PTS ambulance conversion electrics help? (1 Viewer)

Greenfingers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2022
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Renault Master PTS
Exp
Newbie here, wondering if anyone has experience of converting an ambulance or PTS vehicle?

I've just bought a Renault Master 3 LWB, which I am hoping to use as a multi purpose van, a day van for 5 people and 2 dogs and also as a camper for 2 people.

It was a cheapish buy with 188k miles on the clock, but it drives really well and has fairly clean bodywork. I was particularly keen on this type of van, because a lot of the modifications needed have already been done, such as rear travel seats, windows, skylight, lined interior and a lot of electric add ons. I'm not looking to go off grid for days at a time; more likely stopover at campsites over week long tours of the UK, so would prefer not to use up space with a shower room and keep the conversion fairly simple.

So I started stripping out some of the equipment today and was horrified at the amount of redundant wiring, circuit boards and so on. Of course, a lot of the Ambulance Service equipment has already been removed, but I was surprised at the number of cut wires and now realise that it will be a major headache finding out which need to be reinstated. One particular thing I want to get working is the Eberspacher heater, which shows no signs of life, along with the Genisys control panel and various other items. At least the AGM leisure battery seems okay, showing almost 13 Volts of charge. I could always run new cabling to the things I need, but seeing as the infrastructure is already there, that shouldn't be necessary.

Does anyone here have any experience with or understand these systems?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pics of my baby attached:-

Attachments

• van1.jpg
    van1.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 87
  • van2.jpg
    van2.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 79
  • van3.jpg
    van3.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 81
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I think it would be easier to start again and remove the old stuff, campervan wiring does not need to be complicated and you might end up with short circuits with the original.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Same as above, Id add new wrining to avoid mix up with stuff you know nothing about, run them under the floor or wall panels you will be fitting. Good luck.

just be Patient :rofl: Im sure you'll get there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The Genesis system is programmed by plugging it in. It’s a complex bit of kit you really won’t need it for what you want to achieve.

As others have said, I would start again. The other thing with the Genesis system is when they play up, they aren’t fixable unless you have the software to plug in.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have one
IMG_20200914_170744275_HDR.jpg

Converted it myself, I have loads of wires but ignored them all if they didn't do anything, anything you want to know just ask.
As to the diesel heater, on mine the ignition has to be switched on for it to kick up but even then it is on a timer and will switch off after about ten minutes, then you have to start it over again. If you do a Google on it , apparently there is a purple wire somewhere around the door pillar that needs to be cut to stop the timer working but I have never been brave enough to find it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might add, can't fault your choice of vehicle, we love ours (y)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Welcome.....

Nice van not too ambulancey!

Here's my previous Renault master van!

At least the 2.3 and 2.8 seem more reliable than the 2.2!

Also my basic transit conversion is just a few threads below top ATM.

OP
OP
G

Greenfingers

Free Member
Feb 3, 2022
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Renault Master PTS
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. Point noted about ripping out the old wiring, but having seen that video previously, I was horrified at the amount of work involved and was considering just isolating some circuits instead. After all, I've only just started looking at it, but have already found plenty of useful circuits intact: rear ceiling lighting and spot lights, electric step, reversing claxon, rear air conditioning and so on. My first job yesterday was to remove the wheelchair lift, which has freed up another 12V feed. The van must be at least 200Kg lighter now!

Here's my previous Renault master van!
Thanks James, just read your thread, which is very enlightening. I anticipate pestering you as mine progresses!

Attachments

• no lift.jpg
    no lift.jpg
    931.8 KB · Views: 45

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'm sure you will do a much better job than me!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back