Quality Motorhomes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by EssexBoy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Hi All

We're on the lookout for a new van and have decided to go for older & quality rather than newer.

We have seen a couple of Rapido vans and have been impressed, but have seen today on the web a Pilote that has the right layout, but as we have no experience of Pilote, are they considered "quality" ?

What is the concensus of opinion?

Cheers

Steve

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes.. Pilote is considered good quality , French built. I am considering buying the new van conversion by them called the Foxy ..

but not wanting to start WW3.. just about anything built in Germany is of decent quality .

3. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Thanks Jim... Might be worth a trip to view it then... was originally sceptical as its a long way away..

4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We traded in our very well built auto-sleeper for a very well built Pilote. They have a good reputation. I would not hesitate to buy another but the layout of the one we have now suits perfectly

5. cranky

cranky Funster

I think they are about on a par with Rapido but it boils down to what suits you.The Pilote's we looked at just didn't do it for me. I prefer the Rapido but then I'm biased:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Don't know about Pilote but we sold a new van and went back to a 8 year old van 4 years ago and its turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made. The type of build quality we now have is not possible today, can't see us parting with it until we're ready to downsize.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Snap.
    When we bought ours, if we'd payed just a few grand more , we could gave got the newer version of ours. Ours was 3 years old when we bought it.
    The only reason were selling ours now ( eventually after Xmas , or spring ) is because we are doing our own PVC.
    We've looked, liked things on new ones , and thought lots of other things let them down.
    We got it right first time , for us , with ours present MH.
    But have decided we want a smaller van , to get us to the more out of the way places we crave.
    But we want everything we have now and more , in the new panel van conversion. And we just can't buy it off the shelf.

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we had a Pilote before our Hymer, more basic than Hymer but well built, practical MH

some details we preferred in the Pilote, some things were a bit quirky, but hey it is French

9. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

While in France a couple of weeks ago we were parked next to a Cartier motorhome which really looked good. Had a look at the website but no prices listed.

Mike

10. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

11. DuxDeluxe

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Thanks for the comments...

Essentially, we wanted to spend in the region of £35-40k, for which we could buy a brand new "budget" van, but I think we would be better off buying an older used "quality" van.

Our problem has been understanding what constitutes a "quality" make/model, as we only have experience of British caravans and the cheaper end of motorhomes...

We know German vans are good, but suitable layout ones are like hens teeth round here, so would at least like to know we aren't travelling 100s of miles to view vans for nothing

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

There was a 2004 (I think) Hymer 820 shown on here and sold this week for 40K top quality van. I have the forerunner to this S740, It's a 2001, had it since 2003, Just been to Lincoln as I'm thinking of getting something a bit newer, There was little to come near it, apart from a 2012 Hymer 830, for £110,000. And that's the problem, I agree with what the guys are saying about new vans (RMB, VARIO and CONCORDE etc excepted) that is quality down, price up.

15. DuxDeluxe

Must say that our Pilote has everything we need and many more toys than the previous van. A similarly specced Hymer was about £15k more, with no discernible difference in quality. Combi heating, double floor, grp sides, extra batteries, huge fridge, proper kitchen etc. above all, no rattles or creaks apart from one trim squeak which was quickly fixed

16. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I know for sure if I had between £35 and £40K to spend on a motorhome and with the £ being strong at the moment, also at the end of season I would be trolling the German websites for quality bargains. £40K sterling will buy you a 50K van in Germany and with a little haggling a 60K van. If the right van is bought at 60K in Germany you should be able to run it for a couple of years and at the very least get your money back, with luck maybe a little profit. My first foray into the purchase of quality German imports was with £8K sterling. In 5 years that £8K has not only given me a great deal of pleasure, but with buying the right vans and selling them on when I have found another, has turned into an outfit worth well in excess of £40K now, with not a penny extra put to the original £8K investment other than the extras I have fitted to them. Motorhomes need not be a poor investment IF you buy the right van, from the right place. Like most things in life, its a buyers market, you just have to buy right. Good luck with your search, but do not be afraid to spread your wings a little further than your local dealer. Many of the quality German vans were never imported into the UK new, and until a few years ago were never heard of in the UK. For many years the Germans had vast amounts of disposable income, and were not afraid to spend it on quality products, whereas not many here in the UK would spend the equivalent of a medium sized house on a motorhome, many Germans did just that. When I bought my first RMB although it was over 20 years old, when new would have cost the price of a large house in the UK. Can you imagine anyone here in the UK paying more for there motorhome than there house ?.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Yup! RMB. Has to be.

Their quality is immense. Truly immense. I defy ANYONE to prove me wrong.

Sure, you could buy a new 'van with proper, solid wood inside these days. Sure, it'll have a stiff, one piece shell and be super-insulated. Sure, you'll get porcelain fittings and solid stainless taps. Then what would you pay for one, assuming you could find one? Or have one custom built. The latter is more likely.

Well, that's how RMB operated back in the 80's and 90's. And quality lasts. Truly.

Udo's 22 years old and all original. Who'd have thought it, eh?...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I was talking from my own Pilote experience, from the OP I had thought the budget might have been a bit lower than I now know, our 2004 Pilote interior was a bit like marmite, the later models seem to have become more muted in colour choices

But I agree with most comments, more money does not necessarily mean more quality, we have an 08 800S class Hymer, stopped making in 2009, (there are the odd 2010 registered around) the financial loss on ours for the first owner was eye watering

We have been told though by the discerning, that the earlier S class was the better one (typical though) I generally buy wrong, but they do have a lot of quality fittings, which by age simply means potential for expensive failures!

Good luck with your search, you will get opinions right across some will say buy older others buy newer, some will say don't touch a particular make others will tell the only one to consider is that same model :)

19. DuxDeluxe

Agree with what you say. Each has their own requirements, and I must say the upholstery choice is a little strange in our van - an odd colour. The one with half leather that we looked at was really nice but sadly it was sold before we made up our mind. However the cost difference meant that if we wanted to, we could recover it anyway. Needless to say, we have got used to it, now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Thanks all... some great points well made...

I've had a poke around on a couple of Germany websites and can't believe the choice and reasonable prices !!!

Although I have another make to consider TEC - and they look quite impressive for the price. They appear to be a hymer sub-brand.

Anyone know much about them pls?