Propane?/Butane?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scattycat, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Is it my imagination or does Propane burn hotter than Butane?

We use both from time too time and it seems Butane takes longer to boil a saucepan of water than Propane.

Are there any experts out there who can give a definitive answer?

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Butane provides almost twice (?) the heat value of propane, but dosent work well in (very) cold weather, hence Prope is the 'in' gas for outdoor winter types......And it's a tad cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Propane and butane are two similar gases used for heating and other fuel applications. Although proponents of each gas hold theirs to be the superior, both have benefits and disadvantages. Butane burns more cleanly and provides more energy, but propane is a better choice for situations in which temperatures may drop below freezing. Ultimately, the gases are quite similar, and the choice between the two largely depends on the availability and intended use of the product.

Similarities
    Both gases are derived from petroleum, either from oil or natural gas, but have different chemical structures. Each burns at similar temperatures and both release water and carbon dioxide as waste products. If the amount of oxygen available is limited when the gasses are being burned, they may also produce soot and carbon monoxide. In some cases, the gases may be used interchangeably, but people should always consult the manufacturer before attempting to substitute one for the other.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Not my words by the way:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

Propane works all the time.

Butane does not.

Refillable bottles = propane.

Your choice.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Mr JJ, your so........CLINT!! :)

:rofl:

7. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

When I buy disposable cylinders for when I am fishing / camping under canvas they are a 70/30 mix of Propane and Butane which gives the best of both worlds. Why can't they all be like that? The answer will almost certainly come down to profit...............:rolleyes:

Tinca

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJ

JJ Funster

Go ahead Mr Tootles...

Make my day.

JJ :cool:

9. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Many thanks for all your
    learned replies.
    But I'm still convinced that when boiling a saucepan of water the Propane boils it quicker and also when using the cadac it seems to get hotter more quickly than Butane.
    Hey, ho. maybe the local supermarket supplier gets the labelling wrong on the tanks . LOL

I'll have to do some definitive experiments to prove my theory wrong:(

10. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Campingaz is a propane/butane mix - but soooo expensive

Just realised that my van was probably designed for 2 x Campingaz bottles, not Calor 4.5kg (that's why I couldn't carry a spare Calor bottle - too big).

So I will carry 1 Calor bottle and 1 Campingaz + valve - so gas in Europe will not be a problem

The largest Campingaz 'only' holds 2.7kg of gas but it is amazing how much gas it produces.

Earlier this year I used that size bottle to 'torch on' 40 square metres of roofing felt ! - just one 2.7kg bottle

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think there is a real life difference but it is not down to "calorific values" . When you start cooking the liquid gas in the bottle starts to cool as gas is drawn off. In extreme cases this can cause ice to form on the outside of the bottle - and show you exactly how much gas you have left, so it isn't all a bad thing. With butane as the liquid cools the pressure falls significantly. With propane, which has a much lower boiling point the reduction in pressure is not nearly so marked. So I guess it is quicker cooking with propane because the cooker (or BBQ) is running off a higher gas pressure.

• Like Like x 1