Private HGV (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Maybe the following is a little clearer?

Rule 265
The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

• any vehicle drawing a trailer
  • a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
  • a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
  • a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
  • a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.

Speed limiters
A speed limiter must be fitted on:

• vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats, eg buses, minibuses, coaches, stretch limousines
  • goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes
Speed limiters are designed to reduce accidents. They limit the maximum speed of a vehicle by restricting the fuel supply to the engine. Having a speed limiter may mean that your vehicle can’t reach the speed limit.

Motorhomes
Motorhomes or motor caravans are classed as goods vehicles if they:

• carry goods for exhibition and sale
  • are used as a workshop
  • are used for storage

National speed limits
Type of vehicle Built-up areas mph (km/h) Single carriageways mph (km/h) Dual carriageways mph (km/h) Motorways mph (km/h)

Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112)
Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)

Hope that helps

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
never use the third lane, full of speeding, too close together bmw and merc drivers.
im on holiday, why rush
ps. don't handle that well over 70 anyway,lol:)

"full of speeding, too close together bmw and merc drivers." glad you excluded Jaguar drivers but don't forget the despicable telephone sanitiser area managers in their company Audis.

On holiday - quite agree

"don't handle that well over 70 anyway" - OK, enough of you, what about the motorhome?? ;)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just for clarification the 7.5 tonne weight limit and no trailers in the 'fast' lane on motorways only applies to 3+ lane motorways,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Fuel consumption is what prevents us using lane 3 too much. 55-65 is frugal compared to 65-75.
We're normaly on some sort of time restriction though so try and make progress when possible.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Surely they are taken as read, along with Audi Ked drivers, in such situations aren't they? :D
Despite driving the classiest vehicle on the road (as used by all the best 1960's bank robbers) Jag owners waft along the road and keep clear of other vehicles in case they get too close. Parked close to a motorhome at Waitrose yesterday and now have a bad case of "Burstner Blight" which is worse than pigeon poo :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It used to be Volvo drivers that were seen to be complete knobs, now it's Audi and BMW. Jag drivers were 1960's bank robbers that still drive Jags now their coffin dodgers. :imoutahere:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Despite driving the classiest vehicle on the road (as used by all the best 1960's bank robbers) Jag owners waft along the road and keep clear of other vehicles in case they get too close. Parked close to a motorhome at Waitrose yesterday and now have a bad case of "Burstner Blight" which is worse than pigeon poo :LOL:

You parked next to a Burstner? :eek:

That's knocked 5 grand off of your trade in value straight away :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It used to be Volvo drivers that were seen to be complete knobs, now it's Audi and BMW. Jag drivers were 1960's bank robbers that still drive Jags now their coffin dodgers. :imoutahere:
Oi!! - I'll set my getaway driver "Grouty" Basil Tootles on to you....... ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oi!! - I'll set my getaway driver "Grouty" Basil Tootles on to you....... ;)
Is he still mobile 'ol Grouty? Supercharged bath chair by now m'thinks. When did he get out 'cos you lot got a long stretch after your getaway Jag broke down I heard?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For abroad ... have 2 registration docs and plates for van ... one at 3,500kg and one at 4,250kg ... :rolleyes:

It's alright wafting the 3500kgs at the Gendarme (saying you can go like stink) until he takes you to the weighbridge.
You're then stuffed, damn if you do, damned if you don't methinks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For once Graham, you are spot on there. Put a Burstner alongside any other vehicle and the lower value of the Burstner is very obvious...........
You are developing a real talent for seeing things from the wrong angle. It could be a vision problem due to lack of carrots but I reckon you are just trying to give that impression so that I will bring you a Supreme Acklam Piestie (complete with carrots naturally) to Peterborough :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's alright wafting the 3500kgs at the Gendarme (saying you can go like stink) until he takes you to the weighbridge.
You're then stuffed, damn if you do, damned if you don't methinks.
ONLY if we ARE over 3500kg which is highly unlikely abroad - its mainly for the UK when we've been to a car boot sale and stuff the camper as this would make us borderline - that's one of the reasons we've uprated to 4250kg ... plus the road tax is less for a PHGV!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not know about most of you but I worry about my fuel consumption to go over 90kph anyway it will roar way past but the fuel gauge drops whilst watching it. Just stay with the lorries or maybe a tage faster.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Was that from his grey tank pipe?????

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Was that from his grey tank pipe?????
The grey waste is usually the most valuable part of a Burstner.......... Unless the waste contains the flushed remains of green glowing radioactive Acklam piesties ;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
  • a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or

Have you thought how utterly STUPID that is?. The object of using the "outside" lane would be for overtaking?. IMV the most frustrating aspect of speed limiters is the fact that such a manoeuvre takes so much longer to perform, means that the queue of traffic behind is going to be greater, and the "wave effect" caused is likely to lead to more not less "accidents". You just cannot legislate for the STUPIDITY of the MORONS who thought that one up!, some ignorant "erk" in the DVL(unfit for purpose)A. I would suspect!!. Or some junior "oik" with one eye on His/Her protected (paid for by us taxpayers) pension.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you thought how utterly STUPID that is?. The object of using the "outside" lane would be for overtaking?. IMV the most frustrating aspect of speed limiters is the fact that such a manoeuvre takes so much longer to perform, means that the queue of traffic behind is going to be greater, and the "wave effect" caused is likely to lead to more not less "accidents". You just cannot legislate for the STUPIDITY of the MORONS who thought that one up!, some ignorant "erk" in the DVL(unfit for purpose)A. I would suspect!!. Or some junior "oik" with one eye on His/Her protected (paid for by us taxpayers) pension.

Pete
But how much more stupid when the driver (who doesn't have to overtake) does so knowing there is every likelihood that he will cause a queue and then refuses to slow down and pull back in when that results. There again, you cannot legislate for the stupidity of morons who just think of themselves rather than considering others.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
All of the UK legislation applies to goods vehicles only. So how does that affect motorhomes of any weight?
(Unless they're carrying goods of course).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All of the UK legislation applies to goods vehicles only. So how does that affect motorhomes of any weight?
(Unless they're carrying goods of course).

Another can o worms. Licence, C1+E allows a PHG driver to drive a MAM of 8.25t unless they have taken the extra test, when it goes to 12t. HOWEVER D1+E allows a driver to drive a MAM of 12t without recourse to an "upgrade" test..

So!!. Your 9t R-V and trailer / Toad, needs an extra Test. BUT load 12 Kids in a 4,5t Minbus. and pull a MAM of 9t of Camping Kit. Without recourse to a further test.!! Dohh!!.

And there are people on here who appear to think I am being unfair to the Governmental (******) who make these "rules"?.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back