Problems with storage? (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, newbie here,

Just on the internet looking for quotes for the motorhome we pick up on the 30th. We'll be storing at the same place we have stored our caravan for the last 5 years as we've had no problems. A couple of insurance companies have said they they won't even consider covering us where we store it :cry:

We live in a tiny village and the storage is 50 yards from our house at a farm, somebody lives on the premises 10 foot from where the MH is standing, its fully fenced and locked at night. The great thing is we don't get charged for storage.

Has anybody else had similar issues with a similar set up or are the companies I've been trying particularly picky??

Nicky

OP
OP
sticky130
Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Luckily Caravan Guard seem to be one of the one's that's ok with it. We have two other cars (have to living where we do!) so no room for the MH as well.

Looks like we'll just have to go with Caravan Guard then...

Just be nice to have a bit more choice.

Nicky

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm insured with Safeguard and they let me keep it on a friend's driveway or outside my house on the road, or since today at a CASSOA storage place. They seem v. laid back about it.

Catherine

morrisgapyear

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
lowline coachbuilt
Exp
waiting for the old man to retire, but enjoyig weekends and holidays away as often as possible
Cheaper to keep at home

Storage company decided to up rates by 19% this year. Not wanting to play that game, got quoted by ins for keeping on driveway. Result £20 cheaper than at a 'gold' standard storage facility. Win, win situation! No storage fees + cheaper ins and no diesel costs to get to storage.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I had an issue last year when I came to renew my insurance and started out shopping around for alternative quotes.

My current insurers, Comfort, were happy with my m/h storage (local campsite with a secure, separate storage compound), but another one wasn't (MHF) - despite the fact that the underwriters and the policy was exactly the same - with Aviva. when I queried this, it seems that Aviva were happy with the storage on a "continuity" basis - i.e if I stick with Comfort - but weren't for new policies based on a revised assessment of security risk for the storage.

Bizarre or what??

It will be interesting to see what happens at next renewal!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Last year I asked what the difference in premiums would be between storage and parked on road at home. (Aviva through the caravan Club)

Parking on the road at my home address was £20 a year cheaper than parking in an Approved indoor secure storage facility with CCTV etc 5 miles away....:Eeek:

Guess where my van is now?

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
sadly I can't park my m/h at home as we live on a private estate with a restrictive covenant which doesn't allow for long term parking of commercial vehicles (white van man) or m/homes and caravans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back