in Lincolnshire are created by motorcyclists, the majority of which don't live in the county, 33 dead this year already. Motorcyclists put the high fatality rate amongst them at the door of car drivers, but if you just look at how many of them ride their bikes, you know they are an accident, looking for somewhere to happen.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

When living in rural areas the job centre expect you to travel further for work. They see nothing wrong in travelling hunstanton to thetford daily, so if doing a 12hr shift yes you do drive fast home to eat, shower and sleep plus try to be a good family man kids homework etc. The other problem people overtaking sit to close to car in front, do not drop down the gears or plan the overtake at all. They think just put their foot down and the car will do it all leaving them sat on the wrong side of the road to long. It is wrong just to blame speed alone. ivory55

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I always drive on winding roads with the thought that someone else IS coming round the next bend and find that often I am only doing 20mph.
    When I was taught to drive, many years ago, my instructor insisted that I 'cover' the brake pedal at crossroads or blind bends, I still do it and have lost count of the number of times it has prevented an accident.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Crap proposal.

You can't create safety by blanket speed limits, you create safety by blanket education.

40 mph is quite inappropriate as a blanket large scale speed limit.

• Like Like x 3
  15. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

I am so pleased to hear this proposal. I've long wanted to see a 40mph limit on our lanes [note lanes, not A or B roads, which are generally arterial]. These are the very routes that should be perfect for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. But the current regime means that motorists are legally entitled to go as fast along them as on the widest, straightest A road. And people don't 'self-regulate'. If we did, we wouldn't need traffic laws at all, other than an injunction to drive on the left. On twisty, narrow roads, people still feel the need to drive at 10/10ths [or more!] of their ability, leaving no margin for the unexpected - such as a group of walkers, or a cyclist, around the next blind corner. And they are pushed on by the folk behind, as no-one likes to feel they are 'holding someone up'. Which leads to an anxious queue of drivers battering along what should be a peaceful country lane.

As a motorist I observe my own speed limits within those applied by the law. I travel at 60mph on motorways, which are generally so crowded that lane 3 becomes a 70mph traffic jam. I drive at 40 mph or less along narrow country lanes. It would be a welcome change to feel that the law was on my side for once!

• Like Like x 1
  16. old-mo

If what you say is correct and it's easier to drive in Lincolnshire and more difficult in the west country then why are the accident figures much higher in Lincolnshire than down there? By the way much of Lincolnshire is far from flat.
    .............................................................................................................................

The population of Lincolnshire on December 21st 2011 is approximately 702,468.
    .............................................................................................................................

" " " Dorset 714,900 as of 2010.
    ............................................................................................................................

The population of Devon on July 14th 2012 is approximately 755,501.

Answer to your question..... Speed and the inability to drive safely.. :Sad:

Nothing more nothing less. :Wink:
    [/COLOR]

17. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Note the words "guidance" and "easier" in the original post sounds like discretion to me. Leave it to the people in the area that know what they are talking about.
    I have driven HGV's for most of my working life and have to live with a blanket 40 limit on single carraigeways. I can think of several examples of rural roads where 40mph is too fast and others where 50, in a truck, would be OK.
    A good example is the A66 from the M6 westbound, sections are modern wide single carriageway with 40 limit and regular radar traps at the bottom of a long hill. Farther along the road is dualled with the eastbound section the old twisty road, legal limit for trucks is 50mph but in my opinion 40 is quite often unsafe on this section.

As I said local discretion :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. JJ

JJ Funster

20 mph is too fast for some drivers I know...

JJ

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

When did a speed limit ever slow "everyone" down ?
    The brain dead ones don't adhere to speed limits.

Anyway 20 is very often more appropriate than 40 in a lot of the back single track lanes I visit regularly.

"If you can't stop in the distance you can see you will have an accident one day"

This gets twice as bad on single track roads because what you see is moving towards you.

The the slow of thinking say "yippee 40 mph I'm safe" but the reality is 40 + 40 mph is 80 mph head on in this rural road, this is safe ?

Got to fix the BRAIN, you'll never make safety with a number inside a red circle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We used to holiday in D&G in the 1980s and I'll always remember being told that there were more accidents in summer than winter - because summer visitors tended to drive properly whilst the locals (on their own over the winter) were used to their own bad driving. Accidents happened because summer visitors took the correct action to avoid accidents rather than the action which locals expected.