Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Motorhome Storage' started by harryoxford2, Sep 21, 2011.

1. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

If I store me 32 foot rv in me garden I get charged £50 quid on me insurance...If I take it to storage....loads a money per year to the storage people....

so glad I did maths at school.

OK granted ya gotta have a big garden and a vandal free area to live.

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

I believe that insurance premiums are higher if you store you mh away from your home, eg in storage.
    Jim
    :Smile:

3. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

If your garden is big enough and security issues are dealt with....the practical benefits of keeping a motor home at home seem to far outweigh
    keeping it away from home.

Keeping it undercover in the winter may be a real benefit....but apart from that.......having done both. I like mine at home.

barry

4. carl65

carl65 Funster

mine was in storage no keep at home but have never told insurance on list to do soon now though !!

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Its cheaper to use it !! Go on.. make the most of your investment !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Mine is in storage. it will not fit on my drive.

It's definitely more secure in storage than it ever would be on my drive.

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I'm lucky to have space in the drive , no security problems and hooked up all the time. Its also great to be able to go and fiddle without complications :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steveutwg

Steveutwg Read Only Funster

Winter Storage

Well we must be lucky, our van is on our campsite, all nicely plugged in to keep her warm, don't stop the greedy insurers stealing you premium every month though:Angry:

9. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

Ours is parked on the drive along side the house plugged in ans used all through the winter even if it is only a couple of nights wilding locally or just for a day out to watch the world go by.

Rob
    :thumb:

10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Mine's parked at home, the only disadvantage I see with this is that when you do go away the bandits know you are not at home:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Goshawk

Goshawk Funster

yep mine at home also, have had outside hook up fitted, use small oil filled rad in winter , but try to use it when i can, its not got any cover either, so clean when required but not to frequently:)(y)

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

an old thread but still worth posting..

word of caution..

Oil filled rads can catch fire.. check with your insurance company if you are covered with a portable electric heater left unattended . .. if so, get it in writing.

I would also question why you think need it..

• Like Like x 2
  13. Goshawk

Goshawk Funster

we use the oil filled rad on the odd occasion only, i suppose you are right oil filled rads can catch fire but so can any electrical device, including ehu cables neatly wrapped under the motorhome, with this in mind i shall not use the rad, but use mh system instead, thanks for the info, better to be safe

14. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

No no no - don't wrap ehu cables under the van!!!
    They get hot.
    Always uncoil the whole length and lay it out - not under the van - and never on the reel if plugged in!!!!

As for storage - don't store it at home - sell the house and live in it(y)

• Like Like x 2
  15. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

, on drive next 2 garage on solar 4 trickle charge vehicle battery, and leisure,de-humidifier, if starts 2 struggle [bad weather ] no sun, ehu

16. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We pay for storage facilities, but are able to keep the MH at home if we wish, and certainly when I am working on it.

A word of caution though. :( A recent conversation with a Comfort Insurance team manager, revealed that if the MH was not in use, and stored elsewhere for more than 48hrs, they had to be notified, as the vehicle would not be insured. They offered to use my home address as the place of storage at no extra charge.
    I argued the point that if the MH was moved from my driveway, to the Gold registered secure storage compound, then surely that made it more secure, and that I shouldn't need to inform them if it was there for more than 48hrs. "No Sir, that is not acceptable, as the vehicle is not in use, and not at the registered place of storage. Gordon Bl##dy Bennett. :mad:

Eventually, the underwriters agreed to insure the MH both at the storage site, and at home on the drive, whilst not in use, without the need to inform them. Common sense prevailed at last. :rolleyes:

Apparently they got stung by someone using a Somerset storage address, and then claiming for damage in London, where the vehicle had been left unattended for several days. The Ombudsman found in favour of the claimant, due to a lack of wording on the policy outlining the rules on storage, (since ammended) So, if leaving the MH unattended on a site in Spain for example, whilst flying back to the UK for an appointment or a family visit......................BEWARE. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1