Pressure Cooker

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Clive, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I have just bought a pressure cooker from Amazon, mainly because I had a voucher that paid for most of it, for the van. I've been trying it at home and all I can say is wow, like a slow cooker but in minutes rather than hours. Anyone got any fail safe recipes for me to try :cool:

2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Do you like curry?

3. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I use mine to cook bacon joints rather than boil ,cooks in half the time and keeps all the juices and flavour ,brilliant tool in the kitchen..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

We've an old Prestige one,it's in the shed, maybe I can sort spares on interweb and put it back in service. It's about 40 years old so spares could be an issue. Now I've been reminded it could well be put back into service.

5. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I just remember grey meat, soft potatoes and carrots in the 70's and the scary noise.

I'd imagine most slow cooker receipts would work but obviously be quicker.

Google Pinterest pressure cooker, might be something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

You can pick up spares easily in the French hypermarkets. They seem to have loads of bits.

Denise

7. sedge

sedge Funster

That reminded me, the gasket on our pressure cooker has started to drip a little and I did think last time I used it before Xmas, Ah - must remember to get a new one.

I have had to do this once since I've been with Pete - ie since 1998 and the cooker WELL pre-dates our relationship.

Have just looked on the Prestige website and they sell the seals quite cheaply but don't show the measurements ! You have to know the model no of your cooker and of course the only number I can find is 1242 on the bottom of the pan - of course, they are all 5 digit ones now and all start with a 5 ! Last time I took the old one into Coventry market to the stall that sold all the cookware, she said Oh that's a whatever, produced one in the Prestige wrapping, I paid her and that was that.

Haven't been into the market (hardly ever go into Cov anyway) since I left work in 2008 and the stall had gone by then anyway.

Anyone got any bright ideas? We don't take the thing in the MoHo as it takes up far too much room - but we do use it from time to time at home.

8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

• Like Like x 2
  9. dryad

dryad Funster

have always been nervous of pressure cookers probably due to my mothers disastrous efforts with one that must have come off the ark, but having looked through some of the recipes in scousebirds link and found one for braised lamb shanks in red wine, cooked in 30 minutes and sitting here drooling, think i may possibly give a modern pressure cooker some thought.. :)
    (have been awake since 2am, again!, feels like lunchtime now..) :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

If you're going to France this year just take the old gasket with you and try it up against the ones they sell! My pressure cooker is a Tefal one but I don't think the gasket I bought was but it still fitted.

Denise

11. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Wonder why they are so popular in France and not over here?

David

12. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

Must admit my memories of my mothers one was like something out of Dante's Inferno, the one I just bought is nothing like that. Has a dial on the top to set the pressure to medium or high. When finished you just set it to zero to release the steam quickly. Came with a separate lid so you can also use it in the oven. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

There was one in Aldi yesterday (left over from last weeks specials, I think, so may not be available everywhere now) Russell Hobbs 4 litre £22.99
    I did give it a second glance because I'm cooking for the sofa surfers at the moment, then decided against because they will be moving on shortly... :smiley:

14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We got one, but they ruin a donner kebab. :cry::cry:

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When I was a kid my Mum used one nearly every day and I soon learned how to 'tame' it too and have had one ever since we got married (I've actually got at least 3 at home, one in the static and one in the camper!) - wouldn't be without them! They are great for saving time and gas but more importantly space - if you only have a 2 ring hob as you just put all the veg in the one pan it leaves the other ring for you to do the meat on.

My pressure cooker doubles up as a chip pan too (nice and deep) and my other pans stack nicely inside it (they are Tefal Ingenio ones with removable handles).

If you need spares and have a Boyes store near you try there for a new seal as the stock all sorts of stuff.

We always use the pressure cooker for doing gammon/ham joints - put a good glug of orange cordial in the water and it makes it even yummier! Something else which is lovely when cooked in a pressure cooker is chicken - I had a whole one once that needed cooking up but it was raining outside so hubby couldn't stick it on the bbq so I thought I'd try it in the pressure cooker instead - wow, fantastic flavour and so succulent and as a bonus the cooking water made a lovely soup base.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

We too have used one for years, they make fantastic stews in minimal time. Shin beef and neck of lamb cuts are wonderful and tender after just 25 minutes.
    Veg keeps its flavour and goodness, 15 minutes and it can be blended to make great soup.
    I managed to pick up a small prestige cooker at Morrisons which I use in the MH which takes up very little room but is plenty big enough to cook for 2 people. Wouldn't be without it.
    I am sure i have seen spare pressure cooker seals in large Asda supermarkets.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Our Prestige is 35+ years old & we still use it in the van(yes you can still get parts too).

18. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

A lot of the rural french properties still have "limited" kitchen equiptment.
    Like one or two rings running off bottled gas or even "Petrole"(paraffin).

19. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

[QUOTE="sedge, post: 1266966, member: 7396

Anyone got any bright ideas? We don't take the thing in the MoHo as it takes up far too much room - but we do use it from time to time at home.[/QUOTE]
    Tescos sell Prestige spare seals. :)

20. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

multicooker.jpg

I have one of these which is an electric pressure cooker.

Cooks most meals in 30 minutes or less.

I use it a lot.

At 1kw it's not too power hungry.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2