rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As most of you know.yawn. we are off touring France and Germany next Sunday and have been told to stock up on a few provisions.We have got a few extra paracetamols and indigestion tablets as advised on a thread earlier this week. But what other items will be very expensive compared to the UK? Baked beans ,tin veg,beer,vodka,etc. I know lots of you have done this but its the first time for us . We have probably gone a bit overboard with our planning and it will probably all be so much simpler the next time we go.
Ps.we are going for 2months and have got hard copies of insurance papers done as was advised by comfort that printed email copies were not valid. Had to renew a monthearly to get it.that was anothe£640 unexpected expense.

You might see Rainbow! Leaving on the same day for France/Spain/Italy.

Take some DECENT sausages...i think I saw an awful brand mentioned somewhere! Try your butcher...freeze before you leave. Local one round here was doing burgers at 60p last weekend, they were scrum!

Wraps, Marmite & Cheese - quick snack lunch! mmm! Don't knock before you try!

Puff pastry - roll out and fill with tomato, mushrooms, cheese,either mince or sliced sausage, peppers and onion with oodles of my wonderful salt replacement (oregano) - fold over, slap in oven 20-30 mins..mmm! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Surely the reason we go overseas is to experience the sights, sounds, and the TASTES, of the Country we are going to!

We take the bare minimum when we go to France, enough to last for the first days meal. We use local shops for the rest, and Markets. One thing we do take and a good few of, is Tea bags.

Taking English Food to France is like going to a Chinese Restaurant and smothering everything with Tomato Sauce!

then you will love Scotland .... not :RollEyes:

Haggis... offal of lamb stuffed in a plastic bag and smothered with pepper to kill the taste
Deep fried pizza,
Scotch pies .. blocks of lard in pastry
Deep fried Mars bars... yuck
Macaroni .. the national dish .. made popular by the Italian prisoners or WW2 who couldn't stomach Scottish 'food' also opened most of the chippies ..
Bread , good for making door stops and caravan steps
Soggy chips
Anything not mentioned, find in a local chippy .. deep fried of course

The reason Scotland has the highest rate of heart attacks and obesity

The point I make is that not all foreign food is good.. some is awful , and there are other reasons to go abroad.. like the weather ..

Don't forget your tea bags :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Stuff we usually have trouble getting is:

baked beans

Fresh milk

Decent tea bags

Cheese

Pretty much everything else is ok :Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This post got me wondering....

What would visitors to our country bring with them? What would they miss?

By the way I cant agree on taking cheese to France,,, Jeeze they have some of the best in the world.. As far as I am concerned the uglier and smellier the better.

ShiftZZ

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

baked beans

Fresh milk

Decent tea bags

Cheese

How can you have trouble buying cheese in France, thats where most of it comes from.

grandadbaza

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
Habrough, N E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
If I have got the ingredients to make a proper cup of tea nothing else really matters , so no matter where I go I take my fav tea bags ,and the rest I do local, but when you get back dose'nt a lincolnshire sausage taste so so ssooooooooooooooo good

Baza

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Scotland? Foriegn? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mate! to the rest of the REAL World it's a part of the United Kingdom, you are BRITS!
It's about time this "Tribalism" is put to one side:Angry:

Yes! I know I rattle on at times about the Cornish being the last of the true Brits, but that's just to stir things up a bit!:thumb:

I now retire to the Anderson shelter expecting the flak from the Celts!:Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Mate! to the rest of the REAL World it's a part of the United Kingdom, you are BRITS!

Yes! I know I rattle on at times about the Cornish being the last of the true Brits, but that's just to stir things up a bit!:thumb:

I now retire to the Anderson shelter expecting the flak from the Celts!:Blush:

No. Scotland is Scotland, Wales is Wales , Ireland is Ireland and England is err England.

It isn't tribalism, it's heritage and long may it continue.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No

baked beans

Fresh milk

Decent tea bags

Cheese

You can find fresh milk on the cold shelf in most supermarkets but you need to be in early as it don't last on the shelf long!!:thumb:

Cheese.... this is the Cheese capital of the world:Eeek:

Tea bags.. nothing wrong with Liptons Yellow lable:winky:

Baked Beans.... quite a few supermarkets have a British section which includes baked beans. but you pay a premium for them :RollEyes:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I agree about the cheese. French Cheese is superb. I am indeed a Cheese Guru!

However we always take two big bars of yellow mature chedder of the strong variety as its there is nothing better for cheese on toast IMO.

The cheese stalls at markets and in supermarkets still do very well out of me though. We stayed at Roquefort in the south of France where there is a cracking free aire and several free guided tours around the cheese caves.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
No. Scotland is Scotland, Wales is Wales , Ireland is Ireland and England is err England.

It isn't tribalism, it's heritage and long may it continue.

You go overseas using a BRITISH passport? you are British!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
This post got me wondering....

[HI]
What would visitors to our country bring with them? What would they miss?
[/HI]

By the way I cant agree on taking cheese to France,,, Jeeze they have some of the best in the world.. As far as I am concerned the uglier and smellier the better.

ShiftZZ

Just go to Tesco and see the shelves dedicated to Polish stuff, the've researched what the Polish 'visitors' want.:RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You might see Rainbow! Leaving on the same day for France/Spain/Italy.

Puff pastry - roll out and fill with tomato, mushrooms, cheese,either mince or sliced sausage, peppers and onion with oodles of my wonderful salt replacement (oregano) - fold over, slap in oven 20-30 mins..mmm! :thumb:

sounds suspiciously like a wierd pasty to me a cornshire one maybe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

never mind the Celts, how dare you lump me in with the Welsh, Scots, Irish, and even Cornish (just displaced frenchmen, hee hee). I am ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
never mind the Celts, how dare you lump me in with the Welsh, Scots, Irish, and even Cornish (just displaced frenchmen, hee hee). I am ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Devon? DEVON? :shout:you can't make pastys, you don't know which goes on the Scone first, the cream or the jam! :Doh: you're just exiled Taffys:RollEyes:
Once we dig the last 5miles and set England adrift in the Western Ocean you'll be sorry then:cry:

Devon! Huh!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
My 'must have' list:

Walkers crisps - found the flavours in Belgium/Germany etc a bit limited

Branston Baked Beans - available but about £1.50 a tin

Cheddar cheese though I found plenty of cheese I loved over there

Teabags - Aldi in Germany did great T-bags when I ran out

Some gluten free foods as only found a decent range in Belgium and Austria :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back