Prep for winter (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
So have drained the water system and heater, removed the cushions and bedding, covered the windows inside with insulating/reflective board, fridge left open, heater and fridge outside vents are closed, plastic cover and insulation screen on the windscreen extending down over the bonnet to keep leaves out of the engine vents and the wiper area, …..should I close the windows completely or leave slightly open to allow ventilation? And is it really necessary to use a humidifier, as there seems conflicting views..
Have sorned the road tax till spring…what else do I need to do?

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
Just popping out in mine today (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Question....Is it really necessary to cover the fridge external vents when storing over winter?

Leaving the drivers window just cracked open an inch for ventilation is a good idea I think.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Loo diaphragm open. Wheels chocked, handbrake off. Don’t have covetable vents now, but we always used to put fridge covers on. I think there are so many air holes in vans dehumidifiers are a waste of time. We do ventilate ours on a nice sunny day every so often. We do also take it out for a run about once a month to make sure everything is circulating etc, but appreciate you can’t do that.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I stand the cushions on edge away from the side walls, drain the water and leave a roof vent cracked open. I take it for a 20 mile run every two weeks if I haven't used it.
It's on my drive so on fine dry days I open wide all doors, vents and windows but don't close them up until the evening otherwise the warmer moisture-laden air shut inside will condense as the external temp drops.

And is it really necessary to use a humidifier, as there seems conflicting views..
...........and you'll maybe get them all again now. ;)

PipBarratt

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
rapido fiat
I leave the heating on at 8 degrees.
Hi, do you leave the van on hook up all winter long? I’m new to all this and was wondering if this was safe to do? I’ve got a frost watch heater to run off the electric but didn’t know if it should put the hook up plug on a timer for the overnight?
Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi, do you leave the van on hook up all winter long? I’m new to all this and was wondering if this was safe to do? I’ve got a frost watch heater to run off the electric but didn’t know if it should put the hook up plug on a timer for the overnight?
Thanks
I do - but there are various views on whether it is the best way to take care of the leisure battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back