Price haggling

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Puddleduck, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'm not sure of this is in the correct forum section or not but here goes.....

When you see the motorhome that you think has your name on it how much should you expect to haggle on the dealer's forecourt? I'm not much good at bargaining so it is always pretty difficult for me :Sad:

It is a cash sale and there is no trade in. Is it best just to ask for "the best price" or to make an offer - and if an offer at what % of full price?

I'd rather walk away than have an awkward conversation. I know walking away is always up to me if I'm not 100% happy.

We are doing a second viewing of a motorhome tomorrow - it a model that isn't often seen for sale but they've had it on the website for a couple of weeks at least. I've seen just one more of the same make and model advertised in the past 4 months. The other is a year younger but with over 3x the mileage for sale in the UK. Both are the same asking price.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I started with a 10% discount haggle and ended up agreeing on about 8%

• Like Like x 1
  3. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

The best thing is to bid a thousand pounds below your top figure then you can go up by a thousand if needed, the dealer will know what he has in the vehicle he is selling, which may be £5,000 or even £10,000 but don't forget he has to stand the or pay for a warranty out of that plus his VAT content, then he has to pay staff rent rates electric insurances etc none of which come cheap. :thumb:

4. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Like you I am not good at haggling, but neither do I want to spend more than I want to.
    This is my approach to haggling.

1 - Is the asking price comparable to others for sale.

2. What am I prepared to pay

3. Are there any "problems" that would offer me a bargaining lever (Cam belt; tyres, oil leaks, things not working in the habitation area, dings dents etc. you will know what to look for if you have studied Jims guide to buying a motorhome)

4. Having taken these things into consideration offer a lower price than you are prepared to pay allowing you room to move and him room to come down in the hope you will meet at your price)

5 If you can't agree on the price walk away with a friendly hand shake, a smile and go look for another motorhome - there are plenty out there if you keep looking)

6. Like all things motorhomes are only worth what you are prepared to pay for them

Norman

• Like Like x 4
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I agree. We both have to be happy - the dealer is in business to make money not to go bankrupt.

I have bought my last three cars from the same salesman at the same garage and he is a friend so the haggling bit doesn't raise it's head - he just tells me what the base figure is. Unfortunately they don't sell motorhomes!

We were going to wait until after the Harrogate show but this van is the best we have seen so far - just hope the payload is adequate.

6. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

There is a saying no motorhomer buys the right mh until he has bought his third one, so ask questions - there is no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers and if you have read threads on here you will know there are lots of those. But there is a much greater wealth of help and advice available all for the asking

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

The dealer will know what margin he is working for. Start low, at least 10% off the price. don't be embarrassed, he will have gone through this countless times before, he's not going to walk away from a sale! he'll just negotiate with you. When you've agreed a price you are happy with, ask for extras, free hab check, free mot, tax, fuel etc. any bits and bobs from the shop. you have nothing to lose by asking.

When we bought ours like you for cash (and cash is king here) we got a good discount, free hab and mot, 20% off the shop for a year and a few other bits. Were we cheeky? Maybe, but the dealer was happy, he went as low as he wanted to.

It takes along time to earn/save £1000, this is your only chance. Go for it :thumb: and good luck.

Every £ saved is money towards diesel and actually using the thing. Good luck

8. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

You should never be afraid to haggle - it's a game, a part of business. It's not going to offend the dealer, he/she expects it and will have factored it into the price.

Decide what price you want to pay
    Ask him for "his best price"
    If it's more than you had in mind - tell him so, and make a counter offer.
    He'll then go through the usual bluff of tapping about on his PC and/or going to his manager "for approval". If he comes back with "manager says no", then tell him you're sorry his manager just cost him his commission. Get up, and be prepared to walk out. No way will he let a sale walk away so easily ;)
    If his "best price" is less than you wanted to pay, then still go in with a lower counter offer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    Don't be afraid to ask for some accessories to be fitted - so have a few ideas in the back of your mind.

Stay relaxed, enjoy the moment, and remember you always have the option of walking away :thumb:

P.S - Paying cash wont help lever a better deal. Dealers make very nice kickbacks from finance companies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

When I bought our MH it was by accident, as I was only haggling to see what his best price was, just out of curiousity. Oops!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We could take the finance deal and either pay it off right away or over a few months!

This will be our third motorhome so we have some ideas of what we want - plus a long list of what we'd like! He's more fussy than I am strange to tell.....

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'll let you know what happens. The van might not be how we remembered it as it was the last one we saw after a long day. I just hope the payload is okay - that will be a condition of sale as we need 500kg minimum, over and above any extras that may have been fitted. Again we need to check out the extras.

The MOT is a good bargaining chip - I'd expect it to come with a full year's MOT anyway - it's on a 10 plate.

The asking price is within our limit but I won't tell the dealer that!

12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

:BigGrin::Rofl1:

13. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Mike said a similar thing about you:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Ouch

15. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Our leader Jim has a great section in his book Motorhome Buyers Guide on arriving at price agreement -you really should read it and get the confidence you need

16. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Just remember, you only get what you pay for and that includes aftersales service and being looked after !

Peter

• Like Like x 5
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I agree Peter. Both customer and dealer need to be content with the contract. The dealer is reasonably local and has a reputation to uphold - as do I. I don't want either of us to feel ripped off. As a dealer yourself (unfortunately too far away for us to come and visit) you know the score.

18. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Have you considered buying privately? If you have cash you can save heaps. We were able to afford a newer mh by buying privately. Of course there is no warranty if anythings wrong but we insisted on a full garage check and habitation. If you see any near Glasgow let me know. I love haggling. In fact my aunt calls mum and I bonnie and clyde cos she says we are a pair of robbers.:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

When I bought mine, I offered 15% less , no was the reply, ok I will think about it, as it was more than I was going to pay, it was cash, I got told they make more on finance, after having a coffee I decided to go for it, as it was the model I had been trying to find for ages, in the end I paid 10% less with a 12 months warranty, a Fiamma awning of my own choice of colour, just over a third of the price it would have cost me later, also things that needed doing were done, great after service, so I think we were both happy.I was :BigGrin:

Plus 12 months MOT

• Like Like x 1
  20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Thanks! I've only ever seen this variant of the model for sale twice - both in dealers. I'm told it was a special edition and there are very few around, although there are several of the "base" model. THis could be hype of course. I'm not too bothered about getting the special edition but himself fell for the special big time. I just hope the second viewing doesn't disappoint. I keep telling him that if it's for us it won't go past us and there is no hurry. I have no problems buying privately as we have a very good motor mechanic within half a mile and Mill Garages (who are converters) are in Duns.

I still think it would be worth waiting until after Harrogate before we make a commitment and if the van we are interested in has sold before then so be it.

If we see a van near Glasgow (DD lives in Ibrox) we'll probably take you up on your offer. The van we are going to see is at Knowepark - the Chausson Welcome WS 130.

http://www.kpcm.co.uk/cgi-bin/details.pl?v_vin=15083

When we saw it for the first time it had just come in and hadn't been cleaned so we know exactly how long they've had it. :Wink: We were looking at a Flash 04 they had (since sold) and the salesman showed us the Welcome for comparison.